PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Ti HardDrive

mohicanspap
Nov 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
I have a power ti and today when I turned it on the harddrive was making a rythmic clicking sound and I am unable to access the computer. Is there any solutions to this outside of data recovery?

Thanks

Sirus2400
Nov 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
I have a power ti and today when I turned it on the harddrive was making a rythmic clicking sound and I am unable to access the computer. Is there any solutions to this outside of data recovery?

Thanks

You could try putting the HD in the freezer for a few hours (in a ziplock). It may help you get some data off of it, but its definitely time to get a new HD.

mknawabi
Nov 20, 2008, 07:59 PM
Stick the HD in an external drive enclosure and use another Mac to backup the data. Be very careful though, you're running on borrowed time.

mohicanspap
Nov 20, 2008, 08:02 PM
Stick the HD in an external drive enclosure and use another Mac to backup the data. Be very careful though, you're running on borrowed time.

Would this be any similar to starting the comp in target mode? (T) I have tried that and it doesn't work.

Typical situation. I have an essay paper on there and it is due tomorrow!!!!

mohicanspap
Nov 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
For what it's worth, I can hear the hard drive spinning but there is also a clicking noise. There are no grinding noises or anything like that

mknawabi
Nov 20, 2008, 08:23 PM
Would this be any similar to starting the comp in target mode? (T) I have tried that and it doesn't work.

Typical situation. I have an essay paper on there and it is due tomorrow!!!!

It is similar, but not completely. You might want to try opening the drive with an ubuntu live CD