Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I would like to know if there is a way to read and write files between the os x hard drive partition and the vista one, in os x. I think i found a program to read while in vista.

I tried tutorial but could not get it to work. I have macfuse and the ntfs program too.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
probably just a user error. what went wrong? did you partition using Boot Camp Assistant, and then reboot using the CD/DVD? You're only supposed to partition the BOOTCAMP one, nothing else. What exactly did you do step-by-step?

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
first i used bootcamp, then it goes on to say instal now or something when i put in the xp disc. Next, it restarts with the xp disk in the notebook, goes into the standard xp setup stuff. first time i tried, i told it to install on the bootcamp partition. and i got a boot error once all the files had been transferred.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm unclear on what exactly you're doing. I'd assume though that for sure with XP, and probably with Vista, you'd need to install chipset drivers during setup, as that Nvidia chipset (err...chip...) is so new.

dancormier

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2006
I had the same problem. I restored the volume back to just the OSX partition and created the boot camp partition again. When the Windows installer started I formatted (not quick format) the bootcamp partition as NTFS and everything went smoothly. Hope this helps.

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
i did get it to work on a 31 gig partition, however there where only drivers for bluetooth, and audio. none for wireless, ethernet, chipset as said above, none for video card, and it seems that a lot of different drivers are installed for no reason. I even used the new bootcamp (2.1) drivers and still only got one or two things to even say they were installed let alone working. I think i know how to install windows using bootcamp now, but i need a link for the individual drivers.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You have to:

1) Partition HDD with Boot Camp Assistant. Insert XP CD.
2) Boot from the XP CD.
3) Format the partition BOOTCAMP (and only that)to NTFS.
4) Wait for setup/copying of files to finish.
5) Reboot, but this time hold the option key and boot from the icon that has "Windows" underneath it. Not the CD/DVD.
6) Install drivers. Maybe uninstall and reinstall of the drivers? You can also poke around the internet for drivers from the associated company's site.

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
You have to:

2) Boot from the XP CD.
5) Reboot, but this time hold the option key and boot from the icon that has "Windows" underneath it. Not the CD/DVD.
6) Install drivers. Maybe uninstall and reinstall of the drivers? You can also poke around the internet for drivers from the associated company's site.

now everytime i try to instal windows it works, but drivers i am still having trouble with.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
now everytime i try to instal windows it works, but drivers i am still having trouble with.

As I remember (and if this is still the same way they do it), Apple allows you to burn a CD with the drivers on it. When you use this CD, do the drivers fail to install?

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
As I remember (and if this is still the same way they do it), Apple allows you to burn a CD with the drivers on it. When you use this CD, do the drivers fail to install?

apple gave me drivers with the macbook on the intsal disk, however these did not work, and neither did the updates. i think that it is because there havent been updates for the drivers after the new late 08 macbooks came out. I am going to the apple store today.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
That driver CD worked great for me under Windows XP SP2 with an Intel chipset. The only thing I did was uninstall the video drivers and install the newest ones from Nvidia.com

I don't know however how well the chipset drivers work for the new Macbook/Pro with an Nvidia chipset (and don't know for that matter whether Nvidia has newer chipset drivers on their site).

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
apple gave me drivers with the macbook on the intsal disk, however these did not work, and neither did the updates. i think that it is because there havent been updates for the drivers after the new late 08 macbooks came out. I am going to the apple store today.

That CD is for OS X. You have to burn a CD from OS X using their Bootcamp tool. Then you reboot to Windows, stick the CD in, and let it install all it's drivers. Worked amazingly well when I tried it last year (but that was on an Intel Macbook Pro).

servognome

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
I was able to install Windows XP SP2 following these steps

2) Boot from the XP CD.

That CD is for OS X. You have to burn a CD from OS X using their Bootcamp tool. Then you reboot to Windows, stick the CD in, and let it install all it's drivers. Worked amazingly well when I tried it last year (but that was on an Intel Macbook Pro).
As somebody else mentioned with the newest Macbooks, when you insert the OSX system CD under windows it has the driver install application and drivers on there.

Of course the nice thing about owning a Mac is there's always the Genius Bar if you have problems :)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Oh that's cool, didn't know that. You might still want to burn them in case the drivers are newer though.

But how well does Windows run on these new Nvidia systems? I was leaning towards a MBP until I heard tons of horror stories (and I'd plan on mostly using Windows, so...)

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
i got everythign working with vista ultimate x64. o well. but now i need to know how to read and write files in os x? i will edit the first post too.

Mixu

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
On new MB Pros, Vista Home Premium 64-bit works, after some tweaking

In my experience, the bootcamp driver support for latest MBPs is a bit lacking. I installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit version (well, 64-bit drivers were generally harder to find, but not that hard anymore, IMHO) on late 2008 MBP, and had to make some tweaks.

1. For some reason, when I installed Bootcamp drivers (yes, they are located on OS X Leopard DVD which comes with the laptop) I had problems with NVIDIA driver that was included. When I booted, I managed to log in, but when desktop was loading, it crashed. When I disabled video drivers, I managed to use computer. To solve the problem, I uninstalled the video drivers that bootcamp installed, and installed NVIDIA drivers from here. It's quite old, but performance is good enough for me and it seems to be quite stable. I've logged now over 80 hours of 3D games (Fallout 3, Source (Half-Life 2 etc.) games, BF2 + mods) and I had during 40 hours of Fallout 3 only 2 hard crashes. Some people have used 178.2x versions, but seems that 13 is by far most stable.

2. Bootcamp 2.1 update enabled Realtek HD audio, BUT at the same time broke it! No sound, and optical output was on all the time. Solution was to go Device Manager and select Realtek High Definition Audio device properties, and form Driver tab select Update driver and (believe or not) Search automatically for updated driver software. It actually finds more recent driver that works perfectly. Good sound quality.

3. Except that it didn't work that good. Clicks and stuttering even when playing only music, and worse in 3D games... luckily, I found solution from here MacRumors forum. It seems that Broadcom WLAN driver and Realtek HD audiodriver don't work so well together... well, reason might be also how Vista networking was redesinged from XP. Solution is very simple. Go to Device Manager, select Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter properties and from Advanced tab select Disable bands and set it to Disable 802.11a. This shouldn't be a problem, if you aren't using a very old basestation that doesn't support 802.11b/g or n. If you need 802.11a protocol, disable 802.11n instead.

4. Oh, and 2.1 update sucks... Now I can't use special functionkeys. Annoying, but for time being, I manage. Still waiting for solution, haven't tried Input Remapper, since it hasn't been updated in ages (almost a year since last update) and people say that it might not work with latest MB models. Feel free to experiment, if you wish.

Edit: Found instructions to fix Apple function keys, see this. (Remove "C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\Kbdmgr.exe" and use Programs and Features (was Add/Remove Programs in XP), find "Bootcamp services" and choose repair and reboot. Everything works, yay!)

NOTE: Repairing Boot Camp services will install non-working (at least in late 2008 MBPs) sound drivers AGAIN! So just repeat update of sound drivers. (See point 2)

If for some reason Fn + Backspace (Delete) or Fn + Up, Down, Left, Right arrow doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling Apple keyboard driver using device manager and "remove driver" and after that "Scan for hardware changes" It shoud reinstall the driver and then those key combinations shoud work as expected.

5. Trackpad issues. Most issues are because of bad documentation from Apple and Microsoft. Trackpad works just fine, you can even enable "Click to tap". (Use bootcamp program, you can find it from control panel, after you install bootcamp drivers to windows). Now, this is what I have found out:

One finger = Left click (you can change this form control panel mouse settings, if you want)

Now this is the tricky part!

Two fingers click = secondary click, if you have enabled it from control panel -> boot camp. Secondary click = double click. Quite handy, I have it enabled.

And you can scroll with 2 finger swipe. It's fast, but usable, sorry, I haven't found yet a way to chage scrolling speed.

Three fingers = Right click!!!

Now, the 2 things above had me really confused, but then I learned, and now I really like that 2 fingers = secondary click. IMHO, they could've assing it to 3 fingers and leave 2 fingers for "Right click", as thats what people have been used to!

Edit: Some unlucky people are really struggling with trackpad issues and Apple really should fix this driver ASAP. But there are ways to tweak your trackpad experience to better direction.

So, not walk in the park, but now I am quite happy. If only 2.1 update would work better... (I want working Function buttons!!!)

--
MBP late 2008 model 2,4 GHz 2 GB RAM, 256 MB VRAM

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
i got 64 bit working how i want it to. now just need to wait for the next os x, windows 7, and for the economy to go up so i can get more ram and a bigger hard drive for my macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.