Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goods4you05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Hi guys,
Ive been researching PowerMacG5's for quite some time now and I am ready to purchase a used one as I will be using it for editing some personal fun footage and whatnot from sports that I do. However I have a limited amount of money, and cannot afford anything over probably $700-800 for the tower. I found a 20" apple cinema display for $289 shipped that I am looking to buy and a Dual 2.5 PowerMac G5 with 750gb hd, Radeon 9800xt graphics card, 4gb ram, wireless card. I think I can get it for about $700.

What i want to know is, is should I go ahead and get this with the money constraints that I have, or should I wait until MacWorld or a new Mac Pro comes out which will bring down the value of the first Quad 2.5? Do you guys think that would bring down the value of the Quad 2.5 to around 700-800 or no? I research alot and I will be more than happy with what I can get I just didnt know if a newly released Mac Pro would cause the first Quad 2.5 to drop a couple hundred bucks. Let me know your thoughts, as I would greatly appreciate them.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Honestly for $700 for what I think is a Quad 2.5ghz model is a pretty damn good price considering it does have some good upgrades already. I mean if that's what they are asking, you could always offer even less and get an even better deal out of it. Upgrading with more memory is even cheaper with the prices of DDR2.

That's still a nice and fast machine. The only concern you should know about is that they are liquid cooled. Be sure to open it up to see if you see any leaks or any type of corrosion of the aluminum on the bottom or anywhere else. You can remove the cover over the processors too to see if you see anything out of the ordinary there as well.

Good luck on your purchase.

goods4you05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008

RitoRevolto

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
The 2.5GHz+ G5s are too unreliable. I had my logicboard replaced two years ago because of leaking coolant. Look for a dual 2.3 instead, they are air cooled.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The 2.5GHz+ G5s are too unreliable. I had my logicboard replaced two years ago because of leaking coolant. Look for a dual 2.3 instead, they are air cooled.

That's just from one person's perspective. And to say they are unreliable is completely false.

goods4you05 said:
How much does it cost to replace a logic board?

Depends on where you want to replace it. Going to Apple, they will probably and obviously charge you more then the G5 is worth. If you're capable of doing it yourself, it will only cost you a few Benjamins.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
At the end of 2008 i personally would not buy anything, that has old PPC tehnology in it.

apple2E

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
CA
At the end of 2008 i personally would not buy anything, that has old PPC tehnology in it.

That's the best answer I've read. You're putting money into something that is going to be extinct. You can't even fully install cs4 master suite and in time software will not be made for ppc.

quill17

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
Hi guys,
Ive been researching PowerMacG5's for quite some time now and I am ready to purchase a used one as I will be using it for editing some personal fun footage and whatnot from sports that I do. However I have a limited amount of money, and cannot afford anything over probably $700-800 for the tower. I found a 20" apple cinema display for $289 shipped that I am looking to buy and a Dual 2.5 PowerMac G5 with 750gb hd, Radeon 9800xt graphics card, 4gb ram, wireless card. I think I can get it for about $700.

What i want to know is, is should I go ahead and get this with the money constraints that I have, or should I wait until MacWorld or a new Mac Pro comes out which will bring down the value of the first Quad 2.5? Do you guys think that would bring down the value of the Quad 2.5 to around 700-800 or no? I research alot and I will be more than happy with what I can get I just didnt know if a newly released Mac Pro would cause the first Quad 2.5 to drop a couple hundred bucks. Let me know your thoughts, as I would greatly appreciate them.

have you thought about buying a Mac Mini? I have one and it works just fine for editing home video. You can also upgrade the the RAM to 3GB for about 100 dollars. I bought my RAM at http://www.otherworldcomputing.com and have not had an issue with it ever.

-------------------------------------------------------
MBP 15" 2.4GHz, Mac Mini 2GHz, 20" Cinema Display

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.