Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaxTrax!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I have an original Xserve G4 1GHz running Panther Server, and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade to Tiger client without doing a fresh install?

I know the risks involved and all of that stuff, and I do have a full backup of the installation. Though Panther Server is installed, the server isn't actually being used as a "mac server" in the sense that its not a file server or a web server or anything like that. What it is doing is hosting a very expensive proprietary newspaper subscription management software (of which my company no longer has the original installation files for). And the company I work for is so small that there are never more than 10 connections to the xserve anyway.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Filesharing under a Tiger Client is not condusive for a network environment.

And with such a propritory software system, its not good practice to be messing with it.

WaxTrax!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008

The system isn't being used as a file server, just the newspaper management software, which is web-based, and only one person at a time can be connected to it, so Tiger Client's 10-connection limit isn't an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.