PDA

View Full Version : Is your glass half full or half empty?

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:14 PM
Again...an attempt to get into your heads even further...he he he ;)

Are u the type of person who's glass is half full or half empty?

As a child I was always taught to look at the bright side of things. Many times it's been really hard to see the good in situations, but at this point in my life I always see the silver lining...no matter how deep it's buried.

I'm wondering how u guys handle life's offerings...no matter how good or bad they seem...

hopefully this will spark some good conversations... :D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 11:17 PM
well being positive is something that i guess finds its roots for me with my religion/spirituality.... basically, everything happens for a reason it'll all work out in the end, in one way or another.

i've found that harping on things. worrying about them. is entirely useless energy being wasted. clearly, worrying, anxiety, can't be avoided. and isn't all that bad in small amounts. but getting too worried about small things does no good.

but being positive, spreading it if possible, can create much better results.

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 11:18 PM
Half full, definitely.

Unless it's one of those really big glasses...:p

menoinjun
Jun 5, 2002, 11:19 PM
that depends on what kind of beer it is and how drunk I am.

-Pete

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:19 PM
I'm an optimist, so definitely a half full person.

I always believe that no matter what the situation you can find something to laugh at.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
basically, everything happens for a reason it'll all work out in the end, in one way or another.

That's a major factor in my life...I completely believe in fate and that things happen as they are supposed to. Sometimes it's the only way I can give justification to something bad that happens, but soon after I'm referring to it as a blessing for having happened.

Oddly enough, spirituality hasn't played a role for me in having a positive outlook though. I think I've unknowingly modeled myself like my dad, who's always finding something good in every situation he's encountered. It's funny how u have to try when u are younger, but the older u get...it becomes so easy to just do it... ;)

MacAztec
Jun 5, 2002, 11:38 PM
I am a half empty kind of guy. But once I realize the glass is half empty, I see that there is ATLEAST SOMETHING there.

So then it is KINDA like a half full thing...

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 12:38 AM
It's only half empty/full if I let it get that way... as for life experiences, as long as you learn from them, it's all good.

I'm more of a 'is the magazine half full or half empty' type person :D as some of you already know. If it's half empty, then I hope I have a spare, cause a whole lotta lead is still gonna be flying. If it's half full, then I am the last man standing, and it's all good (again). :D Being as good as I am, it's more often half full... lol

Beej
Jun 6, 2002, 02:13 AM
This one's easy... it's half full if you're filling it, it's half empty when you're emptying it. It's half way to whichever direction it is going!

Wildcat
Jun 6, 2002, 02:29 AM
I must admit that I am a pessimist. So most of the time the glass is half empty.

Ensign Paris
Jun 6, 2002, 02:46 AM
Full for me, until my macs died now it is empty.

:(
Ensign

mac15
Jun 6, 2002, 02:47 AM
weird post
but I'd have to say I haven't even been filled yet ;)

SlowX
Jun 6, 2002, 06:13 AM
Hmmmm....
As I sit here typing, I feel like my glass is even less than half full. But then again, when recently drunk and stoopid and talking to a girl who told me of how she didn't believe in love anymore, I found myself defending its very existnce, and full of hope.

So I guess I'm an optimist in denial, go figure.

Macmaniac
Jun 6, 2002, 06:46 AM
For me half full with a good day on macrumors.

britboy
Jun 6, 2002, 07:09 AM
In a wierd sort of way, mine's both. If things are good, and getting better, then my glass is half empty, because i know that it could be more full. If things are bad, and getting worse, then it's half full, because i know that it could be worse. Make sense? No, i didn't think it would :p

At the moment it's nowhere in particular. My mac's still working fine, but my mouse just died on me. Last night it was working just fine, this morning it's dead. I have no idea what's happened :mad:

Backtothemac
Jun 6, 2002, 08:19 AM
Oh man, half full. Why walk through life kicking dirt when you can watch the sky. I have never been the type to sit around and complain about something that I cannot change. I accept where I am in life, and the things bad, or good, that happen in it. Life is a huge curve ball, you just have to watch it to the plate.

Classic
Jun 6, 2002, 08:35 AM
For the optimist, it's half full.
For the pessimist, it's half empty.
For the engineer, the glass is twice as large as it should or needs to be. :)

Not being an engineer, I'm definately a half full kind of person.

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 6, 2002, 08:45 AM
I guess that means my extra large glass is half full.....hahaha

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ThinkpadsRule
I guess that means my extra large glass is half full.....

You being an engineer explains a lot... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 08:56 AM
tpad,

I read your profile, what are you doing as a nuclear engineer?

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 08:58 AM
well I've been at work for an hour now...

and my coffee mug isn only half full...he he he ;)

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
well I've been at work for an hour now...

and my coffee mug isn only half full...he he he ;)

I just filled my mug up... now to go grab a light näsh for b-fast... :D

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by SlowX
Hmmmm....
As I sit here typing, I feel like my glass is even less than half full. But then again, when recently drunk and stoopid and talking to a girl who told me of how she didn't believe in love anymore, I found myself defending its very existnce, and full of hope.

So I guess I'm an optimist in denial, go figure.

first off...welcome to macrumors! :D

now, I would say defending something like the existence of love in the world is a positive step to turn someone's anguish around...

but being drunk might add a little redundancy to it...he he he...;)

Geert
Jun 6, 2002, 09:28 AM
definitely half full.
I never been able to drink more than half:D

jefhatfield
Jun 6, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by britboy
In a wierd sort of way, mine's both. If things are good, and getting better, then my glass is half empty, because i know that it could be more full. If things are bad, and getting worse, then it's half full, because i know that it could be worse. Make sense? No, i didn't think it would :p

exactly the way i feel

right now, things are half empty because i just successfully finished the first leg in cisco academy

but that means i have three legs left to go, and then the famous, dreaded cisco certification test

when either ms or cisco takes a major financial hit, then i feel the glass is half full because i wasn't laid off or owned bookoo stock in either company

ThinkpadsRule
Jun 6, 2002, 01:35 PM
I deal mostly with nuclear reactors. It's dangerous but someone has to do it.

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

exactly the way i feel

right now, things are half empty because i just successfully finished the first leg in cisco academy

just do it with a smile jef...give us aspirations to follow :D

mr.w
Jun 12, 2002, 12:04 AM
well i personally think it's all the same... but here's something to ponder

the optimist proclames that we live in the best of all possible worlds, while the pessimist fears this is true

Royal Pineapple
Jun 12, 2002, 11:09 PM
my glass is just the wrong size, if it was smaller it would be 3/4 full, if it were biger it'd be 1/4 full. so i guess it is just incorectly porportioned.

Hemingray
Jun 13, 2002, 12:32 AM
...there is no glass... :D

Grokgod
Jun 13, 2002, 12:47 AM
My glass has been crushed neath the heel of blind oppression brought upon it by tattered misguided children in fits of fear as they run from imaginary beasts with names too ugly to repeat. The water beads on the concrete, pools into patterns of joyful spheres. The sun licks at the waters edges and slowly the days end draws near. A twinkle of light glistens off the water as the concrete rakes open the spheres bellies and the splash soothes the pavement. Till the next day, begins.