Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
hi, i have a 1st generation macbook...had it since they first came out 2+ years back...recently, about 4 days ago, the fan has begun to spin uncontrollably...about 4 mins after i turn the computer on the fan revs up and just keeps on going...this was never the case in the past 2 years ive owned the computer unless i was running something that really pushed the computer...like a video game or streaming videos...however now it happens when i have nothing but firefox open...anyone experience this problem or have a potential fix? this is very inconvenient as the fan is spinning at full speed and i cant use my laptop in class....any help would be greatly appreciated...

just checked activity monitor and the computer is running at about 35% idle....is this normal?...i only have adium and firefox open

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can you download iStat and get a clearer picture of how many processes are running versus the RPM of your fan speed?

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Can you download iStat and get a clearer picture of how many processes are running versus the RPM of your fan speed?
here we are....

Picture1.png

as i post this the fan is running like crazy

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
It doesn't seem right to me that your heatsink A is much hotter than your CPU. Assuming your readings are in degree C, 127 C is unusually high for the Al-MB. (see mine for comparison)

What are the temperatures when you boot up in the morning? If it is anywhere this high, you need to talk to Apple.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 57

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Whatever that Lexmark process is, it's using up the most power. Try quitting that process and see if it brings everything down to normal...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Your fan is probably clogged up with dust/crud. Did you take out Apple Care?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
It doesn't seem right to me that your heatsink A is much hotter than your CPU. Assuming your readings are in degree C, 127 C is unusually high for the Al-MB. (see mine for comparison)

What are the temperatures when you boot up in the morning? If it is anywhere this high, you need to talk to Apple.

OP doesn't have Alu MB ... read first post.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
WOW
it was def that lexmark thing...what the ****... i guess i need to uninstall that driver...thanks alot guys!
fan stopped as soon as i quit the process

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
iStat gives strange readings on 2GHz Core Duo machines - one minute it says 120F for Heatsink A then will suddenly say 25F....

Sounds like a print job that never finished.....

yes i think that is the case...will the computer reopen that print job again when i reboot? or will it be fine now that ive ended the process?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
yes i think that is the case...will the computer reopen that print job again when i reboot? or will it be fine now that ive ended the process?

Try it :) But it should be fine now that you ended it... That happened to me once with Finder.. it was racking up CPU and the temperature was just climbing.... Once i saw it in Activity Monitor, i ended it and everything returned to normal..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.