Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hello everyone,

I've looked at some footage of Call of Duty-World at War, and it looks pretty much the same as Call of duty 4....

For those people that have it out there already and play it, is it worth getting?

Cheers.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Its Call of Duty 4 with a WWII skin....oh and a flamethrower.

If you loved COD4 then this is right up your alley.

Bless

COD4 was one of the best FPS games I've played on the 360. So if you say that, then I think I got myself a new game to play :)

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
COD4 was one of the best FPS games I've played on the 360. So if you say that, then I think I got myself a new game to play :)

Yup, that's exactly what it is. The developers knew they couldn't beat CoD4, so they just copied it ;). I can't wait to get it, but for now I've got enough games.

godspeed

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
No, it's extremely bug ridden. There are issues with getting onto servers. It experiences swings in pings on servers that COD4 doesn't have issues with and on 2 occasions I've had a BSOD. Very disappointed with this release.

Lastly the WWII weapons seriously suck vs Modern warfare. With updates some of the issues will no doubt be resolved. Maybe in 12 months it'll be released on OS X if we're lucky.......

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
No, it's extremely bug ridden. There are issues with getting onto servers. It experiences swings in pings on servers that COD4 doesn't have issues with and on 2 occasions I've had a BSOD. Very disappointed with this release.

Lastly the WWII weapons seriously suck vs Modern warfare. With updates some of the issues will no doubt be resolved. Maybe in 12 months it'll be released on OS X if we're lucky.......

This is the console games forum and I have not seen any such bugs on the 360 version.

Weapons are fine and I played CoD 4 a lot. Generally speaking the maps are far more interesting than anything in CoD 4, and allow for a bit more strategy.

Plus the best thing of all, they have hardcore war mode! :D

trin

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
california
I have it for the x360 and think its alot of fun. I too like COD4.. i really enjoy the multiplayer portion of waw.. i do like cod4 but i've been having more fun playing the team deathmatch on waw. Also, they have a zombie mode which is great fun when you have a bunch of friends playing.

not to mention, co-op on most of the single player campaign, including competitive mode..

yes, its more of the same with cod4.. with a ww2 skin as people have mentioned, but if you like cod4, then you will like this game..

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Here's a short answer: if you like COD4, then you'll like COD5. If not, then don't get it. Basically think COD4 in World War II.

I grabbed it on Amazon last week for $35 as part of their gold deals of the day, and I was skeptical about getting it as well, since it was COD4 again, until I started playing it. :eek: But the price was too hard to pass up! It's like greatest hits price, only 5 bucks more! :D

Stepper

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
North London, England
I had it, sold it yesterday to one of my mates for £20

Don't get me wrong it is a really good game, I just like COD4 too much to stop playing it and start playing WAW.

Might buy it again when I complete all the challenges and what not on COD4, but Meh...its a good game, but not better (no where near to be honest) then COD4.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I can't decide if I want this either. My friend got it for PS3 and it would be cool to play the campaign together and to level up together as well.

I loved COD4 but I'm not sure I want the same thing, just in WWII setting. There are still plenty of people playing COD4 online to fill that desire. Does COD5 have trophies for the PS3?

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I got the game because my friend has it and I wanted to play online with him. Though I really like playing online with him, I think Call of Duty 4 is an all around better game.

P-Worm

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Let me rephrase: if you want COD4 in a WWII format, then get it. If not, then don't get it. It's a rebadged COD4. I finished it last night, and it was awesome. But I wouldn't say its better than COD4.

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I found myself laughing at stuff like a misplaced respawn right infront of the guy who just killed me, because I can blame the game instead of how much I suck, like in COD4. COD4 had no room for error and if you screwed up, it was your fault. As a casual gamer, I didn't like that.

In World at War, I found myself laughing more and more often. Bugs aren't always a bad thing. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.