PDA

View Full Version : replacing optical drive in G5 iMac (iSight)

Melbournemac
Nov 28, 2008, 07:40 PM
OK, I've been checking out various forums and help pages looking for information on how to take apart my G5 iMac to replace the UJ 846 optical drive. I have the iSight model which the Apple help page doesn't cover as to how to fix. I am lead to believe that the LCD screen must be removed to perform this task. Am I crazy to attempt this at home? Has anyone done this themselves? Any information would be welcome.
Cheers, Phil.

Macman756
Nov 28, 2008, 07:56 PM
OK, I've been checking out various forums and help pages looking for information on how to take apart my G5 iMac to replace the UJ 846 optical drive. I have the iSight model which the Apple help page doesn't cover as to how to fix. I am lead to believe that the LCD screen must be removed to perform this task. Am I crazy to attempt this at home? Has anyone done this themselves? Any information would be welcome.
Cheers, Phil.

The first body style of the iMac G5 , non isight, was the only model to have the optical drive easily replaceable. On yours, its a white 1.9 or 2.1 G5 right? I would not attempt it. The new Aluminums are easier. I myself have never tried replacing it, but, I think you can buy, (Although I'm not sure) the Macbook Air Superdrive for $99, its USB 2.0 and you dont have to crack her open and buy a new drive. I think that drive works on all macs. Just my 2 cents!

Reflow
Nov 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
The only ones I found were on eBay. Try lookinghere (http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Technology-Books-Resources__W0QQ_nkwZiMacQ20G5QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZComputersQ2dNetworkingQQ_pcatsZ58058QQ_sacatZ3 516)