Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I've got some mp4 files here that are accompanied by DT4 sound files. For some reason, when I play these files with Quicktime, the video is pretty choppy. Playing with VLC, everything seems to run smoothly. Why is quicktime slow? I'd like to use iTunes to organize my movies and watch them with Quicktime but not if the 720P and 1080P movies look choppy

I've got a SG33G5 with a Q6600 at 2.7ghz, 4 GB of RAM and a X1950GT video card (my system is a hackintosh). Do I need a new video card or is there something I need to do with the settings?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Quicktime is kinda sucky, but considering how built-in it is in the OS, its pretty solid when you consider all the formats it can play, how integrated it is in things like Final Cut, Logic, iPhoto, Keynote, etc....
But even Apple plans an overhaul for it for Snow Leopard, and there is much room for improvement.

OP, try installing Perian, it's a Quicktime codec add-on. It lets Quicktime playback several codecs and containers that the default Quicktime can't play.

MP4 with DT4, not sure what that is? Do you mean DTS?

Download MediaInfo Mac (it's free), and find out more about your mp4 file.

The more you know, the more we can help.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks for clearing things up for me, guys. Spacepower7, you're right, it is a DTS file, not a DT4 file.

I didn't know the CPU did everything. I always thought the video card helped processing these files. But you'd think a quad core running at 2.7ghz would do the trick. I'll have to upgrade the RAM and try to get a bit more overclock.

Anyway, I have tried various mp4 files and all mp4 files played through quicktime is choppy. But like I said, played through VLC, it works like a charm. It's a shame. I was really looking to use iTunes to organize my movies and converting all my mkv files over to mp4.

I'll come back and let you guys know how things work out. I'm downloading all the suggested files now.

Thanks!

Henry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.