Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charles ababa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
iSync versus p800

Now, I've been using my p800 for nearly a year and my G4 1.4Ghz DP (with Jaguar 10.2.8) a little less (tho I've been a Mac addict since 1994, and I know them well).

I've been happily syncing all CONTACTS and CALENDAR events between the two using a D-Link DBT-120 bluetooth adaptor (as recommended by apple) very happily until recently...

I opened a .vcf address book file sent from a known source. It opened automatically into apple's Address Book, and guess what - it was the only entry; I normally have around 200 entries, but they had just disappeared. No problem I thought, I'll just sync with iSync and recover all contact info...

1 week later, my Address Book is still blank, and I can't for the life of me get the addresses to sync from my phone to the mac. It still syncs the CALENDAR with no problems, but the contacts do nothing.

It will either:
finish the sync, looking as if it has done it's job, but leaving the Address Book empty, or;

it displays the following error message:
"[your phone] is low on memory. Please clear some memory on [your phone]." (or something similar)

Using Virtual PC and the Sony Ericsson PC Suite P800 Software that comes with the phone, I've reset the phone completely, added nothing but the contacts, and tried once more - the same thing happened. There is plenty of memory left on the internal disk.

I've tried using another mac (Panther this time with the latest iSync installed (v1.3) to do the sync - same problem.

WTF is going on here? any ideas?

a million thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
So the contacts are still on your phone? Any other backups (.Mac?)
I would browse your phone (->Bluetooth) and search for the contact files there, then copy them manually and try to import to AddressBook. Or delete all AB-prefs and try again, maybe after reinstalling iSync. I hope this helps :)

(btw, I'm using a Nokia 3650 and it works like a charm, if anyone cares)

charles ababa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
I can export the all contacts as a .vcf file from my phone and then they open fine in Address Book, but they still refuse to sync....

even after deleting all Address Book and Bluetooth preferences....

a major headache this, because it used to work fine.....

:mad: :mad:

PS - i don't use .Mac

charles ababa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
I updated to the new iSync, but still had a problem.

Ultimately I solved it by extracting all my contacts from phone by sending "all" folder to G4 via bluetooth. Then I reset the phone using

up * down down * down

and then synced via address book. A long way round, but the only solution I could find.

Now all syncing works fine again.

the real pain was having to relink my contact photos on phone, reinstall favourite apps, and change "main" phone numbers to "mobile" in address book, because they weren't exporting to the phone with that label.....

anyway all back to normal again.....
and I now back up my address book databse whenever there is a change!

fingers crossed that it's all fixed...
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.