Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
I bought an HF11 (identical to HF10). I have zero experience with video.
I managed to get my movie (a concert) into iMovie. Playback looks blurry compared to what's in the camera. Shot in Cinema mode, 24mbps, 1080i.

I'm not sure why playback in iMovie looks so bad. Or Quicktime for that matter. But....

Am I understanding correctly that in order to share this video, I either:
1. Plug the camera into an HDTV.
2. Burn to DVD in ONLY SD (or quality on the level of a VHS tape)
3. Buy software to burn it into a Blue-ray burner to make BR dvd's to play on players that no one I know has.
4. Dump to youtube in bad quality.

Do I have this right? I can't share my videos in any semblance of quality besides SD or horrible quality - Unless the cam is directly plugged into their TV?

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
I bought an HF11 (identical to HF10). I have zero experience with video.
I managed to get my movie (a concert) into iMovie. Playback looks blurry compared to what's in the camera. Shot in Cinema mode, 24mbps, 1080i.

I'm not sure why playback in iMovie looks so bad. Or Quicktime for that matter. But....

1. Plug the camera into an HDTV.
2. Burn to DVD in ONLY SD (or quality on the level of a VHS tape)
3. Buy software to burn it into a Blue-ray burner to make BR dvd's to play on players that no one I know has.
4. Dump to youtube in bad quality.

Do I have this right? I can't share my videos in any semblance of quality besides SD or horrible quality - Unless the cam is directly plugged into their TV?

Vimeo.com allows HD uploads but its only 720p(1280x720) and you have to compress the crap out of your video so you meet their bandwidth requirements.

Also I'm pretty sure iMovie only supports large size quick time movies not full (1920x1080). So the only way to get your full 1080 resolution, you have to get a different editing suite i.e FCE 4, FCP, etc.

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Meagain,

You are about right with your 4 options. :(

Till date the possibility to share your HD result with the masses is limited.
"Yes you can" capture HD and edit HD into a full HD pre-distribution format on your Mac.
This (MOV) file will be huge. It is payable though via QuickTime, so if you carry your Mac around with a DVI to HDMI cable you can plug it into any HD ready TV/ beamer.

If you have your own website you can export your movie to a 1920x1080 m4v file. Beware that the file most likely will be too big for most of your viewers due to bandwidth issues. Eg. :apple: MobileMe largest size is 960x540 ... still must larger than YouTube or Vimeo.

Regards,
Coen

meagain

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
I see. Thanks. I've been playing around with youtube and hope I can at least get something decent up there. In searching, everyone seems to have their own opinion as to what the max settings for the best Youtube can do. I guess I'll also open a Vimeo account.

About burning to a DVD.... I assume I can dumb down my video to 720p or so for burning? Would that work (once I figure out how)? 720 wouldn't be too too bad I think. Other than that, I guess I need to be patient and wait for the technology ramp up for this avchd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.