Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studlybw

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
The new version of Handbrake, 0.9.3 writes chapter markers that are incompatible with the current version of MetaX. It will write the chapter markers but when MetaX tags the chapters you will lose the chapters all-together. I downgraded Handbrake back to 0.9.2 and all is working well again. I found the legacy version here:
http://www.brothersoft.com/handbrake-for-mac-68296.html

Hope this helps others to not have to re-encode multiple titles.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Not true, just uncheck the checkbox on the chapters tab in MetaX and it won't touch the chapters.

I've been using dvelopment builds of Handbrake and MetaX for quite awhile now (this has been an issue for quite awhile actually) -- the only thing we've lost is the ability to change chapters in MetaX.

I'm really hoping the MetaX dev releases a fix for it, but that project has been silent for a good 7-8 months now. :(

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
NightStorm is correct. There's really no reason to panic about this. You can enter chapter titles in Handbrake before you encode and they will be retained when you tag the file in MetaX as long as you leave the Chapters check box unselected. Entering the chapter titles in HB is more trouble, I admit, but there is a solution for the problem.

Regards,
Michael

catskinsox

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
I got an e-mail from the developer about a week or so ago. He says he's aware of the problem, and wants to fix it. He just has to find the time to get to it.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I got an e-mail from the developer about a week or so ago. He says he's aware of the problem, and wants to fix it. He just has to find the time to get to it.
... and such is the state of open source software ... its not the end of the world.

studlybw

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
More specific

Sorry, I should have been more specific. If you don't attempt to rewrite the chapter tags you're fine but if you want to title the chapters, as I'm sure many do, then it will erase the chapters all-together. Sorry for the confusion.

To rephrase: don't attempt to rewrite the chapter markets in MetaX because it will just erase them. Leave them at their default 1,2,3... naming from Handbrake, uncheck the chapter box and let it roll. The other option is to downgrade Handbrake and they will still be compatible

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Sorry, I should have been more specific. If you don't attempt to rewrite the chapter tags you're fine but if you want to title the chapters, as I'm sure many do, then it will erase the chapters all-together. Sorry for the confusion.

To rephrase: don't attempt to rewrite the chapter markets in MetaX because it will just erase them. Leave them at their default 1,2,3... naming from Handbrake, uncheck the chapter box and let it roll. The other option is to downgrade Handbrake and they will still be compatible
Or change the chapter names in handbrake before encoding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.