Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
hi, i noticed it yesterday.
When i double click in illustrator, say if i wanna select a word, or click and drag to select some text. I cant do it.

Im using a logitech mouse.

THe same witht the trackpad on macbook.

Although double click works say for other things eg. minimising windows, opening folder etc, out side illustrator.

Ive checked system preferences, looked at illustrator pref.
Im baffled. I though it might be battery in wirless mouse, but the track pad is also behaving like that.

ANy ideas anyone?

So basically im unable to select ANY text, even the shortcuts dont work to select text.

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Even command A does not select all the text (with the text tool and with the insertion point in the text)

in illustrator

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
quit illustrator

restart and hold down Shift + Command + Option + Control while opening the program

that doesnt even allow it to open.

I get options for open, remove from dock, open at login.
I chose open, while pressing those keys.

And still same prob.

Restart the computer?

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
yes or just go to the preferences file itself and delete it:

/user/library/preferences/adobe illustrator CS3 settings/adobe illustrator prefs

what does this exactly do? deleting the pref file?

Its not there....heres what im seeing:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 270

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
also noticed double click is not working on other OSX funtions here and there. Like minimising windows on some apps.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
sounds like your machine is whacked. or your mouse. i would restart. unplug your mouse and make sure it is working OK. then i would look for that preferences file and delete it if it is there before starting illustrator again.

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
sounds like your machine is whacked. or your mouse. i would restart. unplug your mouse and make sure it is working OK. then i would look for that preferences file and delete it if it is there before starting illustrator again.

aaaah man.

can you see the pref file in my above screen shot pic?

Ok ill try restarting the mac.
Faulty mouse or not...the trackpad should be working.

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
ive restarted mac.

But....ive noticed....when i double click a word, although nothing appears to be happening. When i press delete, the word is deleted. Same with command A....and when i click and drag, and press delete. It actually is selecting.

But why isnt it showing me the selection?
Ive checked pref. and cant find the option to show the highlighting.

(But that dont explain why some apps are not responding to double click)

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
command H = hide edges.

problem solved.
I want to thank all those who tried to help.
Really.

i was pressing command H to hide illustrator but it never works, so i guess i knocked out that setting.

katrina99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
should be this (see attached)

but if you did delete it sucessfully before it will not be there until you start and then close illustrator again.

ahhh...ok.
So that modifier keys holding and opening an app, is like a general OSX function, that deletes pref file for that app? Ive never had to do that.
But ive heard people doing it when encountering bugs and stuff. I need to learn about that.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.