Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
As you might have seen from a few other threads I've posted on this forum, I'm in the process of seting up a webzine. So far, I've been investigating two mains programs for creating and publishing the site: RapidWeaver and Wordpress.

Right now I'm playing around with Wordpress, and I've been messing around with various free magazine-style theme. I realise it's more likely premium themes will cater better to my needs, but I just want to get to grips with the basics before I go spending money.

Anyway, I suppose I'm wondering if Wordpress is the right tool for what I'm doing. This is how I'd like the site to be structured:

- We're thinking of dividing the site into five main sections: Features (longer in-depth articles on current affairs), blogs, art & photography, and a literary section for short stories and poetry. I'd like each of these to have its own block or area on the homepage showing the latest content.

Also, I'd ideally like each of these sections to correspond to a menu heading, so that as well as having a block on the homepage that shows the very latest content in a section, you can click on to the 'Blogs' or 'Features' page in the menu and go to a new page showing all the content in that section. It'd also be great if, as well as organising content based on the different sections (Features, blogs...) outlined above, we could also organise it by more detailed themes (such as the traditional catergories in a blog...politics, music, sport, theatre etc..) so readers can find older content related to specific themes easily.

I'd like to be able to rotate what the most prominent article on the homepage is, whether it's a feature article or a blog post or whatever. And we have a graphic designer working on a logo and heading that we'd like to use.

Now here's the kicker: I don't any CSS or any other type of coding, and neither does anyone else involved. And considering the time we need to put into other work to get this off the ground by January, we don't really have time to learn.

So I suppose I'm looking for a Wordpress theme with the flexibility to do all this, but in quite a straightforward and simple way. I'm willing to pay for one of course, but I just want to make sure I'm barking up the right tree by experimenting with Wordpress. Am I?

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions for particular themes, that would be wonderful. In terms of design, I'm looking for something quite simple - black text, white background, minimalist but stylish - that will allow me to upload my own header image.

Thanks for reading,

SG

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I was going to say both products would do what you want until I saw this:

I'd like to be able to rotate what the most prominent article on the homepage is, whether it's a feature article or a blog post or whatever. And we have a graphic designer working on a logo and heading that we'd like to use. Now here's the kicker: I don't any CSS or any other type of coding...

If by "rotate" you mean automated, obviously you'd need a script to query most prominent articles (selected by you as such via a custom database field that might tie into an admin section for all upload articles, or as simple as highest rated articles, etc.) and that means go with Rapidweaver which allows server side coding to extend the normal CMS. But then you said you don't how to code, hence you're in a quandry hiring a developer due to time restraints. You can throw money at it, but...

If you mean manual rotation, i.e. adjusting content manually via the CMS by editing that content area on the homepage periodically, then either of the two platforms would be fine and I'd probably choose WordPress simply because it's easier, less bells and whistles for features you'd never used in Rapdiweaver since you're not developing code and only working with themes. Yes, I'd spent the money if you find a professional theme in WP, that seems the likely direction for you at the slight cost of customization, but a huge gain in saving payroll and time.

My .02 - not the final say so, by any means.

-jim

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks Jim - reading my post again, rotation was probably a confusing word to use. All I meant that I'd like to be able to manually select the main article on the homepage, regardless of whether it's a feature article, blog post etc..

Fairly simple I would imagine and I'm not sure why I mentioned it.

One thing I would like to have the option of doing - but which isn't essential - is to distinguish between different blogs. So if we have four bloggers, there would be way of distinguishing between them visually - perhaps through a slight change in graphics somewhere, with each given a separate title.

The most important thing really though is the organisation of content into different sections - say 'Features', 'Blogs' and 'Culture - with each of these having an individual panel on the homepage, and as separate page, accessed through the main menu, listing the latest content in that section.

I don't want the site to look too busy (like say nytimes.com or guardian.co.uk), because we won't have the quantity of content to justify that. But somewhere between that and a traditional blog sounds about right.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
WP might be the way to go based on our discussion so far. Nice selection of plugins which are simple to install, and plenty of simply designed themes you can choose from. Easier for novices, less bells and whistles than complex CMS and no need for Rapidweaver (or similar) since you're not developing.

Sounds like a nice site concept, btw. Might want to wait for a few more replies from others, this is purely my .02

-jim

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks very much for taking the time to read and respond. We're based in Dublin, Ireland and we want to do something a bit similar to this site actually:

http://voiceofsandiego.org/

...which as far as I understand, is a site set up by a group young journalists, totally outside the mainstream media, that has managed to break quite a few big stories, or so I've read. It's the kind of thing that makes me really excited about the future of the media. All of us involved have experience in journalism but none in building websites, and we want to do something similar to Voice of San Diego, but with emphasis on culture, art, design and humour too.

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
All of the things you want can be accomplished easily with Wordpress using custom fields and categories (I just made a site that had all the features you listed running Wordpress). Unfortunately you'll likely have to customize your template, which involves coding. It'll be difficult finding something to exactly suit your needs.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for that ezkimo. I guess it may turn out to be the case the coding isn't avoidable. It's sort of hard to know how exactly to get the right template, seeing as I can't play around with it before buying.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks - if anyone has any themes or plug-ins that they'd like to suggest, please do. We need all the help we can get, as we really want to launch this thing by the end of January at the latest.

Is the general consensus that we'll need to do a bit of coding then? If that's the case I should probably try and track down a friend who can do a bit.

r4dical

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
The Revolution theme went open source not too long ago, and there are two magazine-style Revolution themes. Any Revolution theme can pass off as a magazine-style theme, really. ;)

As for the HTML/CSS, if you're ever stuck, the WordPress Codex is a lifesaver. There are also the WordPress Forums if a question or problem you have isn't answered in the Codex.

Good Luck with your project, it sounds neat~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.