PDA

View Full Version : iPod Minis - Feb 20th

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2004, 06:55 AM
Despite limited supply arriving at Apple Stores for the iPod mini as early as Feb 16th... the new Minis will reportedly not go on sale until February 20th at 6pm.

Some Apple Stores are taking reservations for early orders at this time.

Apple may be hosting some sort of event/launch party at that time, but details are yet unavailable.

Feb 15, 2004, 07:04 AM
Well still a few more months until they come over here (England)...

Perceptes
Feb 15, 2004, 07:10 AM
Why in the world would someone actually buy an iPod Mini?

kirk26
Feb 15, 2004, 07:15 AM
Well, it does look better than the regular iPod IMHO and I don't need the extra space. I was ready to buy this tomorrow, this sucks. What's the source for the date change? Let the flames begin!

jemeinc
Feb 15, 2004, 07:18 AM
It's hard for me to tell without seeing them in person first, but unless they're alot smaller than the reg. iPod they don't appear to be a good value... Of course that all depends on your needs, but at $249 I don't think I'd consider one...

macmax
Feb 15, 2004, 07:26 AM
i am really an Apple dude, but for that price u can get this

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_ZenXtra/

40 g and the same price.

As much as i love Apple i think i would buy me a G5 first, that seems to be a good value, but then again, i would buy the iPod for 50 dollars more.

If the mini was around 199, then i would consider it.

arn
Feb 15, 2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by macmax

40 g and the same price.

but NOT the same physical size.

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/visitaconnoi/mwsf2004/ipodminie/preview/ipodmini02.jpg

by the same argument, why would you get a 17" PowerBook for $2999 when you can get a PowerMac G5 for the same price?

for that matter... why did anyone buy the original iPod when you could get the Archos player (bigger storage, bigger physically) for the same price?

arn

KC9AIC
Feb 15, 2004, 07:43 AM
Aaaaugh! I'm going to the Ginza store tomorrow (first time to an Apple store in my life), and I was hoping to see them! Well, they may still have demo models, but it's not the same as knowing that, if I had the impulse, I could buy one. I probably won't get down to the Apple store again anytime soon (perhaps never)! It costs quite a bit for transportation. By the time I see an iPod mini, PowerBook G5s will probably be out! This is aggravating!

timwindsor
Feb 15, 2004, 07:49 AM
I was the source for this item (well, at least one of them). I was in the Towson Maryland Apple Store on Saturday and asked one of the floor people when the iPod minis would be in stock. She said "we'll have them here, available for purchase, at 6 p.m. on Friday February 20th."

She also offered to put my name on a list for a color preference with no obligation (i.e. no $ deposit). I was in a hurry, so I didn't ask her any followup questions, such as whether there would be an event at 6 p.m., how the "voting" on the colors was going, etc. Anyone who's going to be in an Apple Store soon may want to ask.

As for why I would consider the mini over an admittedly larger-capacity 3rd Gen whitePod:

1. Ergonomics. In our family, we have two of the original iPods, both with the buttons arrayed around the scrollwheel. I may just be a curmudgeon, but I don't like the button placement at all on the 3Gs. If the smaller scrollwheel with the integrated buttons feels right when I try one out, that may be what pushes me over the edge.

2. Size. These are not enormously smaller in actual size, but they "feel" a lot smaller. For the total geek experience, CDW has a printable .pdf that your can cut out and assemble to get an approximation of the mini's size.

http://www.cdw.com/webcontent/hubs/MW/family/ipod.asp

3. Storage is really irrelevant. With smart playlists and some careful selection for a 2 gig permanent collection, I can have an effectively unlimited number of songs on any iPod. I plan to create a 500-meg playlist of recently-added tunes and a 1.5 gig playlist of songs I haven't played in the past month. With a 4,000 song iTunes library, that should keep me in "new" music for a good long time.

My only concern with this approach would be wear and tear on the drive as I sync, as I imagine this will lead to a fair amount of swapping songs in and out of the iPod. Should this be a worry?

Styling also goes into it a bit, but as my iPod spends most of its time in a pocket or my car, that doesn't matter too much. Although it would be nice if the new brushed aluminum finish is scratch and fingerprint resistant.

My plans? Go to the in-store, try out the mini and decide then and there which way to go.

sosumi99
Feb 15, 2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Perceptes

Because I like the pink color. Because it will be a cool fashion item. Because it's going to fit in my purse (and my smaller hand) better than an iPod. I couldn't care less about the smaller capacity.

Why is the fact that the minis are fashionable and girly (unlike lots of other crappy engineer's gadgets) and therefore hits an underserved market hard to understand?

mmalet
Feb 15, 2004, 07:57 AM
I really don't understand those who keep asking "why would anyone buy an iPod mini." I ordered one when they were first introduced, so I guess I get it.

First off, most people thought that the original iPod was crazy - too expensive was the main complaint. So keep that in mind before you act too indignantly towards the mini.

I've had a 5gb iPod since they were first introduced. 5gb is, really, plenty of music for me. I've never scrolled through my iPod and thought, "you know, I just don't have anything worth listening to between these 1000 songs." If you're someone who must carry around every song you own, then great, the big iPod is for you. If you're someone like me, for whom ~83 hours of continuous music is plenty, then the mini is the better choice. It is cheaper, smaller, lighter, (seems) more durable, etc.

People buy 2 seater cars, 2 megapixel digital cameras that fit in a shirtpocket, etc. and you don't call them crazy. My point is simply that, for those of you who don't get it, try to understand that there are people out there who don't value the same things that you value in a portable mp3 player.

I'm not saying that the mini will be a hit, and I'm not saying that it isn't a bit too expensive. I'm just saying that the iPod mini is not a product that completely defies logic.

agentmouthwash
Feb 15, 2004, 08:01 AM
I hate when Apple announced a product, but then
doesn't release it until 2 months later.

Sir_Giggles
Feb 15, 2004, 08:05 AM
I'm gonna get an iPod mini because

a) I don't listen to more than 200 songs in any given month,

b) I don't need to have my entire music collection with me... that's what my home computer is for,

c) I want something really small and lightweight so I can take it to the gym without my regular 20GB iPod pulling down my shorts when I lift weights or when I jog,

d) I want an iPod that is scratch resistant,

e) I want one that will match my 17" PowerBook.

I swear, the people who say "why get an iPod mini when for $50 more I can get a regular iPod" just don't ****ing get it.

uv23
Feb 15, 2004, 08:16 AM
The iPod mini would have been the perfect thing for me to take to the gym, were it cost effective. I haev a powerbook so I don't need a mini storage device to hold all of my songs - thats what the powerbook is for. I just need something small and convenient. For that matter, I don't even need 4 gigs. If the dock and armband were included for $249, I'd probably stop my bitching and go get one. But when I'm looking at well over $300 just to get peripherals that are necessary in my view, and that should be included by default, no thanks.

djdarlek
Feb 15, 2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by agentmouthwash

Yep! as a UK reader, i'm lucky enough to have an american wife who is currently on holiday. She's looking forward to ditching her tank of a CD player in favour of a pink mini ipod. She's also picking me and a friend up a couple for the bargain price of £125! lol, have you seen the currency conversion atm? we could be picking up maxed out G5s for a grand in the next couple of months :D

http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=1&s=GBP&t=USD&c=0

my point is, I kinda presumed that the mini iPods would have been in the stalls a month ago!

carta
Feb 15, 2004, 08:29 AM
Would the iPod Mini use the same software as the orig. iPod? I'm looking to replace my Palm with the contacts and to-do lists of the iPod (as well as listening to tunes while I walk, bike, etc.).

Also, the orig. iPod can sync with digital pictures via the Belkin device. Any likelihood that the Mini may get a similar device and capability?

wordmunger
Feb 15, 2004, 08:46 AM
Well, actually a month and a half, but the point is well taken. But unfortunately, that's the way of the world. Movie previews at Christmas routinely hype film releases for the following May or June.

kirk26
Feb 15, 2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by timwindsor
I was the source for this item (well, at least one of them). I was in the Towson Maryland Apple Store on Saturday and asked one of the floor people when the iPod minis would be in stock. She said "we'll have them here, available for purchase, at 6 p.m. on Friday February 20th."

She also offered to put my name on a list for a color preference with no obligation (i.e. no $ deposit). I was in a hurry, so I didn't ask her any followup questions, such as whether there would be an event at 6 p.m., how the "voting" on the colors was going, etc. Anyone who's going to be in an Apple Store soon may want to ask.

As for why I would consider the mini over an admittedly larger-capacity 3rd Gen whitePod:

1. Ergonomics. In our family, we have two of the original iPods, both with the buttons arrayed around the scrollwheel. I may just be a curmudgeon, but I don't like the button placement at all on the 3Gs. If the smaller scrollwheel with the integrated buttons feels right when I try one out, that may be what pushes me over the edge.

2. Size. These are not enormously smaller in actual size, but they "feel" a lot smaller. For the total geek experience, CDW has a printable .pdf that your can cut out and assemble to get an approximation of the mini's size.

http://www.cdw.com/webcontent/hubs/MW/family/ipod.asp

3. Storage is really irrelevant. With smart playlists and some careful selection for a 2 gig permanent collection, I can have an effectively unlimited number of songs on any iPod. I plan to create a 500-meg playlist of recently-added tunes and a 1.5 gig playlist of songs I haven't played in the past month. With a 4,000 song iTunes library, that should keep me in "new" music for a good long time.

My only concern with this approach would be wear and tear on the drive as I sync, as I imagine this will lead to a fair amount of swapping songs in and out of the iPod. Should this be a worry?

Styling also goes into it a bit, but as my iPod spends most of its time in a pocket or my car, that doesn't matter too much. Although it would be nice if the new brushed aluminum finish is scratch and fingerprint resistant.

My plans? Go to the in-store, try out the mini and decide then and there which way to go.

No problem, thanks for the info. I guess I'll go to Claredon store and preorder mine. The silver iPod mini will look so sexy next to my powerbook!:)

HiRez
Feb 15, 2004, 08:55 AM
Why in the world would someone actually buy an iPod Mini? I think the mini is something you need to actually hold in your hand to understand. I was underwhelmed when I saw them announced at MacWorld but after I actually got my hands on one, I changed my mind; they are very cool. I never considered the (regular) iPods to be "bulky" until I held the mini and saw them next to each other. The mini is the perfect workout device. You want something small and light and you don't need your entire 40 MB collection on it to get a good mix. 4 MB is adequate for that and the iTunes software gives it an edge over the cheap flash players. I'm still going to wait for them to drop to $200 before I buy one though.

johnnyjibbs
Feb 15, 2004, 09:00 AM
Arn's picture comparison with a mobile phone has made me realise they are quite small and cute. When Steven Jobs showed them, they didn't look much smaller than the regular iPod (which is hardly huge itself). I guess it seemed like almost the same price for something that held a lot less and didn't look much smaller. Now, I can see it is that much smaller. And, as someone else said, it could be partly targeted at getting more girls into the gadget market.

If it wasn't for the fact that 1) they're not out 'til April here, 2) I have no money, and 3) my brother would kill me (for just having got his own regular 20 GB iPod), I would snap one of these up in an instant :)

maxtrax
Feb 15, 2004, 09:00 AM

This is common, not just from Apple. And... it makes perfect sense. Apple and every other company who is in business to make money, wants you to know that they have a new product coming. Do you realize how many people who are waiting to buy a Mini would have bought something else instead had that not known ahead of time that the Mini's were coming?

It really bugs me when people post things, that do not take into consideration anything other than their own personal needs. I see that a lot on this board, and it baffles me... Some of you who obviously love Apple, sure love to hate them as well, when most of the things you compain about are things that are also commonplace from every other company out there! Jeez...

gotohamish
Feb 15, 2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Despite limited supply arriving at Apple Stores for the iPod mini as early as Feb 16th... the new Minis will reportedly not go on sale until February 20th at 6pm.

Some Apple Stores are taking reservations for early orders at this time.

Apple may be hosting some sort of event/launch party at that time, but details are yet unavailable.

It sucks to me that here is Apple releasing this new product - and I'm not the least bit excited.

We need cooler Macs. More options. More oomph. I've had an iPod since day 1 and I still LOVE it, but I don't feel I need to upgrade, and come the day when the battery is fried and it lives off the mains, so be it, it will still be cool.

I used want a new Powerbook G5, sorry for the rant.

Photorun
Feb 15, 2004, 09:16 AM
I'd buy an iPod mini.... for like $50 or $100 less. $250 (and tack on accessories)... feh, overpriced.

Jerry Spoon
Feb 15, 2004, 09:18 AM
I'm glad to hear from people who support the mini for their own reasons. Seems all I ever hear are people bashing it, mainly because of the price.
I've ordered a mini, mainly because of the physical size of the device and the size of my music collection. I'm looking forward to getting mine and know that there's a possibility of moving up to a larger iPod a year or two in the future. That doesn't bother me though because I've got friends who have purchased iPods since they've been out and upgraded a year or so after they got theym for more space.

As far as the mini's having the same software, I think most of it is the same. I have heard though that the mini will not support voice recording so the belkin and upcoming griffin products that work with that will presumably not be usable. Read that off Griffin's web site. Anyone have any other info?

Jeromino
Feb 15, 2004, 09:30 AM
Does holding these till Thursday open up the overflow of speculation that we might finally see a Tuesday release pertinent to the prosumers?

Malic
Feb 15, 2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by kirk26
Well, it does look better than the regular iPod IMHO and I don't need the extra space. I was ready to buy this tomorrow, this sucks. What's the source for the date change? Let the flames begin!

Don't need the extra space... That's what you say now...

Photorun
Feb 15, 2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Malic

Ditto this. I bought a 1st Gen 10 GB iPod, within the first two weeks I ran out of room. I'm betting there's many users, including myself, that could fill a 60GB iPod.

Feb 15, 2004, 09:50 AM
I'm betting there's many users, including myself, that could fill a 60GB iPod. [/B]

Yep.

RBMaraman
Feb 15, 2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by carta
Also, the orig. iPod can sync with digital pictures via the Belkin device. Any likelihood that the Mini may get a similar device and capability?

Apple already posted an FAQ page that says the iPod Mini does NOT support voice recording or picture storgae, and the iPod Mini will never feature the ability for either of those options.

They have used software on the iPod Mini that is different from the regular iPod. Apple did not add these features to the mini in order to distinguish it from the regular iPod.

zellin
Feb 15, 2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Photorun
Ditto this. I bought a 1st Gen 10 GB iPod, within the first two weeks I ran out of room. I'm betting there's many users, including myself, that could fill a 60GB iPod.
I'm betting that there are just as many users, including myself, that can't even fill a 3 GB drive with their music.
I really like the digital camera comparison, it makes sense.

zim
Feb 15, 2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
Apple already posted an FAQ page that says the iPod Mini does NOT support voice recording or picture storgae, and the iPod Mini will never feature the ability for either of those options.

They have used software on the iPod Mini that is different from the regular iPod. Apple did not add these features to the mini in order to distinguish it from the regular iPod.

Do you think that it is different software or just crippled? I would think that apple would only want to worry about one version of the iPod os and then just cripple it when applied to the mini.

spaceballl
Feb 15, 2004, 10:07 AM
My girlfriend is from Berkeley, and she was up at one of the Apple Stores up there. She loves my iPod, but when she saw the pink iPod mini at the store this past weekend, she fell in love with it and it's all she talks about now. I'm sure these won't be the hotcakes that iPods are, but i'm sure they'll sell decently well.
-Kevin

NusuniAdmin
Feb 15, 2004, 10:09 AM
Hmm maybe there will be a party at the apple stores during release, and they will release the pmac g5's rev 2's as well, that would be a cool suprise.

mpopkin
Feb 15, 2004, 10:10 AM
Maxtrax, you obviously do not remember the Powemac G4 when it was launched, it was announced in July of 1999 and scheduled to ship i august/september, but it never launched until January of the following year. Apple does not release products because it can, which is true, it does hold back products longer than pc manufacturers because it is greedy. Camera companies traditionally announce products in advance, but in the music industry apple is the lone dove, the one company that does announce early and hold until the opportune moment while announcing that they are available now in the US(when in fact they were not) now i dont have any problems waiting, but it is important for you to realize that Apple is false advertising and could be liable for it. If it was to say product was shipping Feb 20th and is available online preorder now then there would be no problem, but some one should sue apple for false advertising, just to stop this available now practice which is a bunch of b......t.

Originally posted by maxtrax
This is common, not just from Apple. And... it makes perfect sense. Apple and every other company who is in business to make money, wants you to know that they have a new product coming. Do you realize how many people who are waiting to buy a Mini would have bought something else instead had that not known ahead of time that the Mini's were coming?

It really bugs me when people post things, that do not take into consideration anything other than their own personal needs. I see that a lot on this board, and it baffles me... Some of you who obviously love Apple, sure love to hate them as well, when most of the things you compain about are things that are also commonplace from every other company out there! Jeez...

esc
Feb 15, 2004, 10:36 AM
I was able to try out one of the demo models -- the scrollwheel is amazingly better than the current 3G iPods. I like it as much as the wheel on my old 1G iPod.

My wife had to have one. Almost every negative comment I've seen on the mini is from a guy. I think Apple will sell more than a few.

nickmcghie
Feb 15, 2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by mmalet
I really don't understand those who keep asking "why would anyone buy an iPod mini." I ordered one when they were first introduced, so I guess I get it.

First off, most people thought that the original iPod was crazy - too expensive was the main complaint. So keep that in mind before you act too indignantly towards the mini.

I've had a 5gb iPod since they were first introduced. 5gb is, really, plenty of music for me. I've never scrolled through my iPod and thought, "you know, I just don't have anything worth listening to between these 1000 songs." If you're someone who must carry around every song you own, then great, the big iPod is for you. If you're someone like me, for whom ~83 hours of continuous music is plenty, then the mini is the better choice. It is cheaper, smaller, lighter, (seems) more durable, etc.

People buy 2 seater cars, 2 megapixel digital cameras that fit in a shirtpocket, etc. and you don't call them crazy. My point is simply that, for those of you who don't get it, try to understand that there are people out there who don't value the same things that you value in a portable mp3 player.

I'm not saying that the mini will be a hit, and I'm not saying that it isn't a bit too expensive. I'm just saying that the iPod mini is not a product that completely defies logic.
thank you! well said. some of these "geeks" just don't get it :p

size and capacity aren't everything. in fact, to many people, they are things that hardly even matter. in the real world among "normal" people, style and fashion are very important. why would people buy ipod minis? for the same reason they would buy clothes from prada and armani, bags from louis vutton, and cars from aston martin

yangchi
Feb 15, 2004, 11:30 AM
look at the sales figure on apple.com. yes. Ipod mini is #1 but ipod is nowhere near sight.. not even top 20!

Apple is taking away its own customer!!

Sir_Giggles
Feb 15, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by yangchi
look at the sales figure on apple.com. yes. Ipod mini is #1 but ipod is nowhere near sight.. not even top 20!

Apple is taking away its own customer!!

They lump the sales of both iPod and iPod Mini together.

HiRez
Feb 15, 2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mpopkin
it is important for you to realize that Apple is false advertising and could be liable for it. If it was to say product was shipping Feb 20th and is available online preorder now then there would be no problem, but some one should sue apple for false advertising, just to stop this available now practice which is a bunch of b......t. My rule is to just never ever preorder anything (especially from Apple). When I find the Apple Store or MacConnection or whoever can tell me they have my product in stock and will ship it the next day, that's when I order. Why torture yourself with the whole preorder fiasco? There is no benefit to it, you only drive yourself nuts. Just wait until units are actually shipping, then you will not feel disappointed or lied to or ripped off.

SillyMe
Feb 15, 2004, 12:02 PM
After watching the keynote I was a bit under whelmed by the announcements.

I got a chance to catch the last day of Macworld in San Francisco. When I picked up the MINI... WOW!

Steve was right, pictures do NOT do it justice.

Aesthetically it is perfect. About the size of a cool cellular phone, but much smoother. The rounded edges with the hard aluminum is a nice feel. No fingerprints to worry about. Scratches wont be as big a problem either. It's just the right size. It wasn't heavy either.

The wheel and integrated PUSH BUTTONS are wonderful. The circumference of the wheel seems smaller than the 3G iPod, so it's actually easier to spin your thumb around it. It may be because the frame is smaller and your hand doesn't have to stretch as much. I HATE the static buttons on my current iPod, but LOVE the push buttons on my 5GB original. The MINI combines the best of both generations. The static wheel works great, and the push buttons underneath allow you to know 100% when a function is invoked. In short, it makes navigating the MINI a snap. The lock button won't be needed so much anymore due to the push buttons.

The screen is smaller, brighter, and sharper (and has the bluish hue in the background). My 3G iPod's screen was quite a disappointment over the original 5GB's screen. The MINI's screen looks wonderful, and despite being visibly smaller over the previous generation, is amazingly clear.

The volume output SEEMED better than my current iPod. Apple was using very nice headphones at the show, so maybe that was the reason. The MINI was plenty loud and quality was exceptional. No static pops between songs or hard drive induced interference noticed (that was such a pain on early versions of the 3G iPod).

The MINI has two problems: price and capacity. Both of which will be solved over time. Price will go down and probably settle between $150 and $179. Capacity will increase over the next three years, to probably 30GB.

Battery life: who knows at this point. It can't get much worse than the larger 3G iPod. For me, that's about 2.5-5 hours.

Colors: All look cool. I'll skip pink because I'm a guy. Blue and green are nice.

I went from 'eh' to 'wow' in about one minute. There's definitely a MINI in my future. I really hope most folks will withhold judgment of the MINI until they get a chance to have some hands-on time. It is a wonderful music player in every way. I can understand the initial price as supply will most certainly be strained with the ramp up. But if they can drop it to $199 by April or May, I will be very happy.

Nice job, Apple!

yangchi
Feb 15, 2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Giggles
They lump the sales of both iPod and iPod Mini together.

Did they? the link says ipod mini.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70702/wo/c7YteCze710F3vbo0dL2X77sRVw/0.0.7.1.0.5.59.0.2.1.3.1.1.0
:confused:

Potus
Feb 15, 2004, 12:05 PM
For many of us, size and weight are significant factors. That is why I'm buying a 12" powerbook and getting a mini (in addition to the 20 gig I have now). There must be some minis out there as I saw a guy during the commute pull one out of his suit pocket...I was totally envious. Having tried the mini I can attest that the controls are extreeeeemly ergonomic and efficient.

NusuniAdmin
Feb 15, 2004, 12:15 PM
I just got back from going to the store real quick, and I saw a guy with a ipod mini. I asked how he got it he said he bought it from his brother in california. I wonder if his brother works for apple? But its wierd, those things are FU***NG TINY!

reorx
Feb 15, 2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
I'd buy an iPod mini.... for like $50 or $100 less. $250 (and tack on accessories)... feh, overpriced.

Have you priced a 4GB microdrive lately? Runs $500, and 4GB CF card runs $1200 (priced today from B&H).

Overpriced it is NOT. This is the cheapest that foreign labor can produce it...

Consumers. Feh.

jeffgarden
Feb 15, 2004, 12:31 PM
yeah they do lump ipod and ipod mini sales together, because if you notice, the regular iPod is nowhere on that list

fussball
Feb 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
I placed an order for a mini last week, and I have the ship date listed as on or before 03/09/04... quite a bit of time away.. grrr...

also, in terms of buying an iPod mini... people who don't understand why, just don't buy them. Any apple fan should be VERY aware, though, that we are not the kind of people who look for the highest numbers for the lowest price.. otherwise we would own eMachines (well, maybe not, but you get the idea) Things valuable to me are function, aesthetics, size and exclusivity. iPod minis will not be as common as the iPod, of which I see 10-20 every day, and you can have your own colors...

kenaustus
Feb 15, 2004, 01:05 PM
The mini is going to be a winner and there is going to be a huge backorder list for Apple to fill when they start delivering.

First, like the iPod, people are going to hold them in their hands and want one. The design, packaging, etc. will make it very desirable.

Pink is going to sell a lot to women - and cross dressers . . .

Just as important, those that want that micro drive at a cost far lower than they can get one in the retail market are going to buy one and tear it apart. :mad:

I have an old 5 Gig and am seriously considering one at I travel on overseas business trips, where space & weight are critical. The fact that I love the form has nothing to do with this desire . . . . :D

daddy-mojo
Feb 15, 2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Malic

I've had a 5gb since they first came out. I have over 25gbs of music. Its impossible for me to listen to even one gigs worth of music in a given week. And I use it for tech support related things as well. Do I want a larger capacity, sure, but do I need larger, not really. I've managed pretty well so far with 5gb's. I never forsee myself wanting to carry around all my music with me. It just doesn't make sense. That's why you create playlists and it only takes minutes to sync it up and reload the music. Some people are acting like they're world is over because they can't carry with them 16 solid days of music. My wife would love one of these. I would love one of these. This is a potentially big market for Apple. We'll become a 2 ipod household by this summer I believe. Those of you who say you have to have the largest capacity that money can buy, are you actually using it? Are you even capable of getting through a third of your music? There is only so much time in a day folks.

Omad0n
Feb 15, 2004, 01:16 PM
My onlly qualm with the iPod mini's storage size is that I carry around a lot of Dj sets with me. So I get far less than "1000" songs per say. And since I like to move between different sets, it at least for now makes more sense for my 20gig iPod which I got. Right now I have 1210 songs filling up a bit over 10 gigs. I suppose that will change though as I add more CD's. stil lthugh I'm a big fan of the idea of the mini. Just didn't suit what I needed at the time.

bperkins
Feb 15, 2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by zim
Do you think that it is different software or just crippled? I would think that apple would only want to worry about one version of the iPod os and then just cripple it when applied to the mini.

iPod mini has the same software features as iPod, except support for voice recording and photo storage....

From this Apple KBA (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93570)

andrewh
Feb 15, 2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish
It sucks to me that here is Apple releasing this new product - and I'm not the least bit excited.

We need cooler Macs. More options. More oomph. I've had an iPod since day 1 and I still LOVE it, but I don't feel I need to upgrade, and come the day when the battery is fried and it lives off the mains, so be it, it will still be cool.

I used want a new Powerbook G5, sorry for the rant.

Oh, okay -- We'll make sure Apple checks with you first to make sure they release a product that is exactly what YOU want.

otter-boy
Feb 15, 2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jeffgarden
yeah they do lump ipod and ipod mini sales together, because if you notice, the regular iPod is nowhere on that list

Actually, they do not lump the ipod and the mini together. When they dropped the price on the 15gig for a few days a couple of weeks back, the mini was at #1 and the 15gig was around #2 or #3. The mini is just selling better than the regular pods.

nagromme
Feb 15, 2004, 02:18 PM
Is it not obvious that different people want different things?

Saying "capacity is the most important thing to everybody; size and price and simpler controls and color choice never matter to anyone" just sounds absurd.

If you didn't previously understand why Apple has more than one line of iPods, now you do :) Both lines are great, and are priced well (with slim margins on the mini) compared to their true competitors--but only one may be your personal choice.

It's OK if someone else has different priorities!

Myself, I'm in the middle: I like the white iPod's color... but I like the Aluminum's scratch-resistance. I like the mini's size and weight, and capacity is plenty... but more GB would be more future-proof. I like the bigger screen and lighted buttons... but I REALLY like the new mini click-wheel.

I think I better wait for a 4G full iPod to decide!

snahabed
Feb 15, 2004, 02:25 PM
I too am waiting to see what they do with a 4G iPod before I buy a new unit.

I have a 20GB... while I would love a 60GB unit, I am REALLY dissatisfied with the button placement on the 3G... I have played with it and it does not feel good in my hands. I much prefer the compass buttons.

Would be nice to see them incorporate the clickwheel into a bigger iPod.

Messiatosh
Feb 15, 2004, 02:32 PM
Forget for a minute, forget that the iPod exists. Pretend you were using the same portable music player you had (if you had one) 4 years ago. How did you have your music with you? How many CD's did you carry with you? How many did you want to be able to use?

Ahh, thank God for the iPod. But to me, it isnt the iPod's capacity that draws me to it anymore. I am beyond that, I have no desire or REAL need to have as many songs as 10,000 in my pocket. It costs a lot of money to do that, it also costs pocket space. While the iPod may be small in comparison to portable CD players or most other "comparable" MP3 players, it just isnt a mini.

The mini will be the best selling product in Apple's history, I have no doubts about it. I think the mini is being overlooked, simply because it gets compared in terms of storage capacity. Think about this for a second: it has as much internal storage as the original iMac did!

The mini is effectively going to be Apple's next iMac, this time in comparison to success, not storage capacity.

$249 is too much money to pay for what it is? Look at what it is NOT before you go all negative on me. It is NOT big, it is NOT expensive COMPARED to other iPod's, it is NOT heavy, it does NOT take up room, it is NOT just white, it does NOT have pitiful storage capacity.

This new iPod mini lacks so many things, that it is perfect. And before christmas, it is going to lose something else: $50 off its price tag. Of course, I didnt care about the price, because I paid for what it isnt, as much as I paid for what it is.

Never before have I been so amazed by a "mini" iteration of a product. This new iPod has everything that just about everyone needs. It is interesting to me that people talk up the idea of a low priced tower computer, this is the exact same thing as that except in digital music player form. It appeals to the masses who honestly, could care less about a 9,000 song difference. It is all about the $250 dollar difference, for $250 dollars less...look what you get...and also, look what you DONT get.

Chupa Chupa
Feb 15, 2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
I'm glad to hear from people who support the mini for their own reasons. Seems all I ever hear are people bashing it, mainly because of the price.

Never mind the mini bashers. The vast majority of them are high school and college kids with no business experience. Powerbooks cost more than similarly equipt Powermacs, spy camera with poor image quaility cost more than entry level SLRs, USB flash drives cost more per MB than sticks of RAM, etc, etc. Its just how the economics work out. Its just silly how the mini detractors insist Apple should sell it below cost.

The mini is a phenomenal product with a ready-to-go market niche. And those mini detractors who, if in Jobs position, would not have come out with the mini, or would have set a lower price point, would be hard pressed to explain to Apple's board how Apple lost this market due to flawed logic. All I can say is, I remember when Apple announced the original iPod at $399 for 5GB. Oh the howls that went up on this board by the same people who are now making fun of the mini. They look stupid now, but they march on with their illogical retorts anyway.

wdlove
Feb 15, 2004, 02:41 PM
So it sounds like the iPod Mini is the reason for the "all hands on deck" for the 20th. Maybe we will still be surprised. Can say as I have any interest in the ipod Mini.

neon
Feb 15, 2004, 02:48 PM
in theory i love the mini

but maybe someone reading can give me some advice, opinions?

i dont own an ipod. i was planning to buy a 20GB one, sort of now-ish. for ALL my music, even the 40GB wouldnt suffice, 60 or 80 would be great... so why was i going for the 20 and not the 40? well, price - i am in the UK so we pay more anyway and as its not going to hold everything, i couldnt justify spending that extra £100...

so now i'm thinking, well, the 20 is not going to hold it all, so perhaps wait until the mini is released here, either way i'm going to be changing whats on it fairly often.. and if a 60 or an 80 is out within a year or so, perhaps i'll feel better about purchasing one then, if i am paying less now initially for the mini...

on the other hand - 4GB ok, well its great, but how much room will the OS take?
all my files are mp3's, no AAC's, and the majority are 192 or above, so it's more like 6MB per song as an average

currently i 'cope' with an mp3 cd player (i actually think i preferred my old tape walkman to this, at least it was smaller and tape meant i had to be less fussy) and i am sick of wanting to burn new compilation discs about twice a week at least, the entire burning process and cost of cd-r's (even though they're cheap) is starting to get on my nerves...

so basically, what would you do?

of course, the option of getting a mini assumes i can wait about 8 weeks before they're available here *crys*

crouchingtiger
Feb 15, 2004, 02:48 PM
yeah, as the owner of a 5GB and now a 20GB iPod (1st and 2nd generation respectively), I think I can comment on the two general types of iPod users:

1) The user who needs to have enormous storage capacity. This is often because they want to use the Firewire hard drive functionality, but many people want to have their entire music collection with them at all times as well. This is usually NOT because these people are going to be listening to music for 5-10 days straight! (as is so often ridiculed on this forum and others) Rather, many people, myself included, occasionally just REALLY REALLY want to hear a PARTICULAR song/symphony/album, whatever. It's not like we listen to this song all the time, we just see something that reminds us of it, or someone else mentions it, it doesn't matter. This was the only flaw with my 5GB iPod -- I was continually trying to manage these different playlists to squeeze stuff on it that I thought I might want to listen to in the future and quite frankly it was just a waste of time. Now, with the 20GB iPod, I can keep my entire library plus 3+ gigs of data backup and it's wonderful.

2) The owner who does NOT need enormous storage capacity. In this case, size/weight is the defining factor and the iPod mini is FANTASTIC in this regard (I saw them at Macworld Expo). Apple is going to sell a lot of these things. There are a ton of people who get 'hooked' on certain songs/albums but then get sick of them and move on to the next new thing (before returning to the 'old favorites' a few weeks/months/years later). iPod mini will appeal to these people, as well as those who just have small music collections.

Do we all wish that iPod mini as cheaper? Of course! But we all also wished the original iPod was cheaper as well (I did not purchase mine until it fell to $199 refurbished price) and it did just fine...

bernardb
Feb 15, 2004, 02:52 PM
I had never even considered getting any kind of portable music player at all....until NOW. I just LOVE the size of the mini (I constructed the mock-up PDF) and I love the case and the colors. I would get the blue one to match the LED in my mouse and the color of my eyes...:D

Also, even with all my LP's now converted over to digital music on my computer, AND even with the 200 or so songs I have purchased from ITMS, I STILL would never fill the mini and I certainly would have no reason to have to have my entire song collection in a single device....I just don't have a spare 22 hours a day to listen to every single song I have....unfortunately I have to WORK to buy all these goodies.

I will buy a mini as soon as it is readily available!

pkradd
Feb 15, 2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Jeromino
Does holding these till Thursday open up the overflow of speculation that we might finally see a Tuesday release pertinent to the prosumers?

No. And February 20 is a Friday.

You know the argument about why buy a mini vs a standard iPod is silly. For example. Some people will purchase a $50,000 sports car with minimum room, poor mileage and high repair costs. Others will spend the same amount for a larger sedan, with more room, better mileage and lower repair costs. It depends on what one likes. If we all chose things in life because of just value, practibility or whatever, it would be a bore.

zellin
Feb 15, 2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by mpopkin
Maxtrax, you obviously do not remember the Powemac G4 when it was launched, it was announced in July of 1999 and scheduled to ship i august/september, but it never launched until January of the following year. Apple does not release products because it can, which is true, it does hold back products longer than pc manufacturers because it is greedy. Camera companies traditionally announce products in advance, but in the music industry apple is the lone dove, the one company that does announce early and hold until the opportune moment while announcing that they are available now in the US(when in fact they were not) now i dont have any problems waiting, but it is important for you to realize that Apple is false advertising and could be liable for it. If it was to say product was shipping Feb 20th and is available online preorder now then there would be no problem, but some one should sue apple for false advertising, just to stop this available now practice which is a bunch of b......t.
And can you show us where Apple is advertising the iPod mini as "available now"? Trust me, if Apple were advertising the minis like that, than it would be an issue brought up by more people than just you.

gotohamish
Feb 15, 2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by andrewh
Oh, okay -- We'll make sure Apple checks with you first to make sure they release a product that is exactly what YOU want.

Oh your sarcasm is lost... that's not what I mean - I mean for the last 5 years, at least, everything apple's updated or released has been cool, exciting, or different to me, this just doesn't cut it for ME.

That's right, ME - I have no problem with the mini - i like it - it's just a smaller iPod. Bleh.

eazyway
Feb 15, 2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by macmax

40 g and the same price.

As much as i love Apple i think i would buy me a G5 first, that seems to be a good value, but then again, i would buy the iPod for 50 dollars more.

If the mini was around 199, then i would consider it.

Right ? " am really an Apple dude." Well real Apple dudes would never post that link.

And so what , if size matters and the new wheel matters then so does the mini.

veedubdrew
Feb 15, 2004, 04:06 PM
iPod minis are at The Grove in Los Angeles. They're in the front window on lighted pegs in front of huge pictures of minis.

These things are TINY!!! They're so unbelievably small, I just kept staring at them. It's difficult to understand how they got anything inside of them. The mini about the size of a business card and it's very, very thin.

This thing is not appealing in relation to other iPods, it's appealing in its own right. I got to get a push on the click/scroll wheel (just before an Apple store guy flipped out) and it has nice tactile feedback. Much improved over the 3G iPod layout, IMO.

The colors look more rich and inviting in person than they do on the site and add a lot of personality to the device.

The mini makes my 10GB iPod feel like I'm carrying around my 12" PowerBook with me in comparison to the mini. I must have one.

-Drew

Gravity
Feb 15, 2004, 04:35 PM
My wife preordered one from CDW.com on January 17th. (Birthday present)

I've heard they'll ship on or before February 16th.

Does anybody have a chance of receiving their preordered iPod Minis before the stores are offering them??

Must I wait until Friday or later?

dontmatter
Feb 15, 2004, 04:45 PM
I didn't want to join into the fray of mini useless/wonder product because it's so incredibly unimportant, but....

To those debating the merits of size, if you actually need to carry however many thousands of songs/hundreds of hours with you, I would point out one think I've noticed when using my 10 GB ipod.

When I got it, I thought I'd never be able to fill it, and even if I owned 100 GB of music, what would be the point of having a month's worth of continuous music?

And oh, how opposite this is to my actual use. Because yes, as thousand songs is a lot, an inconcievable lot, but I don't listen by the song. I listen by the album/artist/genre. Today I'm in the mood for this sound, and I want to have 3 hours of it. Tomorrow, I will have no desire to listen to that. And, particularly for someone like me, who listens to everything from trip-hop to chamber music, 10 GB CAN be limiting, because d*****, I want to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel now, and I don't have it on here. or, I have a few songs, but I want a whole album's worth (although, OK, we'll have to switch to somebody else, b/c I can't really take more than 4-5 songs of that in a row).

Now, that is all just what I want. The really annoying thing is, when your library is bigger than your ipod, it's a pain in the ass that you not only have to decide what you are and aren't going to want to listen to, but then you have to move it. And with thousands of songs, it gets really annoying, especially because you have to go back and forth to see what's in the ipod and what's not, etc.

At the same time, different people do different things-one of my friends with the largest CD collection I've ever seen has a total of 6 GB on her 30 GB ipod. She just hasn't ripped all of her CD's, because she only listens to her favorite 10% of her music from her ipod, and listens to the rest only when she's in her room with all her CD's.

Which, actually brings me to something completely off topic. Does anyone know how I can have playlists on my ipod when I manually update it? I update it by putting songs in my ipod playlist, but I can't put playlists in it, at least so it shows it as a playlist in my ipod. I can't do a playlist inside a playlist. I could make the playlist from within the ipod, but that is way too hard.

macmax
Feb 15, 2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by arn
but NOT the same physical size.

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/visitaconnoi/mwsf2004/ipodminie/preview/ipodmini02.jpg

by the same argument, why would you get a 17" PowerBook for $2999 when you can get a PowerMac G5 for the same price?

for that matter... why did anyone buy the original iPod when you could get the Archos player (bigger storage, bigger physically) for the same price?

arn

Arn< guess you got me there, i didn't know that it was that big, i thought it was the size of an iPod.

a17inchFuture
Feb 15, 2004, 05:16 PM
I think ipods are pretty much the wave of the future, or at least mp3 players are, and apple's version is the ipod. Therefore, it makes sense that they would diversify their ipods. They make a slightly smaller, more hip version, the same way we get the smaller cell phone, or the one with more colors, simply because that is what is importnat to us.

If these continue to be popular, which the itunes music shop singifies, apple is doing a smart thing, by making their product more desirable by a slightly different market.

What we really need to be talking about is the apparent neglect by apple of it powerbooks. I am desperate for a g5 powerbook, and will even settle for higher speeds.

But, can't they work it out quickly enough, with the new IBM processor, to make some sort of announcement about g5's soon, as opposed to the summer or even fall? I mean, if ipods min's can be announced the first couple days of 2004 but not techinically be available until the end of february, can't we skip the minor speed bumps and get the g5 PB out there? Since these chips have such low power consumption, they shouldn't have as much difficulty putting them in PB's and dealing with the heat, right?

I keep having dreams about where and if they are gonna put the grid of holes on the new g5 books . . . .

a17inchFuture
Feb 15, 2004, 05:30 PM
Also, I thought i read somewhere that IBM gave apple test versions of these chips a while ago. So, Apple coudl have been designing a G5 book based on it all this time. And if that is the case, and if there can be such a disparity between announcements and the actual dates the products are available, couldn't we hope for something before fall?

rdowns
Feb 15, 2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by otter-boy
Actually, they do not lump the ipod and the mini together. When they dropped the price on the 15gig for a few days a couple of weeks back, the mini was at #1 and the 15gig was around #2 or #3. The mini is just selling better than the regular pods.

Let's not forget the iPod is available at many other sites and physical stores and often less expensive than Apple sells them for. It's not like the hottest gadget from December is suddenly collecting dust on shelves.

rdowns
Feb 15, 2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by veedubdrew
iPod minis are at The Grove in Los Angeles. They're in the front window on lighted pegs in front of huge pictures of minis.

These things are TINY!!! They're so unbelievably small, I just kept staring at them. It's difficult to understand how they got anything inside of them. The mini about the size of a business card and it's very, very thin.

This thing is not appealing in relation to other iPods, it's appealing in its own right. I got to get a push on the click/scroll wheel (just before an Apple store guy flipped out) and it has nice tactile feedback. Much improved over the 3G iPod layout, IMO.

The colors look more rich and inviting in person than they do on the site and add a lot of personality to the device.

The mini makes my 10GB iPod feel like I'm carrying around my 12" PowerBook with me in comparison to the mini. I must have one.

-Drew

IIRC, I read that the mini is the size of 18 business cards stacked.

Messiatosh
Feb 15, 2004, 05:56 PM
One of the great things about it is iTunes' ability to manage as many iPods as you want. A user can still have a huge 40 GB iPod and also a mini for working out with! (Which is why I bought one, Blue to be exact)

MacWhispers
Feb 15, 2004, 05:57 PM
FWIW... I saw the Mini at MWSF, immediately following the keynote. The moment the online store posted the product, I ordered a silver one. Didn't even blink. A week later, I got a nonfunctional Mini from Apple (for accessory development), showed it to my wife, and SHE hopped online and ordered one (a blue one).

Why?

Because neither of us ever has more than 300 to 500 songs on our full-sized iPods, and we're both enchanted by the Mini's mini size and weight. Also, we go to Best Buy and Circuit City pretty often, and we can both clearly see the ugly as hell flash memory based alternatives there, with only 512MB of memory, gawd-awful design, and $199 to $299 price tags.

Do you people knocking the value proposition of the iPod Mini even realize that there are many commercially successful 512MB flash based players selling quite nicely for $249 to $299???

Apple has hit a solid home run with the Mini.

<sigh>

NusuniAdmin
Feb 15, 2004, 06:15 PM
At school in my marketing class my teacher lectured about opening up to markets, and get as many markets as possible. Well the regular ipod = market who WANTS a big gun mp3 player, mini ipod= people who WANT little compact and really portable mp3 player. They are all just wants, humans really only have like 5 basic needs, love, water, food, energy (besides water and food), and a stable enviroment. That is it. It is not about needing a small ipod or a really large ipod (by large i mean big hd). its all about wanting it, and because people want it you can open to many more people by making a new product. This strategy my teacher talked about is just what apple is doing, and by the way mini is #1 and has been for some time now, it seems like it is working pretty darn well for them. I cant believe people keep complaining about the price and crap and apple's buisness ethics when it comes to the mini, i think they are doing great, and many other buisness people errr capitalists would agree wit me.

silverone
Feb 15, 2004, 06:43 PM
Stores will receive various colors beginning Monday but like the past OS X10.3 release party, stores will be "encouraged" to keep stock in back room in case other shipments arrive throughout the week. Apple doesn't want stores to put out the green mini on Tuesday, sell them all and come Friday, everyone who asks for a green mini is turned away. Apple is sending an initial allotment based on store performance in the early part of the week than based on online sales, stores may be getting more sent out of distribution come Wednesday.
Stores will most likely hold another "music night" much like before with music related product at a 10% discount but from what I understand, if Apple sees poor online orders, stores may offer the 10% across all product in attempt to lure patronage.
This is the BEST chance for anyone who's been griping about the price to pick-up a mini at a one time discount!
For me, it's a steal, as the iPod remains the most reliable portable hard drive product if you're transporting data as well as AAC's.
I have a 40GB but if I loose that than I estimate that I'd loose over 13K dollars in music purchases. The Mini provides some insurance.

..Date and Apple Employee and gain sufficient knowledge on Valentines Day after two bottles of wine...

RBMaraman
Feb 15, 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by bperkins
iPod mini has the same software features as iPod, except support for voice recording and photo storage....

From this Apple KBA (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93570)

Yes, they both have the same features, minus voice recording and photo storage...

BUT...

The iPod Mini uses "iPod Mini Software Version 1.0" while the regular iPod uses "iPod Software Version 2.1".

So, to answer Zim's question, the iPod Mini does use a different iPod OS.

mpopkin
Feb 15, 2004, 06:55 PM
IF you EVER looked at the APPLe site than you would notice when they announced the Ipod Mini
it said under it available now in the US and in April in Europe. Look before you talk is the name of the game and you talked before you looked. End of story

Originally posted by zellin
And can you show us where Apple is advertising the iPod mini as "available now"? Trust me, if Apple were advertising the minis like that, than it would be an issue brought up by more people than just you.

mhouse
Feb 15, 2004, 07:27 PM
1.) I really, truly can't believe this "too expensive" thing. First of all, if you price HD music players that have the same capacity and are *even remotely* the same size as the mini, then you will quickly realize that the mini is not at all overpriced. Smaller costs more in electronics. I thought we wrapped up that debate a long time ago.

2.) Capacity. Different people have different needs. Personally the mini would work great for me. I have never understood the "I have mine filled up and could probably fill up a 60gb model" crowd. It almost seems like a big pissing contest with everyone trying to out-geek one another by claiming they need more capacity. Are you hiking for months in the congo without the ability to sync occasionally? I don't know what jobs (other than DJ) where you can spend all day listening to music? Of course you need tons of space if your iPod doubles as HD, but a thousand songs, synced on random with iTunes, should be plenty for most average folks I would think.

3.) Gotta tell ya...I work in a certain "computer retail store" and judging from demand and interest, I wouldn't be surprised to the mini absolutely explode. Remember...there were no Apple Stores to speak of when the original iPod was released. The Mini will almost certainly outsell iPod at least initially.

gtree10
Feb 15, 2004, 07:42 PM
I just got an email saying my mini is shipping!!!

musicmaniac210
Feb 15, 2004, 07:56 PM
Can you post your tracking Number?

So we can all track so we know when they've arrived in the states?

Thanks!

mashinhead
Feb 15, 2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by gtree10
I just got an email saying my mini is shipping!!!

When did you place your order?
<br><br><br>

My grip with apple is not the product, though i do believe, despite the fact that is priced to compete with a specific market, that it should be priced cheaper and more consistantly with its own pricing structure. That aside, is still want one, and that is not my grip. My grip is the fact that they introduced it a month ago, and if i 'order' one today (online) i have to wait 2-4 weeks to have it shipped to me? Screw that! If after 20 years of making these products, and the established and increasing customer loyalty they have, they can not anticipate the demand, then maybe they're a little....off. While i know this maybe a marketing strategy, i dont really care. Just sell me one man, i'm sick of waiting.

gtree10
Feb 15, 2004, 08:01 PM
I ordered it on Jan 6th, as soon as the Apple store opened back up.

The tracking number is:

musicmaniac210
Feb 15, 2004, 08:06 PM
thanks dude,

It's showing that it was just picked up in Taiwan...

Now comes the fun of FedEX Tracking

I'm sure all of the Apple Retail Orders shipped by now too...

So probably when it arrives to you the Apple Stores will have them.

sosumi99
Feb 15, 2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Chupa Chupa
Never mind the mini bashers. The vast majority of them are high school and college kids with no business experience. Powerbooks cost more than similarly equipt Powermacs, spy camera with poor image quaility cost more than entry level SLRs, USB flash drives cost more per MB than sticks of RAM, etc, etc. Its just how the economics work out. Its just silly how the mini detractors insist Apple should sell it below cost.

I'm not sure business experience has much to do with it. I think the mini bashers simply don't understand what needs the Minis are fulfilling.

I'm a girl. I like pink things. I have smaller hands, and I want the music player to look good when I'm holding it and I want it to fit in my (small) purse along with my phone, lipstick, etc. I want it to look feminine when I use it. These happen to be some of the features where the Minis outshine the regular iPod along with everything else.

Capt. Obvious
Feb 15, 2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by sosumi99
I think the mini bashers simply don't understand what needs the Minis are fulfilling.

I'm a girl. I like pink things. I have smaller hands, and I want the music player to look good when I'm holding it and I want it to fit in my (small) purse along with my phone, lipstick, etc. I want it to look feminine when I use it. And from the far end of the spectrum:
I'm a man w/ great big hands, & I'm tired of carrying tons of stuff around.
My cellphone is so small & thin I can carry it in a front pants pocket & not notice it at all - weight or bulge.
The iPod mini appears to be virtually the same size as my phone,
so I expect I won't notice it at all, either.

That's what I want: disappearing gadgets, invisible technology, beautiful & functional objects.

The mini is all three.

I bought a 10gb 'Pod right after Thanksgiving '02, carried it around for a month, and took it back.
When the guy asked what was wrong with it & I said I didn't like it,
he stared at me like I'd just grown a third head -
apparently I'm the only person who ever returned one for not liking it.
Bottom line? it was (too) big & (too) bulky (for me).
And since even a 120gb 'Pod couldn't hold my entire collection, storage doesn't enter into it.

I initially thought the price was high & the colors were garish
(I'm still shaking my head over the pink - no offence)
but the more I've thought it over, the more I realise that
it's what I wanted the iPod to be in the first place -
and the more certain I am that when I get a mini, I won't be returning it.

And, like I said: storage isn't the point -
I'd rather have the mini than any other mp3 player on the market.

$250? I'll take it!
Gold, I think - or maybe green....

nospleen
Feb 15, 2004, 10:40 PM
Yeaaaaah! Mine shipped too! 631404225056

Jerry Spoon
Feb 15, 2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by nospleen
Yeaaaaah! Mine shipped too! 631404225056

For those of you who have had their mini ship, when did Apple tell you it would ship by?
Just curious and wondering if it will give me any idea when my mini might ship.

Messiatosh
Feb 15, 2004, 11:29 PM
MINE SHIPPED TOO!!!! It was supposed to be "on or before 2-17-04"

Early=happy....yaaaaa!:)

LethalWolfe
Feb 15, 2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by mhouse
2.) Capacity. Different people have different needs. Personally the mini would work great for me. I have never understood the "I have mine filled up and could probably fill up a 60gb model" crowd. It almost seems like a big pissing contest with everyone trying to out-geek one another by claiming they need more capacity. Are you hiking for months in the congo without the ability to sync occasionally? I don't know what jobs (other than DJ) where you can spend all day listening to music? Of course you need tons of space if your iPod doubles as HD, but a thousand songs, synced on random with iTunes, should be plenty for most average folks I would think.

I'd want to carry all my music around because it's inevadible<sp?> that the song(s) I want to hear I do not have w/me. I don't have an iPod yet (no spare $$$) but when I do get one it will be atleast a 40gig (gives me some room to grow into). Currently I always have about 30 CDs w/me that I cycle thru and it would be awesome just to grab my iPod and go w/o having to worry about what music I think I might want to listen to through out the day. I listen to music at home, at work, in the car... if I'm awake I'm probably listening to music.

Lethal

Capt. Obvious
Feb 16, 2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I'd want to carry all my music around because it's inevadible<sp?>.... inevitable

ionas
Feb 16, 2004, 12:54 AM
And he did it again...
he fooled our minds,
by paper launching!

Damn!

While I don't care about the miniPod much, just cause I do not have the money, and I am at home most of time (listing music here), or at places where music just distrubs, what I dislike about Apple this time, AGAIN, is to "almost paperlaunch" things.

While the hardware was ready when SJ announced the G5 it still took 3-6 month before shipping. And again the miniPod tooks 1-at least 2 month (maybe more)

You all (if you do not) should as well consider world wide sales and shipping, just cause apple is a direct online seller, they have to ship world wide really fast after announcing products (even on their own damn website).

Why I am so angry? ;p

Cause I am waiting for PM rev. B, and while there will be PM rev. B the latest date in mid summer, when will Rev. B be shipped? december?

And if apple releases a rev. B in late Q2 I still want it to be there in Q2 and not in Q3 when, in late Q3 to early Q4 the next revision will be announced for x-mas biz.

I wish I could order my rev. B now and have it shipped within 2 weeks - thats already an abnormal shipping time, but considering BTO options and world wide shipping it would be acceptable to me.

l8er p33ps!

tomdavies
Feb 16, 2004, 01:18 AM

Yeah! The only worse thing is when Apple announces a product and releases it immediately, meaning you might have bought the old one the day before. :-)

Gravity
Feb 16, 2004, 07:08 AM
I'm getting mine from CDW. What are the chances I'll get it at the same time that folks who ordered directly from apple will?

Do you think my mini will go to cdw FIRST, and then re-shipped? Or is apple drop-shipping these things for its resellers?

nospleen
Feb 16, 2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
For those of you who have had their mini ship, when did Apple tell you it would ship by?
Just curious and wondering if it will give me any idea when my mini might ship.

Mine said, on or before the 17th. I hope this helps...

jimsowden
Feb 16, 2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Gravity
I'm getting mine from CDW. What are the chances I'll get it at the same time that folks who ordered directly from apple will?

Do you think my mini will go to cdw FIRST, and then re-shipped? Or is apple drop-shipping these things for its resellers?

First, it goes from Tiwan to a distributer (TechData or Ingrm Micro) then is shipped to the CDW facility, then is shipped to you, if your lucky. These resellers get screwed because they have to have the same price as apple yet are forced to have much longer waits on releases like this.

sparks9
Feb 16, 2004, 11:09 AM

I recently read a review of the iPod in a danish magazine. Their only complaint was that it was too expensive and that very few people need to carry 10000 songs. So they actually recommended a creative muvo 256 mb over the iPod (because it costs less and has less space)

The iPod mini adresses both of these points.
My prediction: It will outsell the original iPod.

Gravity
Feb 16, 2004, 11:10 AM
Oh, great. I'll be among the last from the early buyers to get theirs!

Oh well...my wife thought saving $4.00 was worth going with CDW.

jimsowden
Feb 16, 2004, 11:27 AM
Yah, I work at an apple authorized reseller and we get this treatment too. I wish I worked at an apple store because I would be closer to apple, get all the products before anyone else, have an awesome looking store, and get inside info (thought not much) It would be much better.

Nicky G
Feb 16, 2004, 12:03 PM
It still blows me away that people don't "get" the mini. Trust me -- once you have the pleasure of holding one, playing with the clickwheel, etc. -- you will get it.

Some people are saying "it's inevitable that I'll want to hear a song of mine, and it's not on my mini -- that's why I need the larger capacity." Well good for you -- nobody's knocking that, from what I've seen. That's why the iPod exists.

I, however, don't fit that mould. I listen primarily to electronic music, ranging from ambient to hard techno to very experimental stuff. When I listen to music, I am looking for a "mood," not a song. I am in such-and-such a mood, and thus, I want an album to match that mood. Or maybe I want an album that takes me to a certain place.

With 50+ albums in my pocket, which the mini will hold quite well, there will ALWAYS be an album in my pocket that reflects the mood I am looking for. In fact, there will be several. That's why the mini will always satisfy my musical needs. If I am on a long trip, I will have my iBook G4 with me anyway, with my entire library. Trust me -- manually controlling which albums are on your iPod is a very easy task, and I plan to shuffle the music on my mini every week or so, manually.

My gold mini went out today, and I am pumped. If it's not for you, so what -- don't rain on my parade. Or I might start bringing up a great number of reasons why my mini is vastly superior to your iPod. :P

Capt. Obvious
Feb 16, 2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by sparks9
My prediction: It will outsell the original iPod.
Agreed.

I'll even take that further: I predict that the mini will replace the original,
effective within 30 days (+/-) of HP's pod-clone hitting the shelves:
Apple will cease to sell Apple-branded original-format iPods,
and will instead offer the mini in a range of capacities.

Mini sales will make iPod sales to date seem weak.

Gravity
Feb 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Capt. Obvious
Agreed.

I'll even take that further: I predict that the mini will replace the original,
effective within 30 days (+/-) of HP's pod-clone hitting the shelves:
Apple will cease to sell Apple-branded original-format iPods,
and will instead offer the mini in a range of capacities.

Mini sales will make iPod sales to date seem weak.

I think the minis will bring about world peace.

Messiatosh
Feb 16, 2004, 03:01 PM
My iPod mini commercial (http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio/iMovieTheater28.html)

Potus
Feb 16, 2004, 04:28 PM
COOL!

jimsowden
Feb 16, 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Messiatosh
My iPod mini commercial (http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio/iMovieTheater28.html)
where did you get your mini?

Messiatosh
Feb 16, 2004, 04:39 PM
The one in the ad is a paper cutout, mine shipped and will arrive on friday!

Capt. Obvious
Feb 16, 2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Gravity
I think the minis will bring about world peace. I remember the day Mary Pollack walked into class in an invisibly-small mini - it didn't create world peace...it started a riot!

jameskk
Feb 16, 2004, 06:37 PM
I got my shipment confirmation from Apple this AM.. my 2 minis are on the way direct from TW.. shows estimated delivery on Friday 20th!

poopyman67
Feb 16, 2004, 06:41 PM
man, the ipod mini is sooo awesome!!! The SIZE, its the size and the style man!!! Sure you can get others that hold the same amount for 80 bux less, but do they look as good and are as small?? HECK NO!!! I'm a pc person, and I'm proud to finally purchase a MAC item!!! I even d/l ed the cut out, so I could see what it would really look out!! OH YEAH!

jimsowden
Feb 16, 2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Messiatosh
The one in the ad is a paper cutout, mine shipped and will arrive on friday!
Oh, ok. I still have yet to see a real one. I aslo did the cutout deal, but I can't imagine what the real one feels like. I'm goin to SoHo this sunday to pick me up a silver one.

Messiatosh
Feb 16, 2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by jimsowden
Oh, ok. I still have yet to see a real one. I aslo did the cutout deal, but I can't imagine what the real one feels like. I'm goin to SoHo this sunday to pick me up a silver one.

Cool man, I got the blue one, hopefully it looks sweet. OF COURSE IT WILL. Hows that G5 BTW?

Nicky G
Feb 16, 2004, 09:35 PM
I will say this -- I have got to play with a mini, and it is every bit as cool as you might hope it is. The way it just fits in your hand is sublime, or as sublime as any piece of consumer electronics can be. More so than the original in my personal opinion -- and I'm not knocking the 3G iPod, I just now think it's the 2nd coolest piece of consumer electronics I've ever seen, and now the mini is #1. Yes, it's that freaking slick. I'm sorry, but I don't need more than 60 albums in my pocket at once, and anybody who thinks they do is really more interested in comparing GB capacity than music. IMHO of course. ;-) The clickwheel is the shizzy, the size and weight are breathtaking, the anodized aluminum finish is slick as HECK -- OH MAN I can't wait 'til Friday, when my gold mini arrives!!! :D

Gravity
Feb 16, 2004, 09:40 PM
We didn't order mine from Apple. Mine is coming from cdw.com.

I probably won't get mine on friday, will I? CDW will get their stock about then...and then ship mine out some time later. I don't get mine till next week...at least that's how it's lookin'.

Bummin'.

NusuniAdmin
Feb 16, 2004, 09:40 PM
well tomorrow, possibly g5 updated? imac g5? pb g5? who knows, i hope we get something. This is not really mini ipod related...but still

Messiatosh
Feb 16, 2004, 09:41 PM
Oh god youre making me anxious...friday come sooner!

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio/iMovieTheater28.html

rogo
Feb 17, 2004, 12:04 AM
Seriously, the price ought to be $199.

And it will be.

It already is for the Muvo and Creative doesn't figure that they'll make any money selling songs or pricey add ons. Apple does figure on a certain attach rate per iPod sold.

Apple is being Apple --> They can get $249 for the first batch and since they won't meet demand, why not?

And when summer rolls along, this thing drops to $199 and the hPod (HP model) comes out and suddenly you hear the first cracks in the thaw around the "we make no money with iTunes" rhetoric....

The Mini's price is "dumb" because of the pricing of the 15, 20 and 40GB units and the utter lack of consistency in the line. It's smart because, well, it's going to work for a few months, which is all it's being asked to do.

Mark

sparks9
Feb 17, 2004, 04:57 AM
Cnet review iPod mini "very good":
http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6490_7-30657036.html

I found the link at ipodlounge.com

sushi
Feb 17, 2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by sparks9
Cnet review iPod mini "very good":
http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6490_7-30657036.html

I found the link at ipodlounge.com
From the review:

"The iPod brand has become synonymous with excellent portable audio players, and the 4GB Apple iPod Mini carries on the tradition with its fashionable, intelligent design."

This weekend, while skiing with my Rio SU30 flash player, someone saw it and remarked, is that one of the cool iPods?

Folks the iPod has arrived.

Cool, portable MP3 player = iPod.

The mini iPod will only spur on sales. And I agree with the others who suggest that the mini will outsell the original.

As for me, I have an original 10GB version and love it. My RIO SU30 flash player is very nice as well. However, I am looking at my second iPod, a mini this time. They are cool and very functional.

However, the waiting sux for us folks in Japan!

Sushi

eazyway
Feb 17, 2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by rogo
Seriously, the price ought to be $199.

And it will be.

It already is for the Muvo and Creative doesn't figure that they'll make any money selling songs or pricey add ons. Apple does figure on a certain attach rate per iPod sold.

Apple is being Apple --> They can get $249 for the first batch and since they won't meet demand, why not?

And when summer rolls along, this thing drops to $199 and the hPod (HP model) comes out and suddenly you hear the first cracks in the thaw around the "we make no money with iTunes" rhetoric....

The Mini's price is "dumb" because of the pricing of the 15, 20 and 40GB units and the utter lack of consistency in the line. It's smart because, well, it's going to work for a few months, which is all it's being asked to do.

Mark

Comparisons are silly since Apple has already stated that this is a lower margin item than the iPod.

The comments on this thread about the price is really absurd. Obviously most people have no concept about the cost of production and the effects of design and ease of use. Price is dictated by the cost of productin shipping and the standard nargins. Comparing an iPod to the Zen is like comparing an VW to an Audi ...sure they are both the same but the saying the Audi should be the same price as a VW. Apple has now produced a product with lower margins and that is not a good precident. So in this case Apple has produced an Audi very close to the price of a VW. Still I have to decide what I want to buy for myself the 20 Gb iPod or the mini.

If the mini was the same size as the ipod then the $50 price difference would be hard to justify.

Apple may have been better to offer it even closer to the price of the 15 G iPod to illustrate the smaller does cost more. Especially when the features are almost the same.

Gravity
Feb 17, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by eazyway
Apple may have been better to offer it even closer to the price of the 15 G iPod to illustrate the smaller does cost more. Especially when the features are almost the same.

Boy, I'm glad YOU'RE not setting the prices!!!

rogo
Feb 19, 2004, 02:20 AM
"
The comments on this thread about the price is really absurd."

Your comments might be, mine ain't.

The Muvo2 is $199 -- today. And Creative can't count on accessory and iTunes revenue.

So why does Apple need to charge more?

Answer: They don't.

They are doing it because they can.

But today in the early-adopter phase, people are buying these players who are likely to pay for downloads. And every sale Apple loses, it loses for years to come.

It is obvious that the future money maker is digital music distribution, not getting a price premium for hardware that will increasingly not be dramatically better than competitive hardware.

It is obvious to almost everyone who isn't Steve Jobs that is.

nospleen
Feb 19, 2004, 09:15 AM
Mine just arrived!! My wife just called me and she opened the outside box to confirm it was my mini! Now, the long wait until 5. I may sneak out for an extended lunch to pick it up.:D

Gravity
Feb 19, 2004, 09:20 AM
Soooooo jealous. Mine was ordered from CDW and I doubt I'll get it before monday.

jameskk
Feb 19, 2004, 09:47 AM
MY 2 Minis are HERE!!!!! I just tracked them and they showed out for delivery TODAY and my office called and said that I had 2 FedEx boxes on my desk!!!!! Now I am racing to get to my office to see them!!! Now work getting done today!!

nospleen
Feb 19, 2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by jameskk
MY 2 Minis are HERE!!!!! I just tracked them and they showed out for delivery TODAY and my office called and said that I had 2 FedEx boxes on my desk!!!!! Now I am racing to get to my office to see them!!! Now work getting done today!!

I feel your pain. I think I feel a cough coming on. J/K. But, this is going to be one long day!! I can hardly wait to go to the gym with it. I am sick of listening to the music the gym decides to play.

wdlove
Feb 19, 2004, 10:00 AM
Congratulations to Gravity and jameskk on their new arrivals. Now we will be able to get real first hand accounts soon. If possible please post pictures of your pride and joy.

nospleen
Feb 19, 2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Congratulations to Gravity and jameskk on their new arrivals. Now we will be able to get real first hand accounts soon. If possible please post pictures of your pride and joy.

I will put some on my .mac account tonight. I will post the link here.

nospleen
Feb 20, 2004, 11:01 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/emsdad/ipodmini/PhotoAlbum31.html

mpopkin
Feb 20, 2004, 11:52 PM
Mini is here, i managed to squeak out a blue, it is simply an amazing interface, but the charges add up, i ended up getting the dock and armband and it was quite expensive, if it was not so much nicer than the Ipod 20gb, it is so small it is amazing, it's size comes from its width and that makes an amzing product, i have to say that when it is done charging i intend to use it first thing. So far i love it
Matt

I will put some on my .mac account tonight. I will post the link here.

Gravity
Feb 21, 2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the congratulations...but I won't have mine until monday.

I DID get my M-Audio Keystation 49e yesterday....nice keyboard

Messiatosh
Feb 21, 2004, 11:24 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugenio/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-02-19%2014.01.19%20-0800/Image-C4224EFE632611D8.jpg

wdlove
Feb 21, 2004, 11:31 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/emsdad/ipodmini/PhotoAlbum31.html

A very nice picture setup for the iPod Mini. A great way to show a perspective on its size. Also very impressed by your wood desk. I think that the natural wood look is awesome.

Messiatosh
Feb 21, 2004, 12:03 PM
Size: Although at first glance and from what pictures you may have seen online, the iPod mini seems "not that much smaller" than the current iPod. In reality, it is not really that much smaller! But, the 3G iPod is small as it is, that the iPod mini being even smaller, makes it unreasonably small, yet still insanely functional. Stand an iPod mini up to a mini DV tape, and you'll be impressed.

Actual Feel: The difference between the original iPod and the mini in terms of weight alone is reason enough for runners to buy it. I used to run with the original iPod and if I would try to put it in my pocket, it would either pull my pants down or swing dangerously. The ladies would like me to keep on using the original iPod, but he mini is better for those of us who are self conscious about our manhood, among other things. By placing the iPod mini on your arm for running with the optional armband, you wont know its there. It is an incredible feeling to be running and hearing music, but not even have a constant reminder from the source itself, that the music is being played from it. It is like weightless music. I took the mini to school with me, with no case. I just dropped it into my jean's pocket and off I went. Hardly any noticeable weight, and nearly zero bulk.

Construction/Design: The mini is really well protected in its aluminum shell, it has picked up no scratches or blemishes of any kind to its body. The only concern I have, is that the scroll whell is prone to getting dirty, because I must have had pencil lead on my finger, which rubbed onto the scroll wheel. I rubbed off the mark in time, so it didnt stain, but it is something to be careful about. Wash your hands before using the mini! I havent dropped it yet, thank god. I hope I never do, but I feel confident that if I did accidentally happen to fumble the mini, it is made out of a resilient grade aluminum and it wouldnt break.

Price/Value: Obviously, this is the most touchy of all of the subjects surrounding the iPod mini. For me, there is no question that the price was well worth it for the product. I am able to go running with the iPod mini now, and not have to worry about dropping it or switching the hands that hold it as I run. It can slip into my pocket and it wont pick up scratches or blemishes. Maybe the only thing I miss is being able to covertly check out my hair in the reflective mirror of the old iPod. As many people may say, the difference of 11 GB's just wont allow them to spend $50 less. For those people it is understandable that they would feel like that. If I were not as active and on-the-go as I am, I would not buy an iPod mini.

Conclusion: So far the experience I have had with the mini really outdoes my original iPod experience. I am not able to carry as many songs, but I also only listen to so many. Portability may come at a slight premium but as far as Apple's players go, the most portable one is the least expensive option. I would encourage anyone to go see it for themselves to get an idea of the fit and finish, that Apple is famous for, and the mini is no exception to Ive's wonderous design skills. I truely believe this iPod mini is going to be the reason why Apple retains its lead in digital music, now and into the foreseeable future.

Potus
Feb 21, 2004, 02:58 PM
I want one! I love my 20 but I want a mini!
'nuf said.

Chupa Chupa
Feb 21, 2004, 04:46 PM
I went to the Apple Store this morning and played with the minis. Of all the colors, silver is the only one I'd get, though it felt a little boring. The other colors seemed either too teenybopper or flashy. The pink one is begging for a Hello Kitty sticker. My niece would go crazy for it.

Once in my hand, I was in love with it. It felt, well, sexy. Its amazing how much smaller it FEELS compared to the regular iPod. I did a side-by-side and the regular iPod (15GB) feels like a brick in comparison. And forget about the 40GB. That is a boulder next to the mini. Active people are going to love these minis.

Functionally, the mini also scores big. I though it was both faster and more intuitive than the regular iPod. The backlight seems brighter as well.

After playing with it for awhile I really wanted one. But, as I own a regular 15GB, and I'm not all that active I really could not justify one at this point, given it only holds 4GB. But as soon as the technology arrives where they can stuff 8-10GB in the package, I'm all on board. The mini is a fantastic product.

spencecb
Feb 21, 2004, 07:49 PM
I went in to the Apple Store today, and I must say I was much more impressed by the mini in person than I was when it was announced and by all of the pictures on Apple's website. This is something you have to see in person to really appreciate. It was incredible looking, and so light! Not to mention, the display in the front window of the Apple Store is pretty darn cool too.

elgruga
Feb 22, 2004, 07:29 AM
Will get one as soon as they arrive in Canada.
You know, in 2006 or somethin.......

mpopkin
Feb 22, 2004, 11:29 AM
This is sort of a summary of my First Day with my iPOD Mini(Blue). I have a few problems, but other than that this has performed above and beyond the call of duty for a music player.
Review: I will leave a #/5 rating after each category which will add up to the total review score. In each category i will compare it to the current iPod.
The Basics:
Size: To say this player is small is understating the truth, this device in miniscule. It is the size of a credit card(serious) and a bit smaller in some ways too. It is great for running, holding or slipping in your pocket and disappearing. I bought the Mini Armband and went running with it yesterday. Not only did it perform admirably, i hardly noticed that it was there.
Smaller by a small margin over the iPod, but its size is appealing and is definetely its greatest assest. Rating: 5/5

Build: Solid as a rock hardly sums up the sturdiness of the iPod Mini. It is one piece of metal which is hard to bend or affect in any way. it can be dropped i can say for sure(i have not dropped mine) but it is built to stand a fall for sure. It is smooth, hard to scratch. It is almost impossible to scratch and even fingerprint(except for the wheel. Compared to the iPod it is also an advantage, it is sturdier, stronger, resists scratches/blemishes and can withstand abuse. Rating: 5/5

Interface: Same iPod interface with fluidity improvements, not much different here, it seems to sync well with your Mac/PC and allows for easy browsing as is typical with iPod. No major improvements except for a bit more fluid.
Rating: 4/5

Inputs: Clickwheel! is amazing, i simply have no words to describe it, it is superior in every way to the iPod inputs and responds to all your commands perfectly, if you have seen a picture of it. The whole wheel is touch sensitive(like the iPod) and when you want to change a song or turn it off or go back to menu all you have to do is push in the part and it responds instantly. The dock for the Mini Ipod works great too with the same easy interface you would find with the iPod. You will find the exact same headphone setup with the Mini as you would find on the Ipod, unfortunately the Mini does not ship with the Remote found on the iPod. Rating: 4/5(missing the Remote)

Battery:
Yes, this is an iPod, but the Mini has so far had an outstanding battery, it is as good as the iPod or even better, i have put it through the ropes so far and it has performed admirably. Better than the iPod.
Rating: 5/5

Performance(Audio): dont need to say it, but the audio is great. this does need much of a review, but the sound, volume and quality is so high that no other player can meet it.
Rating: 5/5

Performance(Interface, Tech). Bad point scored here for my Mini at least. The interface was great with no problems, but my Mini just stopped working once. Period stopped working with a full battery and everything. I reset it and it worked fine afterward, but just the little worry period put me overboard. A New Product should not have this kind of problem within its first day of use. Period. kudos go out to Apple however for including great documentation of problems and how to fix them. I have not had this problem with a regular Ipod, so the Ipod wins out in this front.
Rating: 3/5

The iPod mini is the best player out there for the mobile minded, who do not want the terrible interace given by the Jukebox Zen or Muvo, basically the competition. It has a great battery life for an iPod. Its portability, size and strength will make it a worthy buy even at $250 and it will never cease to impress even the most doubtful of readers/users.
This player bests the iPod at all but the most trivial of things. Kudos to Apple
Overall Rating; 31/35. Great.

nospleen
Feb 22, 2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
A very nice picture setup for the iPod Mini. A great way to show a perspective on its size. Also very impressed by your wood desk. I think that the natural wood look is awesome.

I could not agree with you more!:D

keysersoze
Feb 22, 2004, 09:06 PM
Nice PICS.... I thought I'd be the first to compliment your choice of wood grain, but NO. Somebody beat me to that.

Anyways, thanks for giving me (and everyone else) a glimpse.

louden
Feb 25, 2004, 01:41 AM
I went out and bought a mini today (Silver). I was going to get the dock to go along with it, but I noticed that all the miniís in the store had scratches on them for where they rubbed against the dock. And thatís only after a few days!

I did buy the armband. Iím not Hercules, but the band wouldnít fit around my bicep (making me feel like Hercules). I needed to push it down to just above my elbow to get it to fit comfortably. Other than being soaked after a long workout, it worked like a champ. Letís just hope it doesnít start to smellÖ

Iím pretty frugal, and I hate to admit it, but this thing is worth the $250. Nothing else really touches this given the size, price, capacity and sexiness. Maybe Apples should have included the remote for the price, but theyíre ahead of the curve. If you can find a better deal, get it.

One more thing - can iTunes recognize more than one iPod at a time? I've connected both my 2G and mini, and only the firewire iPod is detected....