PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to turn on a powerbook without the power button

LemmycautioN
Nov 26, 2008, 03:59 AM
Does anyone know if there's anyway to turn on an aluminum powerbook without the power button? I mean is there any keystroke combination that can turn a powerbook on? :confused:

Cousin Dirk
Nov 26, 2008, 05:22 AM
What exactly is wrong with your PowerBook's power button? It is just not working, physically broken, missing entirely?

Offhand, I'm not aware of any other button combinations to cause a machine to boot up, but there my be some other roundabout ways of doing it.

JG271
Nov 26, 2008, 05:24 AM
Only way I can think of is buying an old apple keyboard with a built in power button and seeing if that works. Strange request though...

alphaod
Nov 26, 2008, 09:08 PM
Just short the power cables.

LemmycautioN
Nov 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
thanks for your help guys. I'm looking into the keyboard with the power button, hopefully that will do the trick. The reason I'm asking is because I'm building a desktop mac out of my last 3 powerbooks - all of which are broken. I'm using the logic board from a 15" powerbook 1.67 and the only way the power button connects to it is through the whole top piece (keyboard and all). I can't just take the power button off and plug it into the logic board because the connection to the logic board connects EVERYTHING in the top, not just the button. I may be able to do it with scissors and tape, but I could end up messing the top part up. :o

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 26, 2008, 09:40 PM
Just cut the 2 wires to the switch and wire up a new one to it. That way you can extend the power button to where you will need it.