PDA

View Full Version : Would an iBook Work?

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 22, 2008, 05:17 PM
Hey,
I am a fan of clamshells and can only get one within the $50.00 vicinity. :(
I aleready have an iMac G5 plus the other macs that my family and I use. So really, it would be a knock around laptop for travel and in the bed. I saw a website (www.G3macs.com) which appears to be a recycling site that sells clammies and powerbook G3's for 15 dollars. Where else BESIDES eBay could
I find a deal this good? Also, tips on clammie care, issues and opinions/ advice would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- This is my first post, for I am a newbie :D http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Blue Velvet
Nov 22, 2008, 05:23 PM
What about Craigslist New Jersey? (http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/nj)

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 22, 2008, 05:33 PM
What about Craigslist New Jersey? (http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/nj)

Iv'e looked-all those are out of my range. I wanted to see what our school district was doing with their's which are called obsolete,but the trade them in to apple for the ubiquitous white macbook carts:mad::apple:

But I appreciate your help so write back.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 22, 2008, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have an experience with getting a mac from a thrift shop , junkyard or recycler? Also the website is Mac Recycler.com, notG3macs.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif
More importantly, does anyone have an clammie? Do you like it?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gifhttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 23, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hello all,
I am looking for an clamshell iBook to use for internet, email and word processing in the bed or while traveling. :) A local recycler has these for cheap. They will probably have OS9 or 8. With one of the above operating systems, wiil it work for my basic needs?

See also- Clamshell iBook

mkrishnan
Nov 23, 2008, 09:08 AM
See also- Clamshell iBook

Actually, one thread will be plenty. ;)

It will work fine as long as you... are not looking for a lot of speed, do not wish to use flash-intensive websites or streaming video much, and do not mind using older versions of software.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 23, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks mkrishnan,
Do I need an airport card to connect to the net? Also, will 64 megs of ram and a 3 gb hard drive be okay, if it's a revision A clammie? Check out the recycler's site at WWW.g3apples.com :D :apple: ;)

bozz2006
Nov 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
I looked at that website, and I'm pretty sure those prices are what they would pay you for your old computer.

mkrishnan
Nov 23, 2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks mkrishnan,
Do I need an airport card to connect to the net? Also, will 64 megs of ram and a 3 gb hard drive be okay, if it's a revision A clammie? Check out the recycler's site at WWW.g3apples.com :D :apple: ;)

I'm not really sure, but I think if you use OS8/9, an older version of Opera or the like, and an old suite like Appleworks, it should be fine. You'd need the airport card unless you want to plug an ethernet cable in to connect to the net.

I really wouldn't pay much at all for this... like <$150, definitely. I don't know what going prices are at all, but a late G3 class iBook (the ones that look like the iBook G4, with 700-900MHz G3's) that can run Panther at least, goes for about $250-300, and an early G4 class iBook that can run Tiger can be had for $400 or less, so I would use those as bounding boxes with respect to getting a clamshell...

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 23, 2008, 12:38 PM
Would it be worth the $15-$25 to just buy it? Also, what should I expect to be included?

BTW- at the bootom of the page it says '' Click here for even more deals on macs '' or something like that:p:apple:

silverblack
Nov 23, 2008, 01:59 PM
In addition to the slower speed, there's one more thing you should consider.

For a laptops this old, be prepared to get one with a completely dead battery (hold charge for less than a few minutes). While you definitely won't want to travel with it, it may even be a problem to use it around the house.

bozz2006
Nov 23, 2008, 02:17 PM
Would it be worth the $15-$25 to just buy it? Also, what should I expect to be included?

BTW- at the bootom of the page it says '' Click here for even more deals on macs '' or something like that:p:apple:

those are NOT the prices to purchase. They're the price you get for selling your old computer to them. i navigated around a bit and found this

http://WWW.g3apples.com/store.html

that takes you here:

http://www.custommacs.com/

and THAT is their store.

GimmeSlack12
Nov 23, 2008, 02:22 PM

Just make sure its turns on I guess. I mean $25 is worth the risk I guess, but honestly, why? Those machines are pretty pointless these days and if you aren't familiar with OS 9 (Classic) then you might find yourself slightly confused at what is going on.

I don't think its worth your time really. You should expect the computer only, probably no guarantee it will even have an OS loaded and 64 megs and 3Gbs brings home my point more that this machine is kind of pointless to own. Just my thoughts though :o

California
Nov 23, 2008, 02:27 PM
If you can put the max ram in and a bigger and faster hard drive and find a battery somewhere, they might be worth it. I have friends on G3 Pismos still. But try to find the 366 and up CPU'ed model.

Panther or even Tiger with Dashboard disabled would work fine.

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
wow those things are old...

sporadicMotion
Nov 23, 2008, 04:20 PM

Those are definitely prices to sell your mac.

Save your dollars and cents if you want one and get something a little newer of off ebay or craigslist. The toilet seat iBooks are very cool in a retro sort of way... but realistically, something newer (even just a little) will work as a better intro to the Mac world. If were you, I would look into something along the lines of a white iBook or if you're willing to go desktop, an iMac or MacMini.

I hope you find something in your price range.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 06:22 AM
Hey, listen. I use an G5 iMac as my main machine, so a clamshell would be there for me to surf, use email and word,and to just enjoy the design. I am
aware that my G5 can run circles around it and that it is no MacPro, but eventually, I may put in more memory and a slightly bigger HD, as I will do for my G5 when it is too slow for my needs. It will probably take some serious discounting for me to buy a 300mhz model, for the 366-466 models are faster, have more memory and a bigger hard drive, and won't be too big of an investment.:):apple::D Now that you know my expectations more, please post.

ftaok
Nov 24, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hey, listen. I use an G5 iMac as my main machine, so a clamshell would be there for me to surf, use email and word,and to just enjoy the design. I am
aware that my G5 can run circles around it and that it is no MacPro, but eventually, I may put in more memory and a slightly bigger HD, as I will do for my G5 when it is too slow for my needs. It will probably take some serious discounting for me to buy a 300mhz model, for the 366-466 models are faster, have more memory and a bigger hard drive, and won't be too big of an investment.:):apple::D Now that you know my expectations more, please post.
I have an old iBookG3 500 (the white iBook) and it's faster all-around than any of the clamshell iBooks. It's loaded with a 5400RPM drive and 640MB of RAM, so it's as fast as it can be.

I can say that with 10.4, it's OK for Word and e-mail, but surfing the web is excruciating. Pages with lots of stuff going on (like ESPN.com) take forever to load, not to mention that most web-video doesn't even play.

Honestly, if you can get a loaded iBook for $50, then it might be worth a flyer, but if you need an Airport card (which are quite expensive) and/or max RAM, then it could get kinda pricey.

Might be better off with a new iPod touch for surfing/email/etc. The only downside is the lack of Flash ... but it's coming.

ft

clyde2801
Nov 24, 2008, 07:03 AM
Have you tried posting a WTB ad on craigslist?

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks ftaok,
How can the flash issue be resolved? I don't know about installing the max RAM, but I will upgrade it for Christmas and my birthday. I evetually would get an airport card, though.;) Will I at least be able to post on this machine with out upgrades? Also, what are ram prices like? Define a adequatley spec'd iBook for my needs.

ftaok
Nov 24, 2008, 07:56 AM
How can the flash issue be resolved? Regarding Flash on the iPod touch, there have been rumors/discussions about Adobe developing a "mobile" version of Flash that will be more optimized for mobile devices. If/when this comes out, I would expect that the iPod touch/iPhone would get that functionality.

I don't know about installing the max RAM, but I will upgrade it for Christmas and my birthday. I eventually would get an airport card, though.;) Will I at least be able to post on this machine with out upgrades? Also, what are ram prices like? Define a adequately spec'd iBook for my needs.I don't really know about the clamshell iBooks, but the white iBooks are extremely easy for upgrading the RAM and Airport card. Just pop off the keyboard and turn a couple of screws.

White G3 iBooks max out at 640MB (512MB +128MB soldered). Not sure what RAM costs these days, but the older chips tend to go up in price since they're not as widely available. Check RAMSEEKER.com and put in the systems that you're interested in. I think the clamshell iBooks are limited to 320MB of RAM, and in my opinion, you can't really run 10.4 with 320MB. Better to go Panther with 320MB on a G3 as it should speed things up a bit.

For your needs, I would stay away from the G3, unless you're looking at the 900mhz one. At the very least, get a 600 mhz G3 iBook. The 600 has the 100mhz system bus and that was good for a nice speed bump. Ultimately, I would go with a G4 iBook for what you're doing. Just note that my idea of acceptable may be different than your idea.

The problem with the G3 iBooks is that the video card in them are very poor. Forget watching any sort of video, unless they are 320x240 MPEG-1. Forget anything using h264 ... even MPEG-4 at 640x480 has issues.

iPhoto runs dog slow on my G3, and I'm on iPhoto4.

Word works fine, as long as you turn off "Live Word Count". E-mail using yahoo mail is OK.

An iPod touch will run circles around a G3 iBook, in my opinion.

of course, going to a G4 might be outta your discretionary budget.

bozz2006
Nov 24, 2008, 08:46 AM
they're ALL out of his discretionary budget. they're asking $280 for a G3 ibook with OSX 10.2, 128 Mb of RAM... plus $30 shipping.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
ftaok, I have used 366 clamshells on the web and I was satisfied. I will not consider anything over 50 dollars. I e-mailed the recycler and he said he had nothing yesterday, and I will e-mail him back. I think I will buy more RAM so the web will work o.k.:apple: And for the record, I have used my friends Bondi iMac and found it bearable, so that tells you what I can tolerate.

Although Santa may be able to expand that budget..............possibly..............

bozz2006
Nov 24, 2008, 09:52 AM
a 256mb stick of RAM alone is going to cost you more than $50

GimmeSlack12
Nov 24, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks ftaok,
How can the flash issue be resolved? I don't know about installing the max RAM, but I will upgrade it for Christmas and my birthday. I evetually would get an airport card, though.;) Will I at least be able to post on this machine with out upgrades? Also, what are ram prices like? Define a adequatley spec'd iBook for my needs.

Flash won't be resolved until Apple and Adobe stop fighting.
Lord, you are kinda looking for an impossible deal of less than $50. Getting RAM, and AP card and HDD upgrades will really not be worth this machine. You sound excited to have one of these old Macs, but they are just not worth it. Your money is better spent elsewhere like saving for a Touch or buying a few tanks of gas.

And as for the design, these machines are heavy.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
GimmeSlack12, I have alerady found a place where I can buy one cheap.
The recycler guy will probably sell one to me for about $25 because he buys them for that much.bozz2006, I checked low end mac's ram prices and a 256
stick costs within $15 dollars. Are clamshells good for kids?

bozz2006
Nov 24, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm just looking at the prices on the website that you provided. the 256 mb stick is $42 and shipping is $10. Same thing for the computer. granted it's not a clamshell like you were after, but a G3 ibook goes for $280 plus $30 shipping. If he buys the computer for $25, why would he sell it for $25? He makes no money on that deal.

ftaok
Nov 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
GimmeSlack12, I have alerady found a place where I can buy one cheap.
The recycler guy will probably sell one to me for about $25 because he buys them for that much.bozz2006, I checked low end mac's ram prices and a 256
stick costs within $15 dollars. Are clamshells good for kids?

If you can get one for that price, then I'd say go for it. The clamshells are really great for kids because they're pretty rugged.

The only caveat is that it is an old laptop and who knows how well the video system will work. The clamshells weren't known for glitchy video problems like the iceBooks were, so in that aspect, you're better off with the clamshell.

One other issue I had forgotten about is that the clamshells are limited to 800x600 resolution. It could be an issue (or at least an annoyance) when surfing and word processing.

If you can do so, I would run OS 9 on the clamshell since it would be really fast. Many older games (mostly the kiddie stuff) are available for OS 9 at really cheap prices. At the very least, you could dual-boot it if you run OS X 10.3 (I think this was the last one that offered Classic compatibility).

Just make sure what you're getting for the $25. Airport cards are expensive, but you might be able to get away with a USB adapter.

ft

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 12:04 PM
ftaok,
You seem to get where i'm coming from.:) How much Ram would you reccomend for os9 or maybe 10.3 so that I could use my e-mail , surf and
maybe some word processing:confused:Reminder, my G5 is my workhorse, so this is my own ''Low End Mac''. Also, where else besides a recycler could I find a clamshell for under $60 within New Jersey

GimmeSlack12
Nov 24, 2008, 12:04 PM
Are clamshells good for kids?

Yeah I suppose that'd be a proper use.

ftaok
Nov 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
ftaok,
You seem to get where i'm coming from.:) How much Ram would you reccomend for os9 or maybe 10.3 so that I could use my e-mail , surf and
maybe some word processing:confused:Reminder, my G5 is my workhorse, so this is my own ''Low End Mac''. Also, where else besides a recycler could I find a clamshell for under $60 within New Jersey
I would always recommend maxing out the RAM. The clamshells use PC100 SODIMM 144-pin RAM. The biggest you can use is 256MB for a total of 320MB. If you can afford it, go with it. 1800-4-MEMORY has them for $14 and OWC has them for $18. I typically buy Crucial, but they're priced high right now.

RAMSEEKER List (http://www.ramseeker.com/memory/iBook/)

As for where to find them, I have no idea. I would try the usual suspects (eBay, craigslist, etc). Maybe a school might be getting rid of their old Macs and are willing to give them away.

As Han Solo says, "Good luck, you're gonna need it."

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
Actually, the max RAM is 576 megabytes, but when clamshells were
introduced, apple didn't want to admit that macs made in 1999 could hold that much memory, cause even the most expensive b&w g3 wasn't shipped with that much! Also, are hard drive upgrades hard to install, or will a 3gb Hd actually work for my needs?:):confused::apple: If a kid was doing the same things I would be doing with a clamshell would it work for them? It always seems like we use our computers so much more intensively then kids.:D:apple:

ftaok
Nov 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
Actually, the max RAM is 576 megabytes, but when clamshells were introduced, apple didn't want to admit that macs made in 1999 could hold that much memory, cause even the most expensive b&w g3 wasn't shipped with that much!I didn't know that. I figured there was a firmware limitation. I guess the prices on 512MB vary a little. $28 isn't too bad.

Also, are hard drive upgrades hard to install, or will a 3gb Hd actually work for my needs?:):confused::apple:

I don't know how difficult chaning the HDD on a clamshell is, but I tell you what ... chaning the HDD on an iceBook is a big PITA. Takes about two hours if you're handy ... and you run the risk of ***** it up like I did (I ripped the trackpad connector piece off of the motherboard). Try and read some tutorials on swapping HDDs on a clamshell to see if you're up to it.

If a kid was doing the same things I would be doing with a clamshell would it work for them? It always seems like we use our computers so much more intensively then kids.:D:apple:It depends on the kids. Are we talking toddlers or teenagers or somewhere in between? I'd say for toddlers to 2nd graders, the clamshell would be fine. Play some Dora or Little People and they're happy. Kids older than 7 might want to play some newer games and a clamshell would choke on those.

As for web surfing, forget about myspace on the clamshell. For one, the pages take forever to load on a newer computer, let alone an 8 year old one. Stick to stuff like PBS Kids and I suppose they'd be OK ... but then again, some of the Flash games might not run so well.

ft

sporadicMotion
Nov 24, 2008, 12:59 PM
this thread is making me want an old toilet seat ibook :p

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
Good sporadic motion! They rock and as a second or third(or 4th, 5th ,or6th)mac they are upgradeable! Plus, how often does a laptop come in colored translucent plastic with a carrying handle?;):D:apple:

sporadicMotion
Nov 24, 2008, 01:34 PM
Good sporadic motion! They rock and as a second or third(or 4th, 5th ,or6th)mac they are upgradeable! Plus, how often does a laptop come in colored translucent plastic with a carrying handle?;):D:apple:

It's more a question of... what would I do with it! :p

I have a MacBook already... silly desires

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 01:40 PM
Besides airport, how do I connect to the net. Someone told me about Ethernet, but what the heck is that?:confused:

ftaok
Nov 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
Besides airport, how do I connect to the net. Someone told me about Ethernet, but what the heck is that?:confused:

Ethernet is the big "phone" line that plugs in to the Mac from the router or cable modem. The plug looks just like a phone plug, only wider.

You can get to the internet using either Airport (wifi) or Ethernet. Ethernet is typically faster and more reliable, but obviously it's not portable.

ft

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 24, 2008, 03:53 PM
How much does an Airport card cost? The recycler pays $25 for them, think I should try to get one?;) Overall, should I buy this thing?

bozz2006
Nov 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
if you can find one for $50. But I just don't see that happening.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 28, 2008, 07:15 AM
It took me a while, but I realize that it will be impossible to find a good working clamshell with airport for 50 bucks.:( How much should I spend on eBay for one?

Must haves are:
Airport card installed or included but not installed
Some version of OSX (maybe 10.2 or higher)
Enough memory to surf email and mess around with other apps(128 megs or higher)
Working battery and a charger
Maybe an upgraded hard drive:)

doug in albq
Nov 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
Ebay is not what it used to be, but the prices are still the best. You just have to be ebay-savvy, not in a hurry, and complete in the scrutinizing of the potential seller. over 6 months ago I picked up a 12 inch ibook G3 for less than $200. 900mhz, 384 mg ram, 40 gig HDD, combo-drive (no airport card included) and the battery seems to not have been used much as it holds a charge for well over 2 hours running at maximum performance. Well-made product, a sturdy beater.

mkrishnan
Nov 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
Ebay is not what it used to be, but the prices are still the best. You just have to be ebay-savvy, not in a hurry, and complete in the scrutinizing of the potential seller.

Good advice. Also see if you can use BIN/Live Cashback where you can to reduce costs. (see this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600701)).

eBay in general is reliable, it's just that some things are almost inevitably fake. One should exercise extreme caution buying certain categories of things on eBay (designer clothes, shoes, or accessories, flash memory cards or memory modules, etc), but most other things are safe as long as you don't choose a disreputable seller. Stick with people who have a lot of feedback (and well over 99% positive, or else look at why the negatives were foisted), have been on eBay for a good amount of time, etc, and you'll be fine.

I've bought several things there recently, and I did have one bad egg seller. I paid her immediately for a BIN Logitech Mediaboard Pro, waited patiently for two weeks, and then e-mailed her politely asking for tracking / shipping information. Whereupon, she responded to me that she had trouble with another seller, claimed her account was frozen (although this certainly happened after I paid her), and that she had not shipped anything to me, would not ship anything to me, and could not specify a timeframe to give me a refund. So I had to use a dispute against her, and it took 10 additional days for dispute resolution, but I finally did get my refund in full.

LordOfTheMacs
Dec 6, 2008, 02:46 PM
Heyyyyyyyyyy, i'm back.:D This may be a christmas gift,sso my big question is this: Will I be able to use a clamshell with upgraded memory(128-576 megs of RAM) and probably a 10-30 gig hard drive be enough for e-mail, surfing and maybe syncing my ipod mini one year from now? HELLLLLPPP!:confused::D;):apple::apple::apple:

agurlnamedgoo
Dec 6, 2008, 02:51 PM
This is not advice I just want to say, to the ones who have posted on here that they're looking into getting a clamshell iBook... I envy you. I've lusted over those for a looonngggg time but been to sheepish to actually take the plunge!

agurlnamedgoo
Dec 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
Heyyyyyyyyyy, i'm back.:D This may be a christmas gift,sso my big question is this: Will I be able to use a clamshell with upgraded memory(128-576 megs of RAM) and probably a 10-30 gig hard drive be enough for e-mail, surfing and maybe syncing my ipod mini one year from now? HELLLLLPPP!:confused::D;):apple::apple::apple:

e-mail and surfing... probably...
syncing your iPod? I don't think iPods are compatible with the older OS anymore. :(