Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Hi guys,

So I have a problem with my iBook. First, a brief histrory on it. I bought brand new in the summer of 2004. It's a 14" 1.2 Ghz G4 with 512 MB (it came with 256 MB built into the motherboard and one available slot to upgrade, so I got another 256, making it 512).

Runs like a dream until a few months ago. The harddrive crashes. I get a new one from OWC and I thought, since memory is dirt cheap, I'll max out the memory. So I got a gig stick and put it in.

But now, it seems like everything runs a little slower. Streaming video in youtube is slightly choppy at best. Safari has delays when hitting the back button.

Granted, I know my computer is old and I need a new one. I'm waiting on a quad core imac (read: waiting until I can afford it). But I know it didn't run this slow before. Could this have something to do with the memory not being paired? Before the crash, it was paired (256 Built on + 256 added) and now it's not (256 built in + 1 gig added).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.