Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Anyways, so I just got a new DSLR. I would have asked this question to the store guy, but they tried to get me to buy those big and boxy things (yuck) which I already own one and I think I almost made myself a target on my last trip.

I'll be traveling, so I need a good camera bag that doesn't really draw to the fact that's a camera..

Any suggestions?

sparsk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it might be a start. Of course, you should consider if you'll need a weatherproof bag. It's certainly a neat DIY weekend project. You could also use any bag you have around the house.

Following this idea, you could find a bag that fits the one you already have. That way your gear is protected and it won't make you a screaming target.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/products.html

crumpler bags. originally from Australia. best laptop/camera bags I have ever used.

click on the photo icon at the bottom of screen to see the photography bags.

i have the "4 million dollar home" and have a canon eos 5d and extra lens/batteries all fit quite comfortably. if you need more room look at the "7 million dollar home" or the "brazillion dollar home" (strange names i know!)

i have the "cashmere blazer" as a laptop bag, and it's perfect for 13/15 inch laptops, plus a few notepads, etc.
perfect manbag.

tamasvarga67

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
Check out the Crumpler "Million Dollar Home" bags they don't look like camera bags and available in seven sizes.
I have several camera bags and backpacks - I was trying to find the best solution - and I am mostly using the Crumpler 7MDH.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
My wife & I are doing his & hers Crumpler bags as part of our Christmas presents for each other, I am getting the Whickey & Cox laptop/camera bag and her the Headaitch tote.

The laptop/camera bag has the zippers on the rear of the bag so next to your back, and it looks more like a backpack than a straight out camera bag. Also with the tan one you get away from the stock black of so many camera bags.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Anyways, so I just got a new DSLR. I would have asked this question to the store guy, but they tried to get me to buy those big and boxy things (yuck) which I already own one and I think I almost made myself a target on my last trip.

I'll be traveling, so I need a good camera bag that doesn't really draw to the fact that's a camera..

Any suggestions?

Children's insulated lunch bags work well. The foam insulation is the same as the padding used in real camera bags, they have zippers and straps like camera bags but come in bright colors with cartoon characters printed on them. If a soft sided Spiderman lunch box is to small (it will hold only one SLR ans a small llens) then go for the soft sided picnic cooler, those come in quite large sizes and are buld very much like camera bags too. Prices range from $8 up.

Those bags that parents use to haul the baby's diapers and milk bottles work well too.

In the past I used a .50 Cal. ammo box. They are cheap, water proof and very strong. Now I've converted over to Pelican cases. I ship and store gear in the case then I take it out when I'm using it can use a plain generic backpack

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Anyway, I came back from the shop. Got myself a Whickey and Cox backup. I put all my stuff in it including my laptop and it feels really good! Thanks for the brand recommendation.

As with the 7 Million Dollar Home, I didn't release it didn't fit my computer, so I didn't get it. The Bajiilion Dollar Home was just too big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.