Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidClassic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hi there:)
I've had my iPod for a year now and my DVD's for a while longer. I've have started converting my DVD's to watch on my ipod. Each DVD takes roughly two to two and a half hours to complete and ends up being about 500 to 900mb in size. Now what i'm asking is, what are the best settings for handbreak that will convert my DVD's to iPod the fastest possible way with the smallest file size, that will still look good on my iPod.

The reason I need Hanbreak to work faster is because my laptop overheats constantly and i'm only able to convert one movie before I have to turn it off, let it cool down for about a hour than start it all up again.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Do you only want to watch them on the iPod screen, or are you going to play the movies on a TV?

If you want small and fast (but not the best quality, although still good) you should not use h264, and should set the resolution to the same width as your iPod screen. On a decent computer, you should be able to import a movie with these settings in about 30 minutes.

DavidClassic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah I only want to watch the video on my iPod. For my TV I've got the DVD's. What do you mean "not best quality" the ones i've already converted look like an iTunes bought video just a little bit worse.

Thanks for the advice.:)

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
Do you have a Macbook? It should rip in about 30 minutes for a 90 minute movie. A Powerbook may take 90 minutes or longer. I guess it's the dual core chip that is so much faster. My HB is set on; Format = MP4 file, Codecs = MPEG - 4 Video / AAC Audio, Quality / average bitrate = 1000.

Also you should at least elevate your notebook to help cooling. El Gato and 1 or 2 more companys make hardware for converting-to-ipod. That would spare your notebook.

I started using a $30 external optical drive for this task to save my MB drive. I also leave the MB to only have this task while ripping.

DavidClassic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hey:)
By the way I am running windows. (I know, I Suck)
NeoMayhem, Thanks for the advice it was exactly what I was looking for. And you were right about the time too, about 30mins each. Perfect!

Disabling h.264 encoding will make Handbrake run much faster, but at the expense of file size. Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it to.

I'm not sure if I chose the right MPEG-4 ( FFMPEG or XviD) but I chose FFMPEG and each movie is about 500mb's.

I think i'll have a piece of that cake now:D

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
ffmpeg is the fastest option, so good choice.

What iPod do you have? If it is a touch/iphone then 500mb sounds about right for qood quality video. If you have an iPod with a smaller screen, then you should be able to get the filesize down to about 300mb.

DavidClassic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I have a iPod Classic. I could make the file size smaller but I don't mind having it around 500. I've got the space to store it on my PC, and it means I can put around 7 or 8 movies on my iPod at one time.

:DThanks Everyone For All The Advice:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.