Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I've gone ahead and ordered VMWare Fusion, and have read the guide here on installing Windows on a Mac but I still have a few questions.

I want to be able to run Windows Vista Ultimate through both/either boot camp or virtualization, depending on what I'm doing--I just want both options available.

1) I see that I have to partition the drive for Windows Vista (15 GB for Vista plus the amount of space I want), but will I have to create ANOTHER partition for VMWare or will it just run from the same partition as bootcamp?

2) Also with Snow Leopard around the corner and no pressing need to install Windows now, should I just wait? I assume that if I install Windows now I will have to redo it all anyway when I upgrade to Snow Leopard, correct me if I'm wrong. Another reason I may wait is because I see that not everything may work or be compatible with the Vista installation, like wifi or bluetooth or isight etc, so perhaps Snow Leopard will ensure FULL compatibility between all applications and Windows?

Thanks for helping a noob.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I've gone ahead and ordered VMWare Fusion, and have read the guide here on installing Windows on a Mac but I still have a few questions.

I want to be able to run Windows Vista Ultimate through both/either boot camp or virtualization, depending on what I'm doing--I just want both options available.

1) I see that I have to partition the drive for Windows Vista (15 GB for Vista plus the amount of space I want), but will I have to create ANOTHER partition for VMWare or will it just run from the same partition as bootcamp?

2) Also with Snow Leopard around the corner and no pressing need to install Windows now, should I just wait? I assume that if I install Windows now I will have to redo it all anyway when I upgrade to Snow Leopard, correct me if I'm wrong. Another reason I may wait is because I see that not everything may work or be compatible with the Vista installation, like wifi or bluetooth or isight etc, so perhaps Snow Leopard will ensure FULL compatibility between all applications and Windows?

Thanks for helping a noob.

1. Not sure how exactly it works in VMware (I have Parallels), but you should be able to tell VMware to use the boot camp partition as the disk for your virtual machine; you just create a "shell" that tells VMware it is dealing with vista, then it does everything. At least thats how it works for me, can't say for sure for you. No need to make any more partitions than that.

2. Boot camp works more or less perfectly right now, Vista sees and uses everything, including bluetooth and iSight. No reason at all to wait. And Snow Leopard shouldn't change anything, you should be able to leave the Windows partition alone and it will work fine. I'm kind of pulling that out of you know where, so correct me if I'm wrong...

Hope that helps.

[edit]
Also, this is just me, but XP is probably better for virtualizing since it isn't as bloated as Vista.
However, I am doing exactly what you are talking about right now, and it works decently alongside OS X.
Good luck!
[/edit]

tslewis

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
1. Not sure how exactly it works in VMware (I have Parallels), but you should be able to tell VMware to use the boot camp partition as the disk for your virtual machine; you just create a "shell" that tells VMware it is dealing with vista, then it does everything. At least thats how it works for me, can't say for sure for you. No need to make any more partitions than that.

2. Boot camp works more or less perfectly right now, Vista sees and uses everything, including bluetooth and iSight. No reason at all to wait. And Snow Leopard shouldn't change anything, you should be able to leave the Windows partition alone and it will work fine. I'm kind of pulling that out of you know where, so correct me if I'm wrong...

Hope that helps.

[edit]
Also, this is just me, but XP is probably better for virtualizing since it isn't as bloated as Vista.
However, I am doing exactly what you are talking about right now, and it works decently alongside OS X.
Good luck!
[/edit]

Ive had a nightmare today trying to install vista 32 on my late 2008 mbp. Ive spent 12 hours on it tried eveyrthing. IS there any particular step I must go through to install it? Are you running it on a new MBP?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Hope that helps.

[edit]
Good luck!
[/edit]

I agree... with Boot Camp everything works!!! It is a much better route to go unless you need rapid switching or to run both OSes simultaneously. For me, I have one client App that runs on Windows, and I work on it one day per month. So, that day of the month, I run Windows. Anyways, I run Windows Vista Ultimate in Boot Camp and everything works perfectly. I suppose Vista Ultimate was not required but to me is kinda cool to have one computer with two awesome OSes. I know, I know. Don't hate Vista, room for it on the Mac in Boot Camp. As long as the computer has an Apple on it, no problem running the enemy's OS.

I would stay away from the Virtual game if you can. Too many problems and unsupported features/software.

Good luck with yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.