Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fullsmoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
I've noticed a lot of owners placing a piece of microfiber cloth in between the keyboard and screen when closing their MBs. So--is it possible for the top shell of the MB to flex enough as to rub against the keyboard and causes scratches?

FS

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The keyboard slopes down into the bottom plate. It's not flush with the palm rests so the screen is completely protected from the keyboard.

fullsmoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
I understand Apple has provided space between the screen and keys of the keyboard. However, I'm wondering if the top shell (the screen) will flex enough to touch/rub against the keys and causes scratches. I've heard horror stories in the MBA's and I'm hoping that won't hold true for the MB's.

FS

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
What kind of MacBook are you talking about?

I doubt the aluminum ones bend enough to touch the keys. And even if in the off-chance that it did, the screen is made of glass anyway.

fullsmoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Sorry, I'm speaking about the MB Aluminum. It does seem very unlikely that the screen will get scratched. But, has anyone heard stories of this happening to the new MBAs?

FS

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yes...the keys can touch the screen if the LCD has any sort of pressure on it. The rubber gasket that surrounds the team is supposed to keep it off the keys, but it's possible...there have been quite a few threads on it already. It happens. So get a cloth to cover the keys when you close it. That's just a simple fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.