PDA

View Full Version : Dept. of Health: Don't drive behind flatbed chicken trucks

joepunk
Nov 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
Because of Chicken Bacteria (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081125/ap_on_he_me/med_chicken_bacteria)

Crates of chickens being trucked along the highway in the back of an open truck can shoot a bunch of nasty bacteria into the cars behind them, researchers have found.

Even so, it's not clear that germy debris will make you sick. None of the scientists who studied this problem got sick. And the disease-causing bacteria in question are normally spread by food or water, not air.

jmann
Nov 26, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'll keep that in mind the next time I am tailgating a truck full of chickens. :rolleyes:

Abstract
Nov 26, 2008, 08:28 PM
"And in today's news......we found nothing."

Scarlet Fever
Nov 26, 2008, 08:33 PM
Someone needs to tell the Dept. of Health that AIDS still exists.

Xfujinon
Nov 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well, the Dept. of Health has a pretty good idea about what infection control procedures it needs to advocate and bankroll insofar as AIDS is concerned.

The chicken truck thing, however, may constitute an emerging or previously unknown health risk, and as such they are investigating it as is their prerogative.

I don't mean to be snarky, but the Dept. of Health is really not going to make any major headway against AIDS until either a suitable vaccine candidate is found, or if regulatory/legal authorities empower the agencies to enact more novel approaches to containment or public awareness campaigns. Ethically, this is sticky business. We already know about as much as the Dept. of Health needs to know regarding transmission patterns and so forth with HIV and AIDS, the trouble is enforcing any of the known policies to an effective extent. HIV isn't really terribly complicated to control insofar as transmission is concerned, but it is those that slip through existing health guidelines (i.e. transplant recipients or blood product recipients) that constitute significant threats to the health departments. Most people don't need to worry about getting HIV and AIDS if they follow existing health department guidelines, at least in the United States and in most of Europe.

We should all REALLY be focusing our attentions on biotech companies and the current state of the research regarding AIDS vaccines, which is fairly dismal. It is a complicated little bastard of a virus.

cpjakes
Nov 26, 2008, 11:11 PM
That reminds me of this story from a few months back. :D

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=59908&catid=13

cpjakes

millar876
Nov 27, 2008, 05:58 AM
if the bacteria is usually spread by food, should the warning be...

Dont tailgate an open sided chicken truc then lick the windshield?