Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
So I just got some new cases for my iPhone 3G. One silver texalium (aluminum coated glass fiber) and one carbon fiber both from dro concepts.

*They came in very minimalist packaging (from their website, Im guessing for environmental reasons)
*Each one came with one screen protector and one embossed cloth wipe.
*The cases themselves are truly gorgeous to look at. They have an absolutely stunning finish (they look better in real life than on the website pictures)
*Both cases fit very well, the carbon fiber case seems to fit more snug than the silver one. I believe this is because carbon fiber is a stiffer material than texalium.
*The cases have been banging around in my pockets (as that is where I keep my phone) The "toughen coating" seems to hold up exceptionally well against my keys and pocket change.

I have used the cases switching them on and off for the past few days and I am very happy with them.

The only issue I have had is a small slit opening up on the leading edge where the cases are adhered together. It is only visible when installing or removing the carbon case, and I can't really see it at all on the silver case. (I spoke with a very friendly young lady name Mary at dro concepts and she sent me some information about the design, evidently the "gap" is built into the design and allows the "super stiff" carbon to "give enough to properly accommodate" the iPhone 3G.) The issue seems to have no effect on the cases function, I was just overzealous it seems.

I will post another update in a week or two after I have played around with these new cases further.

I give them two thumbs up.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
So I just got some new cases for my iPhone 3G. One silver texalium (aluminum coated glass fiber) and one carbon fiber both from dro concepts.

*They came in very minimalist packaging (from their website, Im guessing for environmental reasons)
*Each one came with one screen protector and one embossed cloth wipe.
*The cases themselves are truly gorgeous to look at. They have an absolutely stunning finish (they look better in real life than on the website pictures)
*Both cases fit very well, the carbon fiber case seems to fit more snug than the silver one. I believe this is because carbon fiber is a stiffer material than texalium.
*The cases have been banging around in my pockets (as that is where I keep my phone) The "toughen coating" seems to hold up exceptionally well against my keys and pocket change.

I have used the cases switching them on and off for the past few days and I am very happy with them.

The only issue I have had is a small slit opening up on the leading edge where the cases are adhered together. It is only visible when installing or removing the carbon case, and I can't really see it at all on the silver case. (I spoke with a very friendly young lady name Mary at dro concepts and she sent me some information about the design, evidently the "gap" is built into the design and allows the "super stiff" carbon to "give enough to properly accommodate" the iPhone 3G.) The issue seems to have no effect on the cases function, I was just overzealous it seems.

I will post another update in a week or two after I have played around with these new cases further.

I give them two thumbs up.

Wow one post too... how funny

Geeh I wonder if this guy works them -______-,

Hey since you probably work for them, telll them that i woud actually buy one of their cases, if they didnt include that hideous rear opening

ahcl20

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Wow one post too... how funny

Geeh I wonder if this guy works them -______-,

Hey since you probably work for them, telll them that i woud actually buy one of their cases, if they didnt include that hideous rear opening

I think that review was good and the reviewer tried to be unbiased. He did say he will make further comments later so if you want to take a message away, it will probably be "initial impressions good but need to wait for final verdict".

Honestly I don't think the guy works for DRO.

You need to take some diazepam. ;)

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
you don't think its a bit fishy that his first and only post is to have a review of a product :rolleyes:

masi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
more

Sorry Dr. C, I do not work for dro and I don't know what "-_____-" means either? Anyway.

I tried to take some pictures but all I have is my iPhone right now so they are not very clrea. Sometime over the next week or two I will borrow a friends and post them when I do a follow up.

I just found the belchco.com and flackjacket.com cases which also claim to be real carbon. Does anyone know how these compare?

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Fair enough

I use to work for a Viral Marketing company back when I was a computer technician, so trust me I've seen this before

I apologize for the rude accusations then, Sorry about that

Welcome to the boards :)

ajwchin

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Raleigh
I think that review was good and the reviewer tried to be unbiased. He did say he will make further comments later so if you want to take a message away, it will probably be "initial impressions good but need to wait for final verdict".

Honestly I don't think the guy works for DRO.

You need to take some diazepam. ;)

I agree it was unbiased, he listed a negative aspect of the product as well

Nothing wrong with it being his only post

ahcl20

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
The only problem I can foresee with this case (without actually using it) is that dust may be prone to gather at the top of the case where the phone is not covered?

And of course the same theory applies to the back where the logo is exposed...

ACKRITE

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
West Hartford, CT
Masi,

Any more info on these cases from a first-person perspective?! Also, do you know for a fact, as I can only surmise at this point, if this DRO Concepts is related to (read: the current incarnation of) that Belchco.com that was one of the first sites on the web to come out with true carbon fiber iPhone cases? I ask as I notice the CEO of DRO Concepts has the last name Belcher, and DRO's cases for the Original iPhone look uncannily close to the old BELCHco.com cases.

Anyways, just wondering if you could provide some more feedback.

Thanks!

ACKRITE

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
West Hartford, CT
Looks like every other $5 ebay case, but $80 more.

I disagree whole heartedly. These are real carbon fiber, not plastic made with a "carbon fiber-like" pattern. One will crack with little provacation, the other will not. But thanks for your considered input.

masi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Hi Ackrite,
I am still nice and happy with the case. I get compliments on it which seems weird... I guess the case itself is an accessory for me not just the phone. I am still in awe of the glossy finish, which is my favorite part about the case and it hasn't scratched at all.

I swear I'll get a hold of a camera sometime soon and post a few pics.

$85 dollars is more than most cases, unless you look at the element liquid or guilty couture which range into the $200 range. But carbon fiber is an expensive material that is why its only used in crazy F1 cars or the spaceship. I would guess this case cost quite a bit more to make than a normal plastic case.

I hope Dro continues to make new designs and release new products, they seems to have a good starting point.

I do not know about the whole CEO and Belchco thing. I did see on belchco.com that DRO seems to have bought up some of belchco's design rights? or patents or something. I would shoot belchco an email or dro maybe for that matter.

Hi ahcl20,
lint from my pocket does seem to accumulate there from time to time, nothing serious but I can't speak for how dirty your pockets are ;) I tend to remove my cases each weekend and will with this case also because this case doesn't fit into the apple 3G sync cradle. It does plug in just fine though to the usb cable. It would be nice if dro would include a universal adapter for the cradle like other companies(iHome or switcheasy).

ACKRITE

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
West Hartford, CT
Hi Ackrite,
I am still nice and happy with the case. I get compliments on it which seems weird... I guess the case itself is an accessory for me not just the phone. I am still in awe of the glossy finish, which is my favorite part about the case and it hasn't scratched at all.

I swear I'll get a hold of a camera sometime soon and post a few pics.

$85 dollars is more than most cases, unless you look at the element liquid or guilty couture which range into the $200 range. But carbon fiber is an expensive material that is why its only used in crazy F1 cars or the spaceship. I would guess this case cost quite a bit more to make than a normal plastic case.

I hope Dro continues to make new designs and release new products, they seems to have a good starting point.

I do not know about the whole CEO and Belchco thing. I did see on belchco.com that DRO seems to have bought up some of belchco's design rights? or patents or something. I would shoot belchco an email or dro maybe for that matter.

Masi,

Thanks for the update and I hope to see those pics soon! I'm well aware of of the cost of carbon fiber (I have it in my car <pinky by corner of mouth gesture>, though it's no F1 car by any means). It's also going to be a much harder substance to work with, mill, etc than is plastic.

After someone finally posted pictures of the only other CF case option I've seen so far (the "iFlakjacket"), I think the DRO option seems to be the way to go. I like the fact that DRO finishes the raw CF with a clear coat, as well as the neoprene lining.

Let us know how it wears into the future. Also, what was the time from pressing "buy" on their site to getting your mitts on the case itself?

Thanks again.

masi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
pictures tomorrow or tonight

Sorry for the delay ladies and gents.

I have finally got my hands on a nice digital camera and will post some pictures by the end of the weekend.

This case is certainly one of my favorites. I am very surprised at how well the finish on both cases are holding up. It is very scratch resistance and still looks new.

Overall right now I prefer the carbon fiber color. The silver is more feminine in my opinion and such have gifted it to my fiance.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
They look like just another stupid case in a sea of stupid cases that leave the top of the iPhone exposed.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I disagree whole heartedly. These are real carbon fiber, not plastic made with a "carbon fiber-like" pattern. One will crack with little provacation, the other will not. But thanks for your considered input.

I'm sure the material is fine. I was speaking in terms of design. There are 500 cases out with the exact same look. To command that kind of money in the case industry, you have to do something special, like Vaja.

masi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
pics, only one week late. lol

here are the pics I finally got attached. I have been busy with Christmas and Im no photographer.

Im not sure what you mean by the vaja design, I have an vaja ivolution also and the dro cf case is just like the ivolution design. It is a nice simple design if you ask me. I keep my phone in my pocket though. If I kept it in a bag or something I would probably want a case that covers the top of the iPhone more.

Anyone on this thread have a incase powerslider? I really like that idea, but from the blog coverage it has received it sounds like it is really bulky. Any input?

Attachments

• PC180332.JPG
    PC180332.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 107
  • PC180328.JPG
    PC180328.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 107
  • PC180330.JPG
    PC180330.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 110

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Belchco is no more in iPhone cases, don't know the legal business relationship, but Belchco refers you to DRO if you enquire about a case.

They are real carbon fiber, texalium. All you have to do is read it's pretty clear.

From DRO website
Our carbon fiber iPhone 3G cases are availible now in real carbon fiber or true silver texalium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.