PDA

View Full Version : Spam production is up while stocks are down

joepunk
Nov 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
The food product that is :p

AUSTIN, Minn., Nov. 16 (UPI) -- One factory in the United States has been busy for months as the rest of the economy slows down -- the Hormel Foods (NYSE:HRL) plant that makes Spam.
The factory in Austin, Minn., has been operating two shifts a day seven days a week producing the canned lunch meat, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported. Workers, with all the overtime they can handle, have been told the long hours are likely to continue indefinitely.

Dan Bartel, a business agent for United Food and Commercial Workers Local 9, told the Times that Spam "seems to do well when hard times hit." The lunch meat is reasonably priced protein, if not gourmet food.

Other budget food items are doing well. A spokeswoman for Safeway said sales of rice and beans are up and surveys found that pancake mix and beer sold well in October.

"We'll probably see Spam lines instead of soup lines," Bartel said.

Link (http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/11/16/Spam_sales_up_as_economy_heads_down/UPI-56931226817394/)

GSMiller
Nov 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
I watched a video about this on CNN just before you posted...

Kinda made me want some fried Spam :)

mknawabi
Nov 22, 2008, 03:48 AM
Hm, I have never actually tried SPAM. I wonder what it tastes like ? :(

TwinCities Dan
Nov 22, 2008, 03:54 AM
SPAM is an "aquired taste", hehehehe... ;)

I've worked at their HQ, in Austin, MN and lemme tell'ya, they're proud of it! It was made as a war-time staple but now a delicacy... Either you get it, or you don't... :)

rdowns
Nov 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
I tried it once when my college roommate bought some. I gagged and spit it out. <shudder>

kwood
Nov 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm told it tastes a lot like canned ham... but I'm not all that sure. I know I really like canned ham for no particular reason.

mknawabi
Nov 22, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yeeesh, I don't think I want to try it after taking a look at their packaging again.

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/1559606_340_1116081430036-spam.jpg

thomahawk
Nov 22, 2008, 03:43 PM
lmao!
you mainland people dont appreciate the awesomeness of SPAM here in Hawaii! xD

irmongoose
Nov 22, 2008, 05:25 PM
I can go for some spam musubi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi) any day. In fact, let me go to Walmart and buy some right now... :o

irmongoose

iJohnHenry
Nov 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
Raw Spam is an acquired taste. :mad:

But fried up in some butter is an entirely different matter.

Had many a fried Spam sandwich in my youth. We were skint, to put it mildly.

Spam!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6N5m8FpVg)

An afterthought. Swift's Prem was the cream-de-la-cream of luncheon meats for us. :D

TwinCities Dan
Nov 22, 2008, 05:41 PM
Raw Spam is an acquired taste. :mad:

But fried up in some butter is an entirely different matter.

Had many a fried Spam sandwich in my youth. We were skint, to put it mildly.

Spam!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6N5m8FpVg)

Years ago I was a YMCA camp counselor and when camping we would make "Boxcars"

A small slab of SPAM fried up with some brown sugar and a 1/2 slice of cheese on top...

Mmmm....I still make them occasionally, but my wife hates them so it is a rare treat...

Big-TDI-Guy
Nov 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
Last time I had Spam - I was in the woods in Maine for 3 weeks. (well over a decade ago)

I'd like to keep it that way. :o

Does anyone else think of cat food when they open the can and get that first whiff?

iJohnHenry
Nov 22, 2008, 06:01 PM
Be upwind when you open it. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/MMafter03.gif

bunit
Nov 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
SPAM is good. Was just at the store and picked some up. Didn't know you can buy it in individually sliced packages! How cool!

Big-TDI-Guy
Nov 22, 2008, 06:13 PM
As if a gelatinous mass of protein was hard to cut in the first pace. ;)

Random thought.

Does anyone else's cat look at them like they're an @$$hole when they pop open a can of Spam, and then cook it. (the cat thinking, WTF?!? that's MY food!)

bunit
Nov 22, 2008, 06:19 PM
Does anyone else's cat look at them like they're an @$$hole when they pop open a can of Spam, and then cook it. (the cat thinking, WTF?!? that's MY food!)

Yes, Especially when you don't give the cat any. And the cat won't leave you alone until it is gone.

iJohnHenry
Nov 22, 2008, 06:21 PM
Protein is protein. :confused:

The time to satiate your more delicate tastes might be in remission. ;)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/MMafter03.gif

TwinCities Dan
Nov 22, 2008, 06:24 PM
As if a gelatinous mass of protein was hard to cut in the first pace. ;)

Random thought.

Hahaha, I don't make it enough for our cats to know what it is. I can tell you that tuna drives them crazy! And my wife is a push over for her cats, so if she's making the tuna sammich (Yep, now I'm stealin' that term as well ;) :p) the cats get more of the tuna then my sammich. :(

ddeadserious
Nov 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
Haha interesting eh?

iJohnHenry
Nov 22, 2008, 07:14 PM
When times get tough, the cats get TCD. :p

InvalidUserID
Nov 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
Mmmmm...spam.

My family is from Hawaii so I grew up on spam, egg and rice for breakfast. LOL, I'm surprised I turned out so petite as I did considering I ate spam so much as a kid.

I rarely eat it now but the smell of fried spam brings back memories.

TwinCities Dan
Nov 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
When times get tough, the cats get TCD. :p

Hahaha, let's hope times don't get that tough! :eek:

Moof1904
Nov 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
I used to work at Macromedia on a development team. Whenever we were working on a new product, we referred to it by a code name in all communications to prevent word of an unreleased product leaking to the outside world. One time we chose "Spam" as a code name for one of our products (I think it was a version of FreeHand).

We called Hormel and told them that we were using "Spam" as a code name for one of our products and asked if they could send some fun Spam-related stuff for our development team. They sent a ton of stuff. Spam t-shirts, Spam toys, Spam stickers, you name it. I think they even sent us a bunch of Spam. It was wacky, Spammy fun.

SactoGuy18
Nov 24, 2008, 12:13 AM
I have 12 cans of low-sodium SPAM sitting in my cupboard right now. It tastes really good diced up and stir-fried with green onions over rice. :D

ezekielrage_99
Nov 24, 2008, 02:58 AM
SPAM is eaten by 3 types of people:
- Stoners
- Hawaiians
- University Students

But with that said I have on occasions had some SPAM.... mmmmm SPAM :rolleyes:

MasterNile
Nov 24, 2008, 03:19 AM
- Stoners
- Hawaiians
- University Students

But with that said I have on occasions had some SPAM.... mmmmm SPAM :rolleyes:

I'm not any of the above (anymore, used to be the first one but hoping to find a new job and better to be clean for a drug test) and I still very much enjoy fried spam w/ eggs and cheese, either by themselves or in a breakfast burrito :p

Big-TDI-Guy
Nov 24, 2008, 03:27 AM
Wow - I never knew there was such variety!

I find the bottom-right one especially disturbing.

iBlue
Nov 24, 2008, 03:38 AM
^ oh yes. Clearly you've never been to a grocery store in Hawaii. They have an aisle dedicated to the mighty SPAM.

I spent a couple months in Hawaii and I thought their SPAM habits were strange at first, but then someone made me SPAM and eggs and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it.

ezekielrage_99
Nov 26, 2008, 06:00 AM
I'm not any of the above (anymore, used to be the first one but hoping to find a new job and better to be clean for a drug test) and I still very much enjoy fried spam w/ eggs and cheese, either by themselves or in a breakfast burrito :p

When I was in Hawaii I got hooked on the Turkey Spam, Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Toast for breakfast... Seriously the best hangover food :cool:

Abstract
Nov 26, 2008, 06:12 AM
I used to love spam. Haven't had it in awhile, except at one place whenever I order wonton soup for takeaway/takeout. It comes with like 8 wontons, broccoli, and a slice of spam all sitting in a nice soup. This costs me around $2.50 USD.

I used to love spamwiches as a kid. :)

- Stoners
- Hawaiians
- University Students

And Asian people. Asian people don't mind the processed stuff, and that includes spam. Many Japanese people loooove tiny hot dogs. They're not even the "good" hot dogs. They like the most processed stuff, especially at breakfast.