PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Advice Needed for an old iBook

andreab35
Nov 27, 2008, 08:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Hey guys!

A year ago, my cousin purchased an iBook g3.

She just started to want to use it, and she was looking for me to help her.

Two hours it took me to set her network up, and I have had no experience
whatsoever with a Mac OS! LOL kudos to me.

Anyways, I looked for her specs. It has a 500mhz processor, 128MB of memory, and either a 10 or 20 GB hard drive, and it is running Panther (10.3)

My thing is: how should I upgrade her laptop? More RAM, etc...

What is the maximum OS this laptop can handle... like maybe Tiger?

Any upgrade/suggestions would be highly appreciated!

And, I apologize if I'm not clear with my explanation :o

P.S. - Odd question, but how do you get a bad smelling stench out of a laptop? When she bought it, it always has had this bad and strong smell to it. It smells like a can of BO got sprayed all over it. Any suggestions for removing the horrible stench?

Btw: it's an eBay bought laptop.

LordOfTheMacs
Nov 28, 2008, 07:34 AM
The maximum OS you can put on one of these is 10.4( Tiger), The maximum amount of memory you can put in there is 640 megs. RAM is much cheaper for older machines so upgrading that would be smart. The generation
of ibook you have was plagued with many problems, and smelling like skunk was one of them. I would go to the Genius Bar and have them check it out, for I can't help you too much.

iknowyourider
Nov 28, 2008, 08:22 AM
Go to everymac.com for all the standard info. They also have some upgrade info. To help the smell, I would turn it up-side-down, then blow out the dust with canned air. I would mist it with Febreeze fabric freshener and let it sit for a while in fresh air. You may have to put some febreeze in another sprayer 'cause my sprayer doesn't mist very well (it comes out too heavy).

I wish there was a nice way to ask ebay sellers about smell...

andreab35
Nov 29, 2008, 05:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. :)
I need to find Tiger disks for the iBook... I've tried searching around but can't find anything good.
I will be destinkifyingthe laptop, and maybe I'll take it to the Genius Bar for a little trip.