Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkyMonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Right behind you
I just saw this when I was searching. Not sure what they do?

EDIT: Whoops forgot the picture.
picture2mv2.png

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I've been getting those too lately. They come up on every search. You can promote or demote search results but I'm unsure if they are only for your own personal searches or those changes are reflected for others, say, if everyone is promoting the third result up to the top.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Been getting them for the last couple days. Obviously, you can use them promote or remove a search result.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
It's a good feature I guess but too bad you have to be logged in.

Well, you have to be logged in so that Google can customize it for you, rather than the computer. I know people would get mad if someone customized a public computer that would sort out potential results for others. ;)

FunkyMonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Right behind you
Well, you have to be logged in so that Google can customize it for you, rather than the computer. I know people would get mad if someone customized a public computer that would sort out potential results for others. ;)

Ya I see your point but Google could have put in a button to reset all of the changes made.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I've been seeing that around on my searches lately... but I haven't gotten around to using the feature yet. Seems pretty cool though. :)

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Are you sure it's not browser based? I see them in Safari and Flock, but not Camino, and I'm not logged in to my Google account. I've been noticing them at work, too, using I-yuck-E.

Not sure how useful they are, though.

mt

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Are you sure it's not browser based? I see them in Safari and Flock, but not Camino, and I'm not logged in to my Google account. I've been noticing them at work, too, using I-yuck-E.

Not sure how useful they are, though.

mt

I use Opera and have this new feature, just downloaded and checked Camino and it is there (see attached screenshot below). Log in to the google account, for me it only appears when I am logged in.

Anyone noticed the poof when removing an item, wonder where they might have thought of that idea.

Removed results appear at the bottom of the page and you have the option to unhide the results.

Here is the page with more information about this feature. Can even add comments if you so wish

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 46

gimmeagoodname

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
Hmm, if that's the function of those things, I'd like to use them.

Btw, I'm logged into my Google account already but I don't see them..

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I've got them too.. I believe you have to be logged in to use them.

I haven't played with it too much yet.. I rarely search for the same thing multiple times.

Zack

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
makes you wondering were things are going from an
SEO standpoint.

For example, what is a high ranking page such as Wikipedia gets removed to many times by users for a specific search term? what is a low ranking page gets promoted by alot of users?

are they going to ignore this and go with their current algorithm or add this into it?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
makes you wondering were things are going from an
SEO standpoint.

For example, what is a high ranking page such as Wikipedia gets removed to many times by users for a specific search term? what is a low ranking page gets promoted by alot of users?

are they going to ignore this and go with their current algorithm or add this into it?

This will have no effect on SEO. You promote or remove links based on your current search only.

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
This will have no effect on SEO. You promote or remove links based on your current search only.

Google is defiantly tracking what people are excluding though...
Im talking about big keyterms though.. for example "Car insurance" if google tracks that the 2nd result has been removed 90% of the time and the 3rd result has been "voted for" 90% of the time out of say 200,000 searches, its hard to think google may not at least take a look at data like this and may consider changing something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.