PDA

View Full Version : Why am I charged MORE than 99c/song?

sjjordan
Feb 15, 2004, 10:16 AM
When I look at the charges, I am charged $1.07 per song? Why is that? I'm buying from Alabama. Is the State charging iTunes sales tax or something??

It's annoying

Krizoitz
Feb 15, 2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by sjjordan
When I look at the charges, I am charged $1.07 per song? Why is that? I'm buying from Alabama. Is the State charging iTunes sales tax or something??

It's annoying

Correct, Apple applies the appropriate state sales tax for all states that have it. It may be irritating to have to spend a little more, but it the law.

The only way to avoid this is to have an out of state credit card in a state without sales tax (Oregon if you live here on the west coast for example). Trouble is you have to have some sort of residency for that to happen. The only possible solution I can think of would be if you could get a friend to "loan" you use of their credit card, but you'd better trust that friend and they you pretty well for that one.

SilvorX
Feb 15, 2004, 11:09 PM
I don't see why legal downloads should face taxes, but theres a 7% gst added to all legal downloads for puretracks, so it's basically $1.06CDN for a song instead of the 99c they go on about, if provincial tax was added as well, yikes, it would just be a little too harsh, sure $1.12-$1.16 doesnt seem like much but most people prefer as cheap as possible