Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NMRB04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I am really interested in getting an ipod touch, i am just not really sure on the extra costs you have to pay. like do you have to pay for the internet, email??:confused: I know to download the movies and itunes you have to pay. but i just dont understand how all this works. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for all your help!

Nicole

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You hop on a preexisting Wi-Fi network for Internet-based applications. You're either paying for home Internet service and have a home Wi-Fi network or you use a public one. There are no fees other than what you're already paying. You cannot get Internet access just anywhere.

NMRB04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
cool so as long as i have my home internet i will be fine!! Can you download movies for it anywhere else besides itunes?

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Hello,

If you have a wireless internet connection in your house, you will be able to connect to the internet and send and receive email for free (i.e. yahoo mail etc.). You can also use any free wireless connection anywhere in the world (e.g. your friends house, some stores). There is no cost associated with using your iPod Touch (other than your normal monthly fee for internet access at home).

Apple offers an email service and if you decide to use it there will be a yearly fee.

Hope that helps.

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
cool so as long as i have my home internet i will be fine!! Can you download movies for it anywhere else besides itunes?

You download movies via iTunes on your Mac or PC, and then sync them to your iPod. You can't directly download movies onto your iPod, unless there's a third party app somewhere that I'm not aware of. So, you can download movies however you would like on your PC, and then you may have to convert them to get them to play on your iPod. There are several free applications that you can use to do that.

NMRB04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
thanks everyone... you where all so helpful here and nice. which ipod touch does everyone recommend?

markintellect

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
thanks everyone... you where all so helpful here and nice. which ipod touch does everyone recommend?

A new one, with as much storage as you can afford. Or, if you don't need the new features, an older model with more storage is OK. Both have the App Store and so on, so the older version isn't outdated just yet.

NMRB04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Ok thanks everyone for you help.... it has really helped me.:rolleyes:

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
A new one, with as much storage as you can afford. Or, if you don't need the new features, an older model with more storage is OK. Both have the App Store and so on, so the older version isn't outdated just yet.

You still have to pay for the 2.0 update (which includes the app store) on the old one. Its not included.

Not unless you have a wireless router. You can use a standard wired internet connection to download and sync anything you want to the ipod but you'll have to connect it to the computer each time. However you wont be able to use the web browser or many other functions unless you have a wifi hotspot...aka...a wireless router.

NMRB04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
You still have to pay for the 2.0 update (which includes the app store) on the old one. Its not included.

Not unless you have a wireless router. You can use a standard wired internet connection to download and sync anything you want to the ipod but you'll have to connect it to the computer each time. However you wont be able to use the web browser or many other functions unless you have a wifi hotspot...aka...a wireless router.

I do have a verizon wireless router for my internet at home. So i should be ok then right?

tucker61

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2008
Movies

download movies to your pc, convert to mp4 format, and sync to iPod, through iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.