Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret updates with a number of small blurbs... the most interesting of which involves some information of PowerMac G5 updates.

According to the rumor site, while Apple has received PowerPC 970FX chips from IBM for "a number of weeks", PowerMac G5 upgrades are not expected during the month of February.

Steve Jobs had last announced that PowerMac G5s would reach 3GHz "before the end of next summer [2004]".

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Yikes!

Stand by for massive flaming of our favorite computer co.!

"I NEED a new PowerMac NOW WTF" etc etc....

Hey, what's another couple of weeks?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
They'll be due in early March will they not?? 6 months is usually a good guide for an update, and since the G5 didn't actually start shipping till early Sept, March is around the update window...

It just seems like a long time since they were updated as they were initially announced in June, but they didn't actually ship till months later.

I personally was hoping that we'd see more frequents updates, every 3-4 months, but then you'd get the folks winjin' about only having the 'best' machine for 3 months etc etc :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Still think March will be the time. History shows thats when those new products are shipping so nothing new except not announcing it.
What i find interesting was the article of Europe's Mac publications being as light as a feather. Our own magazines are getting pretty light. this is a direct reflection of Marketshare. Face it for every 100 computers sold maybe 3 are Macs. How long will it take for Apple to get back into the consumer computer market?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Fine by me, I'm waiting for iBook and PowerBook updates. I wonder if ThinkSecret's crystal ball has any info on that?

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
a 2.5GHz update in early march and then the 3GHz update in early september seems reasonable enough, and fits the 6 month product life-cycle and steve's proclamation.

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
Money saving scheme...

As long as they are @ 3Ghz on time (especially since Steve NEVER PROMISED incremental updates in between!) I'm okay.

fussball

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
They would need more updates than just a processor bump, right? Maybe apple is still waiting on other technologies for the G5...

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I doubting more and more that they're going to live up to their promise of 3GHz, but what do i know... they could pull one out of their sleeves. Good luck...

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
hm yeah i think too that this 3ghz promise is more important than small speed increases now
having dual 3ghz powermacs available would make intel look bad even if they are at 4ghz (which i don't think that is possible so fast)
i think with the realese of the 3ghz g5 they will use their media presence for speed bumps on their consumers modells like imac,emac,etc
like a 'whole' upgrade 'at once'

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
"How long will it take for Apple to get back into the consumer computer market?"

When they release fairly priced computers on a frequent & regular schedule.. :rolleyes:

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by takao
hm yeah i think too that this 3ghz promise is more important than small speed increases now
having dual 3ghz powermacs available would make intel look bad even if they are at 4ghz (which i don't think that is possible so fast)
i think with the realese of the 3ghz g5 they will use their media presence for speed bumps on their consumers modells like imac,emac,etc
like a 'whole' upgrade 'at once'

So until then we sit around with our thumbs up our butts and a powerbook setting our lap on fire.. fun. :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by neonart
I say that they are announced tommorow with shipping in March. Or I will eat my left elbow.

you want some hot sauce for you elbow....:D :p

I can't believe its taking so long, and I'm with iGav that I was hoping to see more frequent updates.....

Time to dig out one of my first 'tars I made back in 2002.....

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
damn, here's the file

Attachments

• smtg5a.gif
    smtg5a.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 9,591

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I say we'll see them by the end of the month. It's great time for an update considering we'll get another in August.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I was thinking about this the other day, and this seems to fit in this topic. Perhaps Apple has learned from past mistakes. Last year, new PowerMac G4's (the dual 1.42) were announced in January, but didn't ship until mid-March. I assume resulted in a downward pressure on demand of the PowerMacs then in stock. Same with PowerBooks, early annoncement and delayed shipping (for the 17-inch, plus the interminable wait for alu 15 inch). More dramatically, when the G5's were announced, several months passed before they were available, during which time I am sure that G4 PowerMac's sold about as well as used underwear.

So has Apple learned from this? Maybe they decided that they could announce PowerMac updates in January and ship in March (and reduce sales of existing machines), or just wait and announce in March when they are ready to roll.

Just a thought.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
is it possible that they announce a new powermac g5, imac g5, powerbook g5 all at once? the year of the g5!

or what are they doing with those imacs? 1.25 ghz g4 looks kind of "not that much mhz" :)

long lives the mhz-myth ...
.a

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Foxer
So has Apple learned from this? Maybe they decided that they could announce PowerMac updates in January and ship in March (and reduce sales of existing machines), or just wait and announce in March when they are ready to roll.

If that is the case, then good for them... announcing new machines months before they're ready isn't good marketing :D

But I also think its to focus on the iPod, mini iPod, ITMS and iTunes. That was the big push in January, February - why muddy the waters with another push for new hardware.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.