Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Perhaps in an effort to extend the buying frenzy of Black Friday, the Monday following Black Friday has been (controversially) dubbed Cyber Monday. Many online retailers have decided to extend or start new sales on this day. While Apple is not participating in such activities, the big 3rd party Apple retailers have continued their Black Friday sales through Monday night. Our price comparison chart has been updated with the latest pricing from MacMall, MacConnection and Amazon which continue to have discounts as high at $300 on MacBook Pros.

VMWare also let us know that they are taking the opportunity to offer a substantial one day sale which discounts their Windows virtualization application, VMWare Fusion from $79.99 down to $39.99 using coupon code "CyberMondayDeal". Of note, this discount is combinable with VMWare's $30 competitive rebate for existing Parallels and Virtual PC customers. VMWare's Peter Kazanjy explains that this would bring the cost down to $10 for those switching:
So on Monday, anyone worldwide can pick up Fusion for 50% off (~$40), and Parallels and Virtual PC users in the US and Canada can switch for only $10.
Those interested in the competitive upgrade should buy directly from VMWare (using Promo Code "CyberMondayDeal"). For those who are buying fresh, Amazon is another option as they are also offering VMWare Fusion 2.0 for $39.99 (though it's not clear if the competitive upgrade rebate is honored there).

Article Link: Mac Sales Extend to "Cyber Monday" and VMWare Fusion 2.0 as Low as $10

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
for the $30 rebate, will they need just a product-key from the other programs, or have to have them actually installed and running on the computer?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Also the OQO (the smallest MAC in the World)
http://www.oqotalk.com/index.php/topic,2672.0.html

AT HALF PRICE on Expansys:

OQO model 02 Holiday Weekend Offer
http://www.oqotalk.com/index.php/topic,3274.0.html

Go to
http://www.expansys.com
Select your country on top right corner.
Search for OQO
Sort by price
Look for the 1.6 GHz model. There is one option at half price.

OQO weights 454 g and is pocketable:

OQO model 02
OQO model e2
http://www.oqo.com
http://www.oqo.com/products/modele2/specifications.html

ONLY FROM 28 NOVEMBER TO 1 DECEMBER 2008

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
From the VMWare site:

Copy of Online Rebate Confirmation page (or) Completed Mail in Rebate Form.
Copy of VMware Fusion Proof of Purchase – Store Receipt or Email/Web Order Confirmation.
Original UPC Barcode from VMware Fusion. *
Proof of Previous Ownership of Qualifying Competitive Products†

a) Front cover of product manual (OR)
b) Proof of purchase (receipt, email confirmation, web confirmation) AND product serial number.

Too bad the cyber monday deal can't be applied to academic discount.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
For someone who has never used VMWare Fusion and has only seen Parallels demoed on a tricked-out Mac Pro, what's the verdict on it? At some point I would love to run Windows on here so I can play a few games that are PC-only, but I haven't seen the cost justification (mainly the $200 for XP).

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I got Parallels with the MacUpdate Promo Bundle back in April, I have the email receipt, so I should be able to send that + the product serial number and receive Fusion for $10 correct?

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I got Parallels with the MacUpdate Promo Bundle back in April, I have the email receipt, so I should be able to send that + the product serial number and receive Fusion for $10 correct?

I'm in the same boat getting Parallels with the MU Promo... It all looks legit, but I don't particularly feel comfortable sending VMWare my Parallels serial number.

I'm pretty content with Parallels however, so I'm in no big rush to switch.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Why has naming it "Cyber Monday" been controversial? :confused:

Did you click the link directly after (controversially)?

if you did you might find in the wiki:
Criticism

Some critics online and in the media have called for a boycott of the term, calling it a useless media buzzword with no basis in fact. Fark founder Drew Curtis critically mocks the term in his book It's Not News, It's Fark as a leading example of holiday-based "fluff journalism".[7]

Website

At the official Cyber Monday site run by Shop.org, more than 500 retailers offered discounts for the 2007 holidays. As a Motley Fool article noted, many of these same deals can be found elsewhere.

However, wasn't black friday started the same way as this "Cyber Monday"? And if major companies join the bandwagon then it might become like another black friday, but with out people getting trampled, hurt, or even dying.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO

While Apple is not participating in such activities, the big 3rd party Apple retailers have continued their Black Friday sales through Monday night.
I think it's safe to say Apple is "trying their best"... well not the best but trying to contribute in "Cyber Monday" by offering free shipping on all items in the online store.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think it's safe to say Apple is "trying their best"... well not the best but trying to contribute in "Cyber Monday" by offering free shipping on all items in the online store.

lol however they normally offer free shipping for anything over $50, and there aren't too many worthwhile things on the online store that are less than $50 anyway.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
How on earth are EMC making any money off this thing? First they offer 2.0 as a free upgrade to 1.0 users, and now this $10 switch.

kid rock

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
the vmware discount works in the uk

i have just purchased vmware 2.0 for mac osx from vmwares website for 33.29GBP down from 60GBP+VAT using the "CyberMondayDeal" promo code at the checkout,

just to let you all know, dont know about other countrys tho!

hope this helps

Simon:apple:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
i have just purchased vmware 2.0 for mac osx from vmwares website for 33.29GBP down from 60GBP+VAT using the "CyberMondayDeal" promo code at the checkout,

just to let you all know, dont know about other countrys tho!

The VMWare guy said the $40 price is valid worldwide. It's just the competitive rebate that's limited to the U.S. and Canada.

arn

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
How on earth are EMC making any money off this thing? First they offer 2.0 as a free upgrade to 1.0 users, and now this $10 switch.

Well it helps take market share away from Parallels. Some people that had bought Parallels have been wanting to switch over to Fusion but didn't want to spend another $80 after already paying $80 for Parallels so they just keep using Parallels, this gives them the incentive to make the switch. So if this deal gets 10 people to buy fusion instead of say 1 person buying it at normal price they're still $20 ahead of where they would have been and it gives them more market share in the VM world of Mac which means they can charge for there next version and make even more money.

nado

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
For those interested in virtual machines, have a look at the free VirtualBox. I purchased Parallels last year and after trying VirtualBox for a week, it looks like I'll just ditch my purchase!

http://www.virtualbox.org/

kid rock

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
The VMWare guy said the $40 price is valid worldwide. It's just the competitive rebate that's limited to the U.S. and Canada.

arn

i know that:D, i was just letting people know that it works in the uk and what the price is over here!

Simon

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
hmm, i wonder how sales were this weekend? i guess not all that good, considering they are extending the sales and making new sales in some places. i guess that's good for us consumers though

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
For someone who has never used VMWare Fusion and has only seen Parallels demoed on a tricked-out Mac Pro, what's the verdict on it? At some point I would love to run Windows on here so I can play a few games that are PC-only, but I haven't seen the cost justification (mainly the $200 for XP).

I own licenses for both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, but VMWare Fusion is the better product in all aspects and especially when you also want to run alternate operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris or anything else in it.

However, when you want to play games, you won't be needing either, because games only work properly when you run Windows natively, which in Apple terms means you have to use BootCamp.

But my honest opinion is that you should buy an Xbox 360 for your gaming needs. Apple hardware still is a poor choice for gaming, the company does not even offer up-to-date graphics cards for the Mac Pro series. The already out-dated nVidia 8800GT is the hottest graphics card for games that Apple offers, and that baby is second-last generation at best and choking when you run beasts like Crysis (or even STALKER) on it.

But even if Apple had high-end gaming graphics cards in the offer, the Xbox 360 would still be the better option.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I personally have been disappointed in the Black Friday and now Cyber Monday sales. I've been tracking hard drive prices for over a month waiting patiently for this weekend only to find out there were better deals a month ago (FreeAgent 1tb for $114 and Iomega 2tb for $150). And then recently I've been eyeing the Western Digital TV only to see it jump up in price by $20 this weekend.

Guess the dealers think we're just lemmings and believe we're getting a good deal because it's Thanksgiving weekend. Just waiting for the poor sales results to come in and them sating we're tight with our wallets...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.