Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I just got a new MiniDV camcorder and had absolutely no trouble transferring the video to the computer. I made some nice menus in iDVD and tried to burn it but it wouldn't let me because i was using DVD+RW discs.

Here's the strange part. I WAS able to burn onto a DVD+RW disc through toast, although I couldn't get the whole iDVD file there....no menus etc.

So I have two questions: Why can I record onto theses discs with one program and not the other, and is there a way to burn an iDVD file through toast?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
if you are using the superdrive

it only supports -R discs, not +R. So naturally, the programs made by Apple will only want to use -R. They did that because they thought that -R would be the format that everyone would choose, but sony or whatever went with +R, now there is a format war and what not.

If someone knows if you can just burn the certain files with toast and it will be DVD playable let him know. Otherwise I believe using -R DVDs are the only way.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
It's just odd that the drive supports the discs but the program doesn't...
Apple could probably fix it with a patch or something.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by masterjedi73
It's just odd that the drive supports the discs but the program doesn't...
Apple could probably fix it with a patch or something.

I'm going out on a limb here but a while back I think some people noticed that they had Sony (I think) "SuperDrives" and not the standard Pioneer SuperDrive. The Sony's were dual format drives and people speculated that Apple was switching over, but I haven't heard much about this since the first mentioning so my assumption is that Apple need a few more SuperDrives than what they had so they purchased some from another vender. Now, to keep things even keel they crippled the non-Pioneer drives so all all their machies would have the same functionality.

Again, I'm not positive about this, but I think this might have been what happened.

Lethal

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Will the DVD-RW format work on the superdrive? I prefer that format.

I think it will, but keep in mind that if you use a rewriteable format the chances of stand alone DVD players reading the dics will be greatly reduced.

Lethal

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
If you create a DVD in DVD Studio Pro, you can create a VIDEO_TS folder and burn that through Toast.

I'm pretty sure I heard Steve say you were going to be able to do that in iDVD 4, but I can't find a way of doing it.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Will the DVD-RW format work on the superdrive? I prefer that format.
Yep, at least in the Pioneer 106 that shipped with my G5. iDVD has no problem burning them, either, and they will play in at least some stand-alone DVD players--a 3 year old Pioneer DVD player I have works just fine with them.

Caveat: I'm not 100% sure now because my memory is awful, but I believe I couldn't just stick the DVD-RW in and have iDVD recognize it like it will with DVD-Rs. I might've had to wait until it asked for a blank disc (or maybe it was the other way around...), but it did work.

I expect it's as other folks said with DVD+R/RW discs; although the Pioneer drives support them, Apple didn't put support for the format into iDVD, so you can't burn them with it. I'm not entirely sure why you'd even want to, since DVD-Rs are generally more compatible with stand-alone DVD players and cost the same, but to each his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.