PDA

View Full Version : Halo

Geert
Jun 6, 2002, 10:14 AM
I know that there was a thread once which had a link to someone's iDisk if not mistaken with a halo movie on some heavy metal music.
I have been searching through the forums, but couldn't find it anymore, does somebody remember the link/thread...

topicolo
Jun 6, 2002, 10:40 AM
Speaking of halo, what happened to the pc and mac ports of it? did MS shaft us again and cancel both of them?

ericb88
Jun 6, 2002, 03:19 PM
I highly, highly doubt MS woudl allow there prized possesion to be realeased on anything that doesn't have an x or a box in it.

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 04:29 PM
Halo IS coming for the computers... just a matter of time before it is released. It SHOULD be out sometime before the end of this year.

I got that from a person that has connections... There are a lot of people that have been waiting to purchase Halo but refuse to spend the money to get a hexbox (I am one of them). Why should we go out and blow $200 on a console for a single game?? I'd rather play it on either of my computers, and not have to play it only when I am at home, or someplace where there is a hexbox. With laptops (especially the latest TiBook's) you can play games just about anywhere you want, and not be tied down.

topicolo
Jun 6, 2002, 04:36 PM
Sounds like M$ is trying squeeze halo to generate sales for the xbox for as long as possible before bringing it onto even his beloved windoze computer platforms. *sigh* By the time halo comes out for the rest of us, it'll seem as old as if Quake III was release this year.

arn
Jun 6, 2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Geert
I know that there was a thread once which had a link to someone's iDisk if not mistaken with a halo movie on some heavy metal music.
I have been searching through the forums, but couldn't find it anymore, does somebody remember the link/thread...

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/02/20020211044850.shtml

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
Sounds like M$ is trying squeeze halo to generate sales for the xbox for as long as possible before bringing it onto even his beloved windoze computer platforms. *sigh* By the time halo comes out for the rest of us, it'll seem as old as if Quake III was release this year.

The same person that gave me the skinny on Halo coming for the computer DID mention that a Mac version is still intended. I don't know if it will be released at the same time as the peecee version, but we can hope.

I fail to see m$'s logic in keeping Halo from everyone. I would imagine those money grubbers would want to saturate the market and get everyone to buy the game (Mac, peecee and hexbox alike).

I guess that's why they are an EVIL empire.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

I fail to see m$'s logic in keeping Halo from everyone. I would imagine those money grubbers would want to saturate the market and get everyone to buy the game (Mac, peecee and hexbox alike)..

Oh, I see it alright. Halo is one of the few reasons to buy an XBox, with sales in the toilet, we'd be lucky to see a PC or Mac version before Xmas. My guess is it will comeout next year sometime. One of the keys in seeing a double release, PC and Mac is the fact that Bungie is still involved to a degree in the production. I hope it happens.

LethalWolfe
Jun 6, 2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Oh, I see it alright. Halo is one of the few reasons to buy an XBox, with sales in the toilet, we'd be lucky to see a PC or Mac version before Xmas. My guess is it will comeout next year sometime. One of the keys in seeing a double release, PC and Mac is the fact that Bungie is still involved to a degree in the production. I hope it happens.

dukestreet hit the nail right on the head. Halo is the only killer app for the X-box (and in some cases is itself enough to get people to buy an X-box). I think Halo will come out for the PC about the same time Duke Nukem Forever hits the stores...

I have heard rumors that Halo for the PC is coming... it's just a question of when, but I won't believe it until I seem offical confirmation that it is still being developed for the PC.

Lethal

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 10:31 PM
Any guesses on how long before someone comes up with a hack that will allow you to play hexbox games at least on a peecee??? I would go for that, since I have a game (only) peecee here. I'm actually formatting the drive(s) right now on the RAID I will soon be booting from. RAID 0 with a pair of 160GB hard drives... yep, that's ~320GB total as a single drive (as far as the computer is concerned).

Durandal7
Jun 6, 2002, 11:47 PM
Any guesses on how long before someone comes up with a hack that will allow you to play hexbox games at least on a peecee???

I'd say September. CompSci students all across the country are probably making this their "summer project."

AlphaTech
Jun 6, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by asurace

I'd say September. CompSci students all across the country are probably making this their "summer project."

Sweet... I will be looking forward to that. I just hope we can get a hold of some copies of Halo before m$ plugs the holes the crackers open up.

Geert
Jun 7, 2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by arn

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/02/20020211044850.shtml

Thxs Arn, you're the best!

LethalWolfe
Jun 7, 2002, 01:26 AM
Any guesses on how long before someone comes up with a hack that will allow you to play hexbox games at least on a peecee??? I would go for that, since I have a game (only) peecee here. I'm actually formatting the drive(s) right now on the RAID I will soon be booting from. RAID 0 with a pair of 160GB hard drives... yep, that's ~320GB total as a single drive (as far as the computer is concerned).

I had RAID 0 setup on my PC until one of my drives suddenly died. I sold my RAID card and purchased a straight controller card shortly there after. Current IDE speeds are fast enough for me, and it's one less thing to go wrong. ;)

Lethal

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I had RAID 0 setup on my PC until one of my drives suddenly died. I sold my RAID card and purchased a straight controller card shortly there after. Current IDE speeds are fast enough for me, and it's one less thing to go wrong. ;)

Considering how I picked up a pair of ATA133 drives, I wanted them at full speed. The RAID card only cost $130 (with shipping and sales tax), so it wasn't bad at all. It will support up to four hard drives, in case I need more then the ~305GB (after formatting) worth of space at some point in the future.

With a game system, you want speed everywhere you can get it. The RAID card has two channels, at ATA133 each, which gets doubled when you use a drive on each (ATA133x2=ATA266) for Stripping (RAID 0).

From what I experienced last night, after formatting the drive for about two hours (damn you windblows) the RAID card does make a difference (I know, no brainer).

topicolo
Jun 7, 2002, 09:03 AM

Considering how I picked up a pair of ATA133 drives, I wanted them at full speed. The RAID card only cost $130 (with shipping and sales tax), so it wasn't bad at all. It will support up to four hard drives, in case I need more then the ~305GB (after formatting) worth of space at some point in the future.

With a game system, you want speed everywhere you can get it. The RAID card has two channels, at ATA133 each, which gets doubled when you use a drive on each (ATA133x2=ATA266) for Stripping (RAID 0).

From what I experienced last night, after formatting the drive for about two hours (damn you windblows) the RAID card does make a difference (I know, no brainer).

Wow, that's insane how just formatting that RAID array would chop off 15gigs. My Piece of Crap (PC) only HAS 26gigs of storage!

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by topicolo

Wow, that's insane how just formatting that RAID array would chop off 15gigs. My Piece of Crap (PC) only HAS 26gigs of storage!

Consider this... drive makers list the size as 1MB=1000KB (not the true 1024KB). Which means that a 160GB drive is really 156.25GB Doubled is 312.5GB, minus the bit that windblows uses for the formatting and such, you only loose ~3.75GB per drive. When you are talking about over 300GB, would you miss 7.5GB??? I won't. :D Apple's formatting does similar things to drive sizes, where you never see the advertised size, it's ALWAYS a little less. Depending on the drive size, is how much less you actually see.

I was not all that happy that it took so damned long to formatt, considering how fast the Mac does it (even on same size drives, the Mac utility is many times faster). At least it is done, and I hope to never have to do it again.

LethalWolfe
Jun 7, 2002, 12:47 PM

I'm familiar w/RAID. But for me it wasn't worth the risk. Of course, my PC at the time was for editing so I really got scared that I'd lose a project if a RAIDed HDD failed again (thankfuly I was in between projects when on of the HDDs went).

When I bought my G4 to be my editing workstation I went w/a straight contoller card and put one 80 gig HDD on each channel. For my needs the added speed of RAID 0 didn't out weigh the added risk.

Lethal

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I'm familiar w/RAID. But for me it wasn't worth the risk. Of course, my PC at the time was for editing so I really got scared that I'd lose a project if a RAIDed HDD failed again (thankfuly I was in between projects when on of the HDDs went).

When I bought my G4 to be my editing workstation I went w/a straight contoller card and put one 80 gig HDD on each channel. For my needs the added speed of RAID 0 didn't out weigh the added risk.

Well there is more then one type of RAID setup you know... from what you said, you might not know. For protection of data, use RAID 1 (mirroring) for the best of both speed and data protection use RAID 0+1, or you can splurge and go for RAID 5 (stipping with data protection/integrity with a spare drive). With RAID 1, and two drives, you have essentially one of the drives, with the data being 'mirrored' on the other one in case one fails. With 0+1, you get the performance of stripping, but data protection of mirroring (use four drives, see the size of two of them). RAID 0 is mostly used in servers where 0, 1 and 0+1 can easily be used in desktops. MOST of the cards I have seen (and pretty much all the newer ones) offer the 0, 1 and 0+1 options.

Something to think about there wolfie... :D

LethalWolfe
Jun 7, 2002, 01:23 PM
Now we're getting into another issue... money. :D If I could afford 0+1 I'd use it. I keep asking for more HDDs... but the HDD fairy hasn't left anything under my pillow yet. :( :p

Lethal

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 01:27 PM
Well, you COULD just get another 80GB drive and mirror it... I am pretty sure that there are Mac RAID cards that run right about $100 +/- a few $$. All you really need to do is get a drive identical to the one you have and set it up as mirrored. Most of the cards allow you to do that without loosing anything on your current drive.

Just imagine how much you would save with that kind of peace of mind... you wouldn't need to go to the shrink because you are worried about loosing a project you have spent xxx hours on. :D

j763
Jun 8, 2002, 03:00 AM
is there an M$ page about halo for mac or is it all rumored so far???

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by j763
is there an M$ page about halo for mac or is it all rumored so far???

this is the best I could do, its from the original creators of Halo and it looks like we *might* see it this year (Xmas) but who knows...

http://halo.bungie.org/faq/general.html#platforms

mr.w
Jun 11, 2002, 04:17 PM
Halo may be M$' prized posetion, but everyone that has an xbox already has Halo... M$ is really only about the ca$h money, and there is a market for Halo on both mac an pc platforms. tHat is whay i expect to see both versions out by 2003.