PDA

View Full Version : Looking into 12in power book

brsboarder
Feb 16, 2004, 06:59 PM
My windows laptop, is just about dead, and i think I want the 12in power book. Is it worth it to get it now? also, im concerned about battery life, does anyone know of any place to buy a battery for this computer which will produce more than the 4 hour standard? am i going wrong w/ buying this computer? thanks

johnnyjibbs
Feb 16, 2004, 07:37 PM
I have this computer and I love it! I regularly get 4 hours with the battery. I'm not sure you can get 3rd party batteries, but do you really have to live away from a plug that long?

You may want to hold off a little way, because there may be updates on the horizon (where have we heard that before? :rolleyes: :p) but these are nice machines. It's just, you'd be kicking yourself if you got a computer and it was updated a couple of weeks later.

My PowerBook is very capable at video editing, image editing, music creation (thanks to GarageBand) not to mention all the usual word processesing/emailing/web surfing stuff. I've got the Superdrive version and it has been very useful. I've also got 768MB RAM (cheaper to go crucial.com than Apple) and I upped to the 80GB hard drive on purchase.

Of course, you may want to look at the iBook as the 12" version is quite a lot cheaper than the 12" PowerBook. However, it is only 4/5 the speed (with a slower processor anyway with half the L2 cache) and no audio line in (useful for music recording) and you can't get the DVD-writing Superdrive. The iBook can't display span and do a couple of other things, as well as the fact that its not as sleek as the PowerBook or quite as small. I love this beauty. :)

abhishekit
Feb 16, 2004, 07:49 PM
powerbooks are the absolute best which mankind has to offer in the field of mobile computing..
having said that they may get even better (small improvements shortly, major g5 jump by the end of the year..) so be aware and then buy..

brhmac
Feb 16, 2004, 08:33 PM
I, too, really wanted the 12-inch G4 PowerBook, but I kept being tempted by the G4 iBook. The $500 premium for the PB didn't seem justified for the slight performance gap -- and I could get the iBook fully loaded, including Bluetooth, Airport Extreme and sales tax, for less $$$ than the entry-level 12-inch PB.

I've had the iBook for a bit more than a week now, and I feel confident about recommending it to others. It seems to be a solid, well-built machine with good speed and computing power.

neonart
Feb 16, 2004, 09:05 PM
I have a 12" 1Ghz Powerbook, 512MB Ram, Combo Drive, 40GB. Basically the standard setup with an extra 256MB. It's a fantastic machine for almost any task. Illustrator and Photoshop (Elements) do great! Virtual PC actually runs well, specially in full screen mode.
The only place it's just a tad "slow" is in gaming. I still play and enjoy Ghost Recon, Raven Shield, and Halo when I'm on the go, but my tower with 9800 has spoiled me. ;)
So if you're not an avid gamer, this machine is outstanding and a great value! As it has been mentioned before, if you can hold off, new ones will be released in the future. But you may be waiting months- like many did last year.

QCassidy352
Feb 16, 2004, 09:31 PM
I too have the 12" rev. B powerbook (768 RAM, 60 gig HD, combo, AE) and I LOVE it. Couldn't recommend it more. I don't get 4 hours, but not far off.

The 12" ibook is definitely worth a look too.

brsboarder
Feb 19, 2004, 09:46 AM
would u take this over an ibm t41? same price to the dollar basically, same hard drive, except the ibm is 5400 rpm, other than that, the only difference is the ibm is 4.9 pounds, but puts out 5 hours of battery life, so which should i get?

johnnyjibbs
Feb 19, 2004, 09:49 AM
I would for the style and the Mac OS. But then it really just boils down to Mac vs Windows. I think Macs are far more trouble-free and easy and I get a lot of stuff done on mine so I'd take the PowerBook any day.

wordmunger
Feb 19, 2004, 10:36 AM
Isn't the T41 a 14-inch monitor? That's a much bigger machine, even if the weight is about the same. A 15-inch powerbook would probably "feel" more like the same size. Of course, I'm a little biased, because I own a TiBook.

I'd suggest taking a look at both machines in a store, getting your hands on them. I think you'll find the Macs to be more elegant, friendlier machines--machines you *want* to use.

iRez
Feb 19, 2004, 11:04 AM
I've had my 12" PB for about a month now and it is just a great machine. But if your lookin for a computer that has lots of battery life why not look into an iBook, Apple claims they hold 6hrs of Battery life compared to the 4hrs for the PB. Either way you go you'll be pleased.

Hemingray
Feb 19, 2004, 01:14 PM
I'm also looking into possibly getting a 12" PowerBook in the "near" future (of course, I've been saying that since they came out with the 12". ;) ) For me, the Line In is essential. But since GarageBand has come out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the iBooks sprouted Line-In capabilities in the next revision.

How about the graphics card? I've heard the card in the current 12" PowerBooks isn't much better than that of the 12" iBook.

Who knows, by the time I actually get one of these, they may be G5's! :rolleyes:

G4scott
Feb 19, 2004, 01:26 PM
I've had my 12" PowerBook for quite some time now (almost a year in a couple of weeks, I think...)

I can't help but say it's an excellent product. Mine has only suffered one drop, which didn't do much (a small dent, but it's hardly noticeable...) The actual build of the PowerBook is superb. There are no scratches on mine, and it's still almost indistinguishable from a brand new one. I had a 12" iBook before this PowerBook, and I can definitely say the PowerBook is a more solid machine.

Looking at the current timeline, I'd say don't expect new PowerBooks until April, or maybe May. March could happen, although I think it'd be very unlikely. I can almost guarantee you that new PowerBooks will have G5's in them. The iBooks might also get a speed bump sometime shortly after PowerBooks are updated.

If you want a solid product now that you want to last a long time, and don't think you'll need a G5 in the near future, then the PowerBook is probably the way to go. It's sleek, portable, compact, and it'll more than likely do everything you need it to do, with enough power for you to try something new with your PowerBook.

As far as battery life goes, I never have a problem with my PowerBook. I take it to class, and use quite frequently away from my room, and I never have power issues.

You also have to take into consideration that this generation of PowerBooks is possibly the best line of portables on the planet. They've gotten rave reviews from PC users who are jealous of their portability and style, and Linux users are eyeballing them because they can install linux on these fantastic portables. I get comments from people all the time about my PowerBook, on how small it is, how cool it looks, and how much they want one. The only bad thing anybody has ever said about it came from a friend of a friend who was using a plastic Dell notebook that was about twice as thick and heavy as my PowerBook. There was obviously a hint of jealousy in his snide remarks. Besides, the only thing he could say about it was that it only had a 1 button mouse, to which I quickly whipped out my portable mouse...

All in all, I think the PowerBook will last longer than an iBook, in terms of durability and power. The iBook is also a good machine, and if you're looking to upgrade to a G5 PowerBook later, then the iBook might be the way to go, so you don't pay as much now, but if you need a computer now, that you need to last for more than a year, then the 12" PowerBook is your machine.

G4scott
Feb 19, 2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
I'm also looking into possibly getting a 12" PowerBook in the "near" future (of course, I've been saying that since they came out with the 12". ;) ) For me, the Line In is essential. But since GarageBand has come out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the iBooks sprouted Line-In capabilities in the next revision.

How about the graphics card? I've heard the card in the current 12" PowerBooks isn't much better than that of the 12" iBook.

Who knows, by the time I actually get one of these, they may be G5's! :rolleyes:

If you're looking for graphics performance, the PowerBook is a better choice than the iBook, although the 12" PowerBook only has a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM. The other PowerBooks have the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM, obviously a much better video card. The iBooks have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM, which I think is older than the one in the 12" PowerBook, although I'm not sure how much better the one in the 12" PowerBook is. As I said before, the 12" PowerBook is no graphics monster, mainly because of size/heat/power restrictions. I personally wouldn't expect completely awesome graphics performance out of a laptop with a 12" screen. The graphics are good, but not "completely awesome."

As I said before, look for PowerBook updates in 3-4 months. If you can hold off until then, then you might be better off getting what's new. You'll also have a chance to save up for extra goodies. If you want something now, the 12" PowerBook will suffice, but it's no graphics monster. I would also recommend the PowerBook over the iBook for Garage Band. It may be an iApp,, but it's one processor demanding monster...

brsboarder
Feb 19, 2004, 06:20 PM
what am i gunna lose if i go w/ the 12in ibook? is the speed going to be noticable, im not looking to do any gaming, so im not worried about that, will it be able to run photoshop anything else i should know about it before i go into it?

G4scott
Feb 19, 2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by brsboarder
what am i gunna lose if i go w/ the 12in ibook? is the speed going to be noticable, im not looking to do any gaming, so im not worried about that, will it be able to run photoshop anything else i should know about it before i go into it?

It will run photoshop decently. The main things you're losing are the option for a Super Drive, DVI out, line in, and 256k L2 cache. The PowerBook is also slightly smaller, .3 pounds lighter, and has a more durable casing. The aluminum doesn't scratch nearly as easily as the plastic on the iBook (I have no scratches on my PowerBook, whereas my iBook had tons of scratches), and overall, I think the feel of the PowerBook is better than the iBook (but that's mainly my opinion.)

The iBook should run photoshop just fine, unless you constantly deal with images bigger than 200mb, in which case it might seem to be kinda slow, but other than that, the G4 iBook is a perfectly capable machine. The only problem is that you can only get an 800mhz processor in the 12" iBook, and up to a 60gb HD. The iBooks also come with only 128mb built in RAM, while the PowerBooks have 256 built in.

I hope this helps your decision.

brsboarder
Feb 20, 2004, 05:34 PM
alright, i think i might go w/ the ibook, and upgrade the ram to the max right away, can someone tell me in relation to a p4, or centrino laptop how the speed might compare, and what you think the speed is equivalent to ie, centriuno 1.4

Macnasien
Feb 20, 2004, 07:48 PM
a friend of mine can call a ibook as her own and I tested both for there abilities and as i can say even if the PB isn't a graphis monster, it have up to 80% higher frame rates in games then the ibook.
(as a little hint, you can enable the second desktop function of the ibook with an openfirmware hack.)
In Quake III for example 56 fps vs. 30 fps. I think 30 fps is really enough but what will the future bring, LOL. And I never regret my buy of the PB, compared with the iBook (how dare I can do that), my PB is gorgeous,outstanding, what should i say. Smaller,lighter and DVD burning :D. I get my four hours with itunes, wordproccessing und surfing in the web. It's a great maschine and i would buy it again. If you needn't the extra power and the Superdrive, then the iBook would be a great choice, my friend getting her six hours regularly. ;)