PDA

View Full Version : Rating Bar

chhoda
Nov 20, 2008, 08:47 AM
I am needed to show a rating bar where I can show movie ratings like 3 stars, 4 stars 3 and half stars. Is there a similar control available in iphone sdk ? Android seems to have one ... :)

regards
ch

detz
Nov 20, 2008, 10:14 AM
I am needed to show a rating bar where I can show movie ratings like 3 stars, 4 stars 3 and half stars. Is there a similar control available in iphone sdk ? Android seems to have one ... :)

regards
ch

No but it would be hard to make. If I was asked to do this I would probably go this route:

Subclass UIView
In the drawrect area first fill a rect the percent of the "stars" So, if you have a total of 5 stars and the rating is 2 stars that would be 40% so fill the rect 40 of the total size. So, if your rect is 100px fill the color in only 40 percent.
Once the rect is drawn simply put an image with transparent stars on top of it and the color will show through to the correct percentage.

Even I'm confused with this but it makes sense to me, hope it helps.

jnic
Nov 20, 2008, 10:31 AM
There's no built-in control, but it's trivial to throw together a couple of UIImageViews to get the same effect.

UIImage* star0 = [UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"star0" ofType:@"png"]];
UIImage* star1 = [UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"star1" ofType:@"png"]];

for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) {

int xPos = star0.size.width * i;
int yPos = whatever;

if (i < rating) [self someDrawImageMethod:xPos :yPos :star1];
else [self someDrawImageMethod:xPos :yPos :star0];
}

- (void)someDrawImageMethod:(int)xPos :(int)yPos :(UIImage *)image {

CGRect frame = CGRectMake(xPos, yPos, image.size.width, image.size.height);
UIImageView *imageView = [[UIImageView alloc] initWithFrame:frame];
imageView.image = image;

[self.view addSubview:imageView];
}

// Release, etc.

Extend for the case with half stars (i to 10, i % 2 == 1 to test for halves) and you're set.

EDIT: detz's method is really nice too; cuts down on the number of images you create and handles floats rather than just ints.