Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Onto my bed, by accident. There was a loud CRACK, and I looked down to see the screen still connected, but flat along the bed, almost parallel to the keyboard part =(

www.moourl.com/myMBA

Amid much disbelief, and palpitations, I noticed the screen was still on.
Carefully picking it up, I further noticed the hinge was still working, and holding in place...
Despite the screen now opening to 180 degrees, a scarily loud crack, and physical deformity, my precious MBA still works ^_^ !

Has anyone else had this accidental mod?

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Interesting, although you're backlit keyboard shouldn't really be on... should it?

I'd be careful with that from now on though, does the screen stay up on its own?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Onto my bed, by accident. There was a loud CRACK, and I looked down to see the screen still connected, but flat along the bed, almost parallel to the keyboard part =(

www.moourl.com/myMBA

Amid much disbelief, and palpitations, I noticed the screen was still on.
Carefully picking it up, I further noticed the hinge was still working, and holding in place...
Despite the screen now opening to 180 degrees, a scarily loud crack, and physical deformity, my precious MBA still works ^_^ !

Has anyone else had this accidental mod?

Kinda looks funny.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Hmm, interesting. I almost bought a MBA because I thought the screen would open that far. I saw one at a store (not Apple), and its screen opened to almost 180 degrees like yours. When I looked at a MBA closer at an Apple Store, I was surprised to see its screen not being able to open that far.

FWIW, my theory is that there's some plastic thingy inside the hinge that prevents you from opening it too far, and that's what cracked on your MBA.

BTW, sorry you had to go thru this experience. I'd be worried too if it happened to me.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm pretty sure there is an earlier thread about the exact same thing, IIRC. Do search and you may find it - and the conclusions that came from it. Again, from memory, I believe the consensus was that there is plastic nub that prevents the lid from opening too far. And that there was a chance that continually opening the lid past the now gone stop may put too much stress on the connection from the body to the lid over time. Anyway, check the thread....

cheers

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure there is an earlier thread about the exact same thing, IIRC. Do search and you may find it - and the conclusions that came from it. Again, from memory, I believe the consensus was that there is plastic nub that prevents the lid from opening too far. And that there was a chance that continually opening the lid past the now gone stop may put too much stress on the connection from the body to the lid over time. Anyway, check the thread....

cheers

Exactly the same thing I was thinking! I read before about this guy being drunk and accidentally dropped his MBA on his bed or couch. He also heard a cracking sound.

Do a quick search!:apple:

My macbook Air fell also and dented the top case and cracked the hinge in the inside and also bent the hinge on the inside it was like a month old,it worked fine nothing wrong with it, i was sad !

I bought the extended warranty also, and was afraid if my logic board or screen failed they would not honor my warranty because the damage so i took it in to get an estimate on how much to fix it,the genius said around $1000 i said wow i can buy one almost for that price , he said if he good get me a good price would i be willing to check it in , i said yes ,he said hold on ill be back , had me sign the paper work and the price was zero dollars . crazy i know i thanks God almighty i will scan the paper work and post a copy

i remember his Apple shirt said "not all heros wear capes" :)

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
My macbook Air fell also and dented the top case and cracked the hinge in the inside and also bent the hinge on the inside it was like a month old,it worked fine nothing wrong with it, i was sad !

I bought the extended warranty also, and was afraid if my logic board or screen failed they would not honor my warranty because the damage so i took it in to get an estimate on how much to fix it,the genius said around $1000 i said wow i can buy one almost for that price , he said if he good get me a good price would i be willing to check it in , i said yes ,he said hold on ill be back , had me sign the paper work and the price was zero dollars . crazy i know i thanks God almighty i will scan the paper work and post a copy

i remember his Apple shirt said "not all heros wear capes" :)

Wow!! $0 from $1k?? That's an awesome deal though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.