Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
Has anyone had experience with the refurbished PB's? I am looking to buy the 15" 1.25ghz PB very soon and wondering if I should get the refurbished (2099$) or not save 250$ (2339$ w/gov. disc.) and get a brand new one.

Another thing is that by using my Visa card to purchase the PB I can get up to 4 yrs of warranty, so I am not getting applecare- after two years (it gives you a free matching factory warranty to what apple gives- so apple and one year visa) I can opt to buy another year or two of service for 150$. Has anyone had experience with the visa warranty services??

gemio17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
oh yeah-and I'm sick of waiting for an update, I have been waiting 3 months to buy a new computer. I'm not worried about the g5 laptop coz I won't be able to afford it even when it does come out. so I'm biting the bullet on this one. the 15" is perfect for what I need it for, I can't take the waiting game any longer....

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
i bought a refurb iBook last year. except for the 'reconditioned by apple' sticker on the side of the box, you would never know it wasnt factory new. not even fingerprints on the slick white casing. zero dead/stuck pixels too.

i would have no problem buying refurb from apple. thats just my experience.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
so I went ahead and placed my order- but one thing - has anyone had any experience with the visa warranty program????

rschapel

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
Visa warranty

I too am intrested to hear about visa warranty, has anybody used this before? I mean its free, and I am not going to need software support....

--Randy

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Visa Warranty

Be careful regarding the Visa warranty... read all of the terms and conditions on your credit card offer. Most likely, they'll only cover manufacturing defects, and won't be as flexible as some apple reps are in replacing things. You'll still have to pay the $49 to call Apple in the first year to get it covered by Apple's warranty after the first 90 days.

rschapel

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
But

BUT thats only if is not a hardware problem right? I mean if it turns out to be software, so be it, its my bad and I pay the $$. If it does turn out to be hardware I shouldn't have to pay 49$ dollars right? That would be sad.. REALLY sad..

Tell me it aint so....

Also from what I hear Apple really isn't all that great about replacing things becuase I break them.. I have an option under my home warranty for 7 bucks a year they will cover a 1000 dollars worth of the laptop, so for 14 dollars a year if something horrible does happen as a accident I would be covered under that. Still I would love to hear from somebody who has tried the old credit card warranty, anobody out there?

--Randy

gemio17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
if something goes wrong with my pb I would just either bring it into work (helps having mac nerd co-workers) or to the actual apple store's genius bar- visa will cover repairs, replace if it's stolen- and if there are man. defects that I need to get repaired more than 3x's, they'll replace the unit. I guess I'll try it out and see how it goes.....sounds good to me even after reading the fine print

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.