Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
And i would of thought there would of been a discount on the MBP's

I was going to buy it today.

Does anybody know anywhere in uk doing discounts on them?

What do you think of the prices? fair enough your saving money, but not that much

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Why should there by any discount in the UK at all? It's not like today means anything here. It's just another dull, grey, rainy Friday.

stuarthatto

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Not Black in Basingstoke - its is very Grey though

Have to say, I did check the prices at Apple earlier out of interest and they don't seem to be as deeply cut as in the US.

In fact wait for Monday and you'll probably save more because the VAT drops.

Have a good weekend,

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Crap discounts

Blame the crap discounts on the £/$ exchange rate. There is no way Apple are going to wipe 15% off.

What for?!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Have to say, I did check the prices at Apple earlier out of interest and they don't seem to be as deeply cut as in the US.
That's because in US$ terms we've already had massive discounts as the Pound has fallen in value against other currencies.

For example, with today's discounts a 2.4 MB costs £1,088.00. Subtracting the VAT makes that £925.95. That's roughly US$1424.35 at today's exchange rate.

The US store has that model on sale for $1,498.00 at their special Black Friday price, giving us in the UK a Black Friday saving of $73.65 over the discounted US price, roughly £47.87 cheaper.

I suspect January is going to see some pretty hefty price rises on Apple kit to UK customers. MatLane, you'd be better off getting that MBP as soon as possible. I don't think we'll see the prices cut on Monday either, as Apple are going to absorb the VAT cut to cover their currency losses.

hogmog

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Thames Valley, UK
I suspect January is going to see some pretty hefty price rises on Apple kit to UK customers. MatLane, you'd be better off getting that MBP as soon as possible. I don't think we'll see the prices cut on Monday either, as Apple are going to absorb the VAT cut to cover their currency losses.

Whilst I don't agree with this 100% I think, as Apple seems to fly in the face of business convention, that it is a real possibility. Apple did not cut UK prices when you got US$2.11 / £1 so it will have profited from that so it could afford to 'lose' on a weaker pound. However it increased prices on introducing the new unibody MBs - a mid-range MBP by £170 (£150 base + £20 cost of video adapter inc in previous version) despite an imminent recession and presumably lower manufacturing costs (the unibody machines have fewer case parts for example). I suppose the only consolation is that Apple raised prices for all their non-US customers so we are not alone. I might be wrong but MacWorld 2009 in Jan is presumably the danger point as prices appear to change with the release of new models - and there are expectations of new models at this event. I have reached the conclusion that there is never a good / bad time to buy a new machine - you buy it when you can afford it AND you need it coincide. The only caveat to that philosophy is that I am waiting for the faulty MBs to work their way through the system.

PC World are already offering the new VAT rate at their stores so if you can't get the new rate at Apple you can take your money elsewhere.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Whilst I don't agree with this 100% I think, as Apple seems to fly in the face of business convention, that it is a real possibility. Apple did not cut UK prices when you got US$2.11 / £1 so it will have profited from that so it could afford to 'lose' on a weaker pound. However it increased prices on introducing the new unibody MBs - a mid-range MBP by £170 (£150 base + £20 cost of video adapter inc in previous version) despite an imminent recession and presumably lower manufacturing costs (the unibody machines have fewer case parts for example). I suppose the only consolation is that Apple raised prices for all their non-US customers so we are not alone. I might be wrong but MacWorld 2009 in Jan is presumably the danger point as prices appear to change with the release of new models - and there are expectations of new models at this event. I have reached the conclusion that there is never a good / bad time to buy a new machine - you buy it when you can afford it AND you need it coincide. The only caveat to that philosophy is that I am waiting for the faulty MBs to work their way through the system.

PC World are already offering the new VAT rate at their stores so if you can't get the new rate at Apple you can take your money elsewhere.

Good point

I really doubt apple will drop there price

I might wait a week or so and shop around a bit

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Picking one up from duty free store at the airport is the best discount you'll get IMO .. I got my MBP last week at Heathrow T3, cost £1190 so over £200 saving on rrp.

..they weren't on display yet, had to ask.

HTH
Monty

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Here in the U.S. there appear to be no black friday discounts on the MBP. Only on the MacBook and the iMac. Nothing spectacular. Pretty lame for all hype about there being big discounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.