Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
So my iPhone battery was at about 70% so I decided to plug it into my car charger (Griffin PowerJolt SE) and the light stayed on orange for about 1 hour.

(For those that don't know the charger has 2 colors... Orange=Charging and Green=100% Charged)

Even though the charger showed green and the iPhone showed the plug icon, the battery icon did not look completely full (It was missing a sliver).

So after the charger color went to green, I unplugged my iPhone and then just for kicks, I plugged it back in and it went back to orange again and the lightening bolt icon displayed on my iPhone again. What? I thought it was fully charged?

So I waited and waited a few more minutes thinking it was going to turn green again and it didn't... so I restarted my iPhone (while keeping it plugged in). Once it was restarted, the status was still orange on the charger and the iPhone still showed the lightening bolt until a few minutes later the charger turned green for a second and then turned back to orange, but despite the charger switching back to orange, the iPhone itself had the plug icon... so I'm assuming the iPhone was charged again. I kept it plugged in for a while and it didn't switch back to green, but the battery icon was full and the plug icon was showing.

I hope you're all still awake. Do you think this is an iPhone problem or a Griffin PowerJolt SE problem. Just as a note, when I plugged the same charger into my iPod, it instantly went green and stayed that way.

mtehonica

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
So my iPhone battery was at about 70% so I decided to plug it into my car charger (Griffin PowerJolt SE) and the light stayed on orange for about 1 hour.

(For those that don't know the charger has 2 colors... Orange=Charging and Green=100% Charged)

Even though the charger showed green and the iPhone showed the plug icon, the battery icon did not look completely full (It was missing a sliver).

So after the charger color went to green, I unplugged my iPhone and then just for kicks, I plugged it back in and it went back to orange again and the lightening bolt icon displayed on my iPhone again. What? I thought it was fully charged?

So I waited and waited a few more minutes thinking it was going to turn green again and it didn't... so I restarted my iPhone (while keeping it plugged in). Once it was restarted, the status was still orange on the charger and the iPhone still showed the lightening bolt until a few minutes later the charger turned green for a second and then turned back to orange, but despite the charger switching back to orange, the iPhone itself had the plug icon... so I'm assuming the iPhone was charged again. I kept it plugged in for a while and it didn't switch back to green, but the battery icon was full and the plug icon was showing.

I hope you're all still awake. Do you think this is an iPhone problem or a Griffin PowerJolt SE problem. Just as a note, when I plugged the same charger into my iPod, it instantly went green and stayed that way.

Just had my phone replaced for the same exact problem. Turned out to be faulty dock connector ok the phone. At least that's what the "genious" said lol

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW

I've been using the same car charger on my iPhone 3G too and I haven't encountered that problem you had. Must be the iPhone then?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Why is this in the App Store forum? It should be in the Troubleshooting and Help Forum.

Sorry. I thought I was posting to the iPhone section and didn't realize that I posted in the AppStore forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.