Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
The IT dept. here is freakin out.
Since upgrading our Xserve to Leopard, the server has beeen hitting the Software Update link almost a million times a month (so they claim).
Ive shut-off all types of auto-update options and still no go.
Called Apple and they cant figure it out.
currently the IT dept. has shut-down all internet access from the servers IP.
if I need to update I have to call them up and ask for access which will be temp due to the problem.
anyone else experience this?
Im only using AFP and SMB.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Use my 15 minute rule. Can't figure it out? Reinstall the server OS. Save files, toss in the DVD, you'll be done in no more than 1/2 hour.
The do ONE update and turn it off, doing it manually in the future. That's what you want anyway... no bug testing for Apple.

There are plists and the hidden files that make up the operation of SW update, but all that time and the wrath of the IT guys just isn't worth the time... not to mention the TIME.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
So according to your IT department , SW update runs every 2.7 seconds?

I think you can guess the response to that, as it takes at least 7 seconds for it to contact the servers and search for any possible updates.

If as you say even changing the preferences doesn't resolve the problem, there is something else causing it to mess up. A re-install is probably the quickest and least stressful way to solve it.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Use my 15 minute rule. Can't figure it out? Reinstall the server OS....
Thanks that was on the back of my mind.
It wasnt that hard to do it the first time and administration is pretty minimal. no more than 6 real users.
thanks folks for the tips :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.