Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgrier

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Does genius only work for music that you have bought from itunes? If so then ok that's the reason why genius doesnt work for me. None of my 1500 songs are from itunes. If it should still work then what? Does it have something to do with my TAG Information?

In the Name section of every song i always have the artist and the title
Example:

Name: The Game - Remedy
Artist: The Game
Ablum: -

Do you think i need to clean up my tags for genius to work? Does every song need the album??? I have my whole music collection separated into 2 albums (sort of like a playlist)... that would suck...

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Take the artist name out of your track titles and see how well Genius fares then. It looks distinctly like your tags are stopping Genius working as it relies on correct metadata.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Does genius only work for music that you have bought from itunes?

Take the artist name out of your track titles and see how well Genius fares then. It looks distinctly like your tags are stopping Genius working as it relies on correct metadata.

The song does not have to be purchased from iTunes. It also does not have to be a perfect match to the iTunes or Gracenote metadata. I think the issue is more that iTunes has to be able to make a high-likelihood match between your song and a specific song in their Genius database. In my experience, adding things like additional artists in parentheses in the song title doesn't hurt it. But in your example... do you leave the album field blank on all your songs? That's probably not going to work....

OTOH, I don't know if having it at the end instead of the beginning makes a difference (i.e. I don't know if "Remedy (The Game)" would get matched, although I tend to think it would, based on my own songs, if the other data like the album name were there....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.