Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radionickhead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I've had my macbook for about a month. It's starting to get slow though. I type quite fast, and whether its in adium/firefox/safari - I type and the text takes a while to "register" onto the screen.
This is also the case when using backspace and two finger scrolling. I did a verify disk and it said the disk is "ok". Apparently I have to run repair disk with the startup cd but since it said the disk is "ok" I figured it wouldnt be necessary.
I'm currently on 2gb RAM, but it wasn't this slow to begin with anyway. Any ideas anyone?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've had my macbook for about a month. It's starting to get slow though. I type quite fast, and whether its in adium/firefox/safari - I type and the text takes a while to "register" onto the screen.
This is also the case when using backspace and two finger scrolling. I did a verify disk and it said the disk is "ok". Apparently I have to run repair disk with the startup cd but since it said the disk is "ok" I figured it wouldnt be necessary.
I'm currently on 2gb RAM, but it wasn't this slow to begin with anyway. Any ideas anyone?

Open Activity Monitor and see if there are any processes taking up a LOT of memory or CPU. IF there are, close them and see if that helps...

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
A lot of icons/folders/files on your desktop can slow macs down awfully.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I know you said it's getting slow. But is it really slower than a month ago when you first got it, or you just starting to notice the lagging now.

Either way, try do a maintenance with Oynx. It's been known to speed things up.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
sounds like a reboot is in order. also go to sysprefs/accounts/login items and see what lurks.

dextermorgan

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Had mine for about a month and I have noticed a definite slow down. Gonna try Onyx but you're not alone OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.