Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
caffeine is interesting...one thing most people dont know is that espresso can often contain less caffeine than a cup of coffee...it has to do with how you brew it. espresso is brewed from water shooting through at high pressure but at a very fast speed, while coffee is made by a slow soak of the grinds.

and yea, caffeine can be terrible for you. i sort of kind of gave myself some serious acid reflux problems for a few weeks and the number one thing that needed to be pulled from my diet was caffeien...sucks since i run a cafe.

bah.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I admit to not having read the article, but all I can say is that if we started to not eat anything that was bad for us, we would have a pretty dull diet. Most things that are good taste-wise are usually bad health-wise you in some way. Even water can be bad for you, granted you have to drink a whole load of it (it "blows" your kidneys - not nice!).

every thing in moderation.

i dont drink any coffee at all. iv survived high school with out it, and i plan to survive college with out it. granded i do enjoy a latte or an ice coffee or a cappucino here and there, but these arent regular items on my menu.

but for all my efforts of being caffene free i eat PORK BEEF all the bad stuff hehe

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by virividox

i dont drink any coffee at all. iv survived high school with out it, and i plan to survive college with out it. granded i do enjoy a latte or an ice coffee or a cappucino here and there, but these arent regular items on my menu.

but for all my efforts of being caffene free i eat PORK BEEF all the bad stuff hehe

As you said everything is moderation is the key. We just need to be sure that we have a balaced diet. Pork happens to be listed as a healthy meat. Beef is OK as long as it is only 2 - 3 times a week.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i used to be a major coffee junkie, just about any kind, i'd start off with a pot of coffee when i got up, then center my day around coffee shops. Not a good idea when you have an anxiety disorder. Anyway, after much bitching on her part, my therapist finally got me to calm it down, and now i have coffee only once in a while. i miss it! dammit... but i'm wholeheartedly addicted to mt. dew now, which is great :rolleyes:

hmm, maybe i'll make some cappucino after dinner tonight...

paul

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Caffeine is great, but right now, I'm trying to get off the stuff (for at least 6 months). After I gulped a 5-shot espresso, I realized I needed to get off before I did any more damage to my body (mind you last summer I had a panic attack from too much caffeine and sleep deprivation).

So sierra mist is my new best friend, and I've actually been feeling much better without caffeine (3 weeks and going!).

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Congratulations on your success story, dethl. Luckily I've never had a panic attack, but I know that they are very scary. I tried some Sierra Mist a couple of weeks ago, it's very tasty.
:)

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by virividox

yeah i drink green tea instead.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If the concerns continue, I could see that the caffeine content will be placed on all items that contain caffeine - candy, coffee, tea, etc. I've cut back on my caffeine intake, don't drink soda and only have it once in the morning. Although I can remember having enough to make my hands tremble - I noticed it when I was trying to sketch something and found it harder to draw straight lines :D

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I am also surprised that they don't list caffeine content on containers. I'm sure that with current leanings, it won't be long till they appear.

I don't really notice much of the effects of coffee.

hoosker

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
"they come, they say, for the aroma, the taste as well as coffee's ability to wake them up"

This what gets me going. I started roasting my own --boy is it wonderful. I did not realize how much a difference it makes to have really fresh coffee not to mention sampling specific crops from specific places around the world. Anyone interested, a good place to check out is http://sweetmarias.com/. But a word of warning. Once you start home roasting, it is hard to swallow the coffee at work!

"caffeine is interesting...one thing most people don't know is that espresso can often contain less caffeine than a cup of coffee...it has to do with how you brew it. espresso is brewed from water shooting through at high pressure but at a very fast speed, while coffee is made by a slow soak of the grinds..."

Actually it is the amount of roasting that reduces the amount of caffeine left in the bean. A very dark roast (espresso) has less because it the heat has removed allot of the caffeine! Also cheap coffee allot of times has Robusta coffee which is not known for its flavor but is cheaper and has more caffeine.

graydecember

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
coffee and caffeine are bad for the adrenal grand
just drink a cup or so to get you started in morning
very bad to be fired up all the time

highly recommend stopping cokes etc. completely, drink water

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I only drink one or two cups of coffee a day....14 oz cups. :D

It's the moderation thing, again. I'm pretty sure there was some recent study or other that said small amounts of caffiene were beneficial. But overdoing anything isn't a good idea--so keep it to that one cup in the morning, and you're fine.

The best coffee I ever had was made by a dude who'd smoked enough weed to do permanent brain damage...he made it by soaking fresh grinds in cold water in the fridge until the water turned dark and coffee-colored. Then he'd strain out the grounds and mix the cold coffee to strength and taste with hot water. He claimed it's the heat that makes coffee bitter. I've no idea if that's true, but it was the smoothest, most kick-ass coffee ever.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by wdlove
I am also surprised that they don't list caffeine content on containers. I'm sure that with current leanings, it won't be long till they appear.

I don't really notice much of the effects of coffee.

Oh and next you want them to list the ingredients of everything you buy right?

Huh?
Huh?

Whats next?

A nutritional Index?

How... Could they!

haha. kidding guys.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Originally posted by hoosker
Actually it is the amount of roasting that reduces the amount of caffeine left in the bean. A very dark roast (espresso) has less because it the heat has removed allot of the caffeine! Also cheap coffee allot of times has Robusta coffee which is not known for its flavor but is cheaper and has more caffeine.

interesting, i did not realize how much influence the roasting had over the caffienation process as well.

Great story about Arabica beans though that my boss told me...the christmas season after 9/11 he was called to the cafe by an employee who said a customer had a complaint...She began yelling at him for selling "Arab coffee" in such a precarious time....He picked up the bag she was looking at, utterly confused, and then said "Ma'am, Arabica is a type of bean, and this coffee comes from Peru, as seen by the title, Peruvian Fair trade."

I thought it was funny, and if you know that much about coffee you might get a chuckle out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.