PDA

View Full Version : M-audio Delta 44 w/Garageband and some other questions

Nick&Joe
Nov 28, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hi, first post here, trying to put together a recording kit on a budget and I've got some questions...

I'm on a G5 dual 2.0 with 8 gig of RAM. Two internal drives (one is a Photoshop scratch the other is System and Apps only) I save to two external SATA drives in Seritek Sata boxes hooked up to a Seritek Sata pontroller card (PCI).

I've been using an M-Audio MobilePre USB and I'd like to step up to an M-audio Delta 44 after hearing good things. I need the extra tracks for drum recording.

-Will I be able to push the limits in Garageband and get zero latency on my system with GB '08?

I read a few reviews of Garageband '08 and it seemed like there were some performance problems at the beginning of this version. Have these been solved?

Also, is the Delta 44 capable of zero latency in real life? I never totally believe what I read.

I've got some equipment that I used when recording to an old Roland digi station...I used two ART Tube MP's w/phantom power and I have two AKG c-1000-s'

I'm going to keep using this stuff and was wondering...

-With a guitar, can I just plug into the ART and go from there or do I absolutely need a direct box?

-Also, if I'm using a mic like a Sure sm57, do I need a pre amp?

Any other suggestions or tips would appreciated..My recordings tend be fairly simple..guitars, bass, drums and some piano sounds...I'm trying to keep cost down heavily.

I have more questions but I forgot what they were.

Thanks

bagelche
Dec 16, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm curious how this has turned out for you so far.

Far under-powered compared to your machine, but I was recently given a dual processor G4 (not sure the speed at the moment) that I was going to put my Delta 44 in. I've had it in an XP machine I haven't touched in a few years (wasting away!).

I plan on essentially replicating my previous setup. Using a Mackie 1604vlz as my mixer with the 4 subs to the 4 inputs on the Delta and the 4 channels coming back on inputs 13-16 of the board.