PDA

View Full Version : Imac G4 flat panel was unpluged---now won't turn on???

kevaxe2k2
Nov 30, 2008, 02:31 PM
So, I am dog/housesitting for my inlaws. Yesterday, before I left my house I shut down my iMac as always and for the heck of it, unplugged the computer, modem, and router stopped home today, and decided to hop on the computer real quick. plugged everything back in and the computer will NOT turn on. No noise, no lights, nothing. It was fine yesterday--I shut it down, unplugged it, and plugged it back in today---now it is completely dead! So I tried other plugs and no dice. Never had any power or shutdown/starup issue before. I called Mac---but outside of driving an hour to the Apple store--it wasn't much help. The guy did say it was most likely the cord. I would be wiling to try that--as it would be a cheap option, but it looks like I may have to drive to the Apple store anyway to get a cord that fits. I also tried resetting the PMU that Apples site recommends--and nothing. Any suggestion would be great. With the holidays the thought of dropping big $$$ on computer repairs is not appealing. THANKS!

kevaxe2k2
Dec 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
I should also mention that the computer hasn't been unplugged since I went on vacation last April. I generally leave it plugged in. I bought it about 5 years ago.

Schtumple
Dec 1, 2008, 08:08 AM
Cord or fuse is a factor, but most common is PSU.

A good test, is plug the cord into the mains, then plug the other end into the iMac, if you don't hear a sparking noise, I think that means the power supply has died.

If when you turn it on the fan starts up, but no other components do, it's logic board failure, or a shorting wire as I discovered after taking an iMac G4 apart.

kevaxe2k2
Dec 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks---I tried that and heard nothing. I did reset the PSU and nothing there either. :(

Schtumple
Dec 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
Ok, it's either cord or power supply that's gone then. You can pick power supplies up on ebay occasionally, make sure you get the correct one however, one for a 17" G4 iMac is not the same to that of a 15" one.