PDA

View Full Version : Apple Care Protection Plan for Mac Pro

zer0tails
Nov 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
Two questions:

1. I'm wondering how many of you have bought Apple Care for your mac pro?

2. Is it worth buying Apple care for a desk top mac?

I've in the past purchased Apple care for my macbooks because those tend to get abused a lot more since they're always carried around everywhere.

However, for a mac pro, is Apple care still a recommended buy? After all it just sits on my table and doesn't get moved around.

GoKyu
Nov 29, 2008, 09:26 PM
I bought it for mine, for 2 reasons...

#1. It was almost a no-brainer - CompUSA's going out of business sale had pushed the price down to about $100, so I felt that was worth it.

#2. As good as any Mac is, there is *ALWAYS* a chance that you could get a lemon or that something could happen. And Mac Pros, if you didn't notice, are *NOT* cheap :)

I'd rather be protected for a couple of years for a little bit of money than to have something small happen and owe well over $100 to get something fixed :)

nanofrog
Nov 29, 2008, 09:29 PM
Go for it. :D

Out of pocket repairs are expensive. PSU's are ~$300, logic boards are ~$780,... and that's just for parts. :eek:

zer0tails
Nov 29, 2008, 09:46 PM
Go for it. :D

Out of pocket repairs are expensive. PSU's are ~$300, logic boards are ~$780,... and that's just for parts. :eek:

damn, that's expensive! Well, I do have an extra year of warranty from my credit card. But Apple care is only gonna cost me $99 U.S. so I guess if u take it as 50 bucks a year its not so bad.

Digital Skunk
Nov 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
YES!

Power Mac G5 Logic board replacement over here....

$1100

Another co-worker of mine had the same thing happen to him, and he didn't have Apple Care so he paid for it and wept afterwards.

nanofrog
Nov 29, 2008, 11:40 PM
YES!

Power Mac G5 Logic board replacement over here....

$1100

Another co-worker of mine had the same thing happen to him, and he didn't have Apple Care so he paid for it and wept afterwards.
$1100? Whoa! :eek:

And I thought the early 2008 Logic Board was expensive! :D :p

grue
Nov 30, 2008, 12:05 AM
Kinda.

Due to my status with Apple, I get a complimentary three year warranty. I don't get the telephone support, but I could hardly care less about that.

That having been said, if I didn't get the freebie, I'd buy AppleCare just because it covers the display as well.

zer0tails
Nov 30, 2008, 12:39 AM
Kinda.

Due to my status with Apple, I get a complimentary three year warranty. I don't get the telephone support, but I could hardly care less about that.

That having been said, if I didn't get the freebie, I'd buy AppleCare just because it covers the display as well.

I know I'm definitely getting Apple care for the cinema display because they don't get too reliable as they age.

However, the mac pro apple care is ??? for me because I bought the mac pro and cinema display separately. Therefore, that extra incentive is missing me for me to get the mac pro apple care.

nanofrog
Nov 30, 2008, 12:57 AM
I know I'm definitely getting Apple care for the cinema display because they don't get too reliable as they age.

However, the mac pro apple care is ??? for me because I bought the mac pro and cinema display separately. Therefore, that extra incentive is missing me for me to get the mac pro apple care.
You don't have to purchase it from Apple. Other vendors offer it at a discount, including eBay. There's no difference in coverage. The part number is a little different, as it's the P/N for a later purchase, rather than when purchased with the system.

That's it. ;) :)

grue
Nov 30, 2008, 12:58 AM

Well, that's a bit different, but I'd still consider how expensive the parts are in these machines.

Granted, HDDs, RAM and optical drives aren't worth AppleCare, but the logic board, PSU, CPUs, those will cost more than AppleCare would.

If you don't use it, c'est la vie. Better to have and not need.

Digital Skunk
Nov 30, 2008, 01:40 AM
the cinema display because they don't get too reliable as they age.

Nope.... the ACDs are just as top notch as any other monitor in it's class even after it has aged. I have seen some with backlight bleeding, but out of the 22 or so that i have seen that are first gen/bought back when introduced shortly after the PPC G5 tower, all of them have been virtually flawless.

I have heard of some issues with an ACD here and there, but nothing about them not being good as they get older.

My personal 20" (that has been replaced by two 23's :cool:) is going on it's 3rd year and is still flawless.

XianPalin
Nov 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
I bought it for mine, I figure if I'm going to spend this much for a machine a few hundred more for an awesome protection plan is not a bad idea at all. Everything I've read about AppleCare has been exceptional, so I didn't hesitate much at all.

zer0tails
Nov 30, 2008, 03:08 PM
Nope.... the ACDs are just as top notch as any other monitor in it's class even after it has aged. I have seen some with backlight bleeding, but out of the 22 or so that i have seen that are first gen/bought back when introduced shortly after the PPC G5 tower, all of them have been virtually flawless.

I have heard of some issues with an ACD here and there, but nothing about them not being good as they get older.

My personal 20" (that has been replaced by two 23's :cool:) is going on it's 3rd year and is still flawless.

well, that certainly is good to hear. After spending this much, i definitely would want to be able to keep it for 3 years or more.

I've just had people tell me that usually after the 3rd year, the ccfl lights go out etc. and the display becomes useless then.

emt377
Nov 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
#2. As good as any Mac is, there is *ALWAYS* a chance that you could get a lemon or that something could happen. And Mac Pros, if you didn't notice, are *NOT* cheap :)

You do get a one year warranty, you know. Plenty of time to discover if you got a lemon. Mine had dead FW ports on the back, which I noticed after about a month when I tried to use them. MacMedic in SF swapped out the logic board in two days, under warranty of course.

rpaloalto
Nov 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
You do get a one year warranty, you know. Plenty of time to discover if you got a lemon. Mine had dead FW ports on the back, which I noticed after about a month when I tried to use them. MacMedic in SF swapped out the logic board in two days, under warranty of course.

Thats what I thaught when I baught my second imac a few years ago.
My first imac I had the warranty and never had problems. I thaught I would save the money this time.
About 15 months down the road. The dvd drive went out. Apple wanted almost $250 dollars to fix it.:eek: I found a p.c./mac repair shop that would do the work for allot less. Only they screwed my imac's logic board. They tryied to fix it 3 times, befor the finally replaced it. With another used logic board. And it still never would work right:mad:
I just got a mac pro in july, and Apple care was a no brainer this time around.

baselisk
Nov 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
what is the maximum amount of years you can get for applecare?

zer0tails
Nov 30, 2008, 07:43 PM
what is the maximum amount of years you can get for applecare?

3 years. When you first buy your mac it comes with 1 year warranty, and when you buy Apple care, you extend it by another two years for a total of three years.

emt377
Nov 30, 2008, 08:05 PM
I agree that AppleCare can be worth the money. (I always get it myself.) Not really to guard against a lemon though, but more for ongoing service and general peace of mind.

zer0tails
Dec 1, 2008, 12:45 AM
Just purchased Apple care for my Mac Pro and Apple cinema display :D

Total cost: $133.00 U.S.

thanks everyone who helped in this decision :)

DieselPowerMag
Dec 1, 2008, 04:33 AM
Complete waste of money for anything but laptops and 2.5GHz G5s.

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 1, 2008, 07:34 AM
Complete waste of money for anything but laptops and 2.5GHz G5s.
Typical Noob Response :rolleyes:

Congrats zer0tails. All it is is pretty much an insurance plan so you'll be glad you got it. Piece of mind for the next 3 years. Besides you can sell it after 2 years to buy the newer Mac Pro and sell your old system and that AC will definitely add value to it and pay for itself.

edesignuk
Dec 1, 2008, 07:35 AM
Buy it, but buy it from eBay.

Digital Skunk
Dec 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
Just purchased Apple care for my Mac Pro and Apple cinema display :D

Total cost: $133.00 U.S.

thanks everyone who helped in this decision :)

Good, but from what I remember Apple Care has to be purchased with the machine and display to cover both the display and Mac Pro, otherwise you have to buy it separately.

bingiman2000
Dec 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
Ive taken out apple care and my mac crashed last night. Iv only had it for 6molnths. Everytime I turn my mac on it works for 2minutes and then crashes. I have a power mac. Will be calling them to see if they can fix it. Will let you kno how it goes

zer0tails
Dec 1, 2008, 10:36 PM
Good, but from what I remember Apple Care has to be purchased with the machine and display to cover both the display and Mac Pro, otherwise you have to buy it separately.

correct indeed. My total was for two separate Apple care agreements. $93 for the Mac pro and $40 for the display. :) I feel abit safer now and hopefully this will be enough to deter me from Nehalem and from any upgrades till 2011 :p

ObaMaciden
Dec 2, 2008, 09:33 AM
correct indeed. My total was for two separate Apple care agreements. $93 for the Mac pro and $40 for the display. :) I feel abit safer now and hopefully this will be enough to deter me from Nehalem and from any upgrades till 2011 :p

If nothing else, you just added some considerable resell value.:D

Sounds like you got yourself a sweet deal. I recently bit the bullet and went for an MP with AppleCare. Ideally I'd get the Nehalem if convinced that it's at least 1.5x more powerful than my current config. Then, looking at 1-2 years from now, I expect to get good $ selling my MP, which would still have plenty of warranty left for the next user's peace of mind.;)

Rt&Dzine
Dec 2, 2008, 05:03 PM

You can purchase Mac Pro AppleCare later and cover both the machine and one display. But the Mac Pro and display had to be purchased together (on the same receipt).

G4DP
Dec 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
Well worth it.

After 10 months of service, i've started getting error codes from the Apple Hardware Test. Went through the check list on the Apple website, error was still present on another run. Called AppleCare told them the error message. They logged it. i am now waiting for a call from Amsys to arrange an on site repair/assessment. The engineer will fix on site if possible, or take it away if it is a bigger job.

The Errorcode was 4SNS/1/40000001:VMBS-0.000.

Anyone else had this one?