PDA

View Full Version : Glyph or LaCie

field pi
Nov 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some quick opinions from audio people because I want to make a purchase today. Here in NYC a store is starting their "Black Friday" deals early. Yeah I might hunt around on the internet and find other prices (Glyph $299 for instance), but I want to walk into a store today and buy.

There are two external drives there that look good to me, both with FW800/400 / USB 2.0 ports, both 7200 rpm, both 16MB cache.

1) Glyph GT050q 500GB Quad Interface External Hard Drive. Normally $319, selling for $229 (I got this price by phone).
2) LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra External Hard Drive. Normally $249, selling for $199.

With the Glyph at $229 and the LaCie at $199, I could consider the $30 negligible if the Glyph were the better.

The Glyph is $90 off its usual price, $70 off if you go by online prices. That's huge percentage-wise. The LaCie drops $50 bucks, which is less but not shabby. Shabbier though if you consider some onliners selling for $225.

But the Glyph has half the capacity of the LaCie. It may be a natural impulse to be space-greedy in these situations, but might the Glyph be a more preferable drive for sound apps, having Seagate SATA drive mechanism and all?

Even at the 1TB capacity, isn't it stinky that the LaCie is saddled with a 16MB cache, or is this mitigated by some other factor?

Neither is bus-powered, but I should mention that the LaCie has a wall wart adaptor. Glyph has a fan. I have a prev-gen Glyph, GT050 without the "q", and it always worked fine, quiet enough. Never owned or worked a LaCie.

Thoughts? Thank you all,
fp

field pi
Nov 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
update: site info may have been wrong, looks like LaCie has 32MB buffer.

Babybandit
Nov 28, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'd take LaCie anyday!

I have about 17 of them here, some RAID, some portable, some as rental'd Data Storage... Works great, none of them have ever failed!