Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperDaveInLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi.

I am doing tech for a comedy show which requires me to run both video and audio from my macbook pro (the newest version).

I am going to hook my computer up to a projector for several video shorts during the show, but I don't want the projector to project my laptop throughout the show. Not sure if that makes sense, but I don't know how to explain myself more clearly.

Is there a way (and a very fast easy quick fix) to project an image on the projector screen that the audience sees while I am running other stuff on my laptop (audio, following the script, etc)?

Help! The show is tonight and the tech people at our venues haven't been much help.

Thanks!,
dave

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'd imagine you could expand your program to the external monitor which is in your case the projector. Just go to system preferences and display tab.

That way you can keep all your controls on your MBP screen and display your video on the external vga projector. Good luck.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Pro-level projectors often have a "no show" and/or "freeze" button that you can use if you need to do other things on screen that you don't want the audience to see.

Shawn Parr

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
http://figure53.com

Qlab. The audio features are free. Video cue features are $150. I've been using it for Theatre for over a year doing heavy audio and video cue playback. It is a great platform. It allows you to stack video cues, so you can fire a black background and keep it up so that when your other video items are stopped the black is still there. If you accidentally mouse to a display showing a 'video' cue (still images are a video cue) the mouse is hidden behind the cue.

It is insanely cheap for what it does (especially the free audio version, comparable products start at over $300, most are closer to $500 to $800), it is very easy to work with, and it has a lot of power and flexibility. Many shows in NYC and on the West End in London are using it.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I believe you can go into System Preferences > Display, and tell it to detect your displays. Then configure it to use both displays, not mirrored. Then you should be able to drag your video playback program to the external and keep your other stuff on your laptop. Just make sure you make your laptop the master (by dragging the white bar in the arrangement window to the correct display).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.