Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swordsman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2003
Hello Mates,

I'm in the market for a webcam right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Of course, the iSight is one. But what I'd like to know is what's the best non-Apple webcam -- that can run on Panther. I want to stream images onto my website. Any help from people who have experience with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Swordsman

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I think you can use video cameras so that would i guess produce a much better image becuase of the quality of the lense and things like that if you get or have a good one

simply258

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Bahrain
should i wait or buy an iSight ? cuz its been quite a while since it was released and im afraid if i buy it at what is quite a high price compared to similar cams apple would come out with an iSight 2 or Exteme or whatever.

SPeedY_B

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2004
Midlands, UK
Not to my knowledge, friends gone offline now so I can't ask at the moment.

Most cam's if they come with software, it's usually only drivers (not needed for mac) and some rubbish image capture application anyway.

Swordsman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2003
I just got a Logitech Zoom online. Thanks for the recommendation, Speedy. I'll let you guys know how it runs when it gets here and I have it set up.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by Swordsman
I just got a Logitech Zoom. But my PB17 isn't detecting it. Help???
I think logitech zoom is a usb cam..SO it wont work on your pb as such. It only takes firewire cams. It may work if logitech gave you any drivers for mac, which I suspect not..
And mate ..logitech sucks ..i got a joystick some days back which said mac on it..still it didnt have any drivers for mac and i had to return it..

EDIT: NO I was wrong, logitech has mac drivers for zoom. goto logitech.com and click downloads..
BUt i still stand on"logitech sucks" comment:D

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
sorry i havent used evocam, so wont be able to help there..But I know that evocam uses ftp to upload images to any remote server..so may be you should just play around the controls anit or perhaps check out evocam website
best of luck
cheers

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by abhishekit
I think logitech zoom is a usb cam..SO it wont work on your pb as such. It only takes firewire cams. It may work if logitech gave you any drivers for mac, which I suspect not..
And mate ..logitech sucks ..i got a joystick some days back which said mac on it..still it didnt have any drivers for mac and i had to return it..

EDIT: NO I was wrong, logitech has mac drivers for zoom. goto logitech.com and click downloads..
BUt i still stand on"logitech sucks" comment:D

I have had many (and still have) logitech products, and yet to have one problem with any of them. To me, logitech so far is one of the top companies.
Although as for a webcam, Isight would be cool.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by Rezet
I have had many (and still have) logitech products, and yet to have one problem with any of them. To me, logitech so far is one of the top companies.
Although as for a webcam, Isight would be cool.
ahh..dont worry about my comment..i am upset with logitech coz i couldnt get the joystick to work

Swordsman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2003
Fellas, I've got it up and running. It's great. Thanks for everyone who recommended Logitech as an alternative for the iSight. The quality is great. Also, evocam is awesome. So easy to use!

Now, I'm curious to see how the iSight works.

Best to all,
Swordsman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.