Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
That is very interesting. It looks like those who are really working with humongous files (900mb! Wow...) stand to benefit a lot from the (tragically windows only) 64 bit version, but the rest of us peons are just fine without.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
That is very interesting. It looks like those who are really working with humongous files (900mb! Wow...) stand to benefit a lot from the (tragically windows only) 64 bit version, but the rest of us peons are just fine without.

But then 16-biit printer drivers are a Mac Only feature, so it comes out even.

BTW those huge files are not that uncommon, try scanning medium or large format film at 16-bits per channel and look at the file size. That said most of the time Photoshop can run faster than I can think, even on large files on my 2.16Ghz iMac. Yes it lags but if I'm working for an hour all the lagging adds up to maybe 60 seconds an hour. Turns out I am the performance bottle neck most of the time.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
But then 16-biit printer drivers are a Mac Only feature, so it comes out even.

BTW those huge files are not that uncommon, try scanning medium or large format film at 16-bits per channel and look at the file size. That said most of the time Photoshop can run faster than I can think, even on large files on my 2.16Ghz iMac. Yes it lags but if I'm working for an hour all the lagging adds up to maybe 60 seconds an hour. Turns out I am the performance bottle neck most of the time.

I think the real advantage lies in multitasking. When you do more things at once, there's still the > 2GB of RAM Photoshop can handle that allows you to do more stuff at once without paging and such. He's just demonstrating one task by itself for comparison purposes. In a real world that's not normally the case. But if you were to for example, do 9 100MB photos at the same time...etc.

Like benchmarks often pit one application verses this and that with X RAM, etc. But if you have MS Office, and FinalCut, and 10 browsers open, and then 25 photos it changes it a bit.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
When I was doing graphic design for laser etched murals I would have killed to have CS4-64...

The largest one I did was 12'x12' at 600DPI and boy did PS grind on that one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.